Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: LineUponLine ( )
Date: December 12, 2011 12:21AM

Admittedly I am struggling to remove myself from morgbot thinking. Sometimes its big transformations, and sometimes it's just the smallest of things. Like... when something "luckily" happens I still have the ingrained instinct to think "thank you Heavenly Father for helping me out!"

This past week I've caught myself doing this on several different occasions. In that moment I think what if I just said "Thank me" instead. As in "Yahoo you pulled it off, or Thank goodness for a little bit of luck." Ashamedly I still feel pangs of guilt for even considering those thoughts. On the other hand, I feel silly for thinking God would care if my cow jumps back over the fence into my pasture saving me from difficulty in getting her back, and liability for problems she might cause.

Anyone else struggle with this? or are these the obvious pangs of a newb trying to shrug off years of indoctrination.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: seamaiden ( )
Date: December 12, 2011 12:30AM

I still do that, and there is nothing wrong with it. I thank God for good things and when bad things happen I say bless his name instead of saying it in vain... I don't think there is a need to sound like a trucker ( No offence to truckers)

Date: December 12, 2011 12:44AM

Ok so you give credit to God when things go well. But when things go bad to do also give credit to God, or do you blame yourself? (As I do)

I find myself in the position of never taking credit when things go right... aka "glory to God" but ALWAYS taking credit when things go wrong... "I should have done better."

I'm in a never win situation. Is this normal Christian belief? normal Mormon belief? or is this NOT tied to religious belief and just a "self defeating" behavior.

It's obvious this needs to change, but what is a more moderate position to take? (Besides saying there is no God and all things great and horrible are a circumstance of the universe of which I am but a small speck.)

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: December 12, 2011 12:49AM

Yikes.....when you figure it out let me know. I have the same shiz going through my head on a daily basis. I just figure it's part of the process, and this too will pass. I'll think about you when this happens, and send you good thoughts.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: December 12, 2011 12:50AM

Sometimes I add; "And if you ever touch Nana's keys again, Logan, I'll sell you to the gypsies!"

Logan, being two years old, is seldom as afraid as I intend him to be.

It's just a habit for you to "Thank Heavenly Father" and the more you "Thank Me!" or whatever substitute makes you happy, the easier it will be. :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2011 12:52AM by Rebeckah.

Date: December 12, 2011 12:56AM

And when the cow jumps back over the fence I can say "Finally I can go back inside, I'm freezing my nunnies off out here!" "Thank you cow!"

I like how you think! :-) Logan on the other hand, might consider saving up some ransom money for the gypsies.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: December 12, 2011 01:58AM

God I hate cows! I turned down two marriage proposals because of those beasts. Rounding up a pregnant cow at 3 in the morning is not something I could cope with.

Posted by: seamaiden ( )
Date: December 12, 2011 01:05AM

Don't blame yourself when bad things happen, you can't control that!! Your human!! Maybe instead of saying "I should have done better", you could remind yourself how your bettering yourself ( leaving MORG, finding out who you are now) These are good things that take a strong person.
For me, I just perfer to not place blame on anything/one and deal with the problem. When things go wrong, I'm just trying to control my language at that moment. I don't know if that is conditioning or being a parent and not wanting to have a potty mouth around my child.

Posted by: dthenonreligious ( )
Date: December 12, 2011 01:45AM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.