Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: December 15, 2011 08:41AM

Can anyone tell me about this program? My DS is going to be ordained a Teacher and my bishop gave me a flyer about registering my DS for EFY. I am not very keen on the idea of him going to that YBU campus by himself and being subjected to MorCor madness. Plus I live way outside of the MorCor, too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2011 08:41AM by imalive.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: December 15, 2011 09:22AM

Oddly enough. If your son goes, there's a good chance he'll make out with some girls he barely knows.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: December 15, 2011 02:46PM

Went to ESY as a 15-year-old who'd never been kissed and ended up making out on the bus home with some guy I barely knew. No way was I going to be a sweet 16 if I could help it but my on-again-off-again HS boyfriend was a month younger than me and he DID want to be sweet 16. I think he got a car out of it or something. Anyway, we weren't together at the time so I definitely had some fun while we were broken up.

Good times.

Posted by: kookoo4kokaubeam ( )
Date: December 15, 2011 11:08AM

Think LDS Jesus Camp on a college campus. They aren't limited to the Wasatch Front either. You can find them all over the US. Not sure about the rest of the world.

Its basically the same set up as the old youth conferences of yore except its run by travelling bands of paid LDS zealots. Messages are heavy on indoctrination and obedience. I've heard a few do a service project. Someone else can verify that one. Dances and activities in the evening. All heavily supervised.

Take the fun out of the old youth conferences and you basically have EFY.

Posted by: Tabula Rasa ( )
Date: December 15, 2011 11:09AM

It's a youth conference on how to masturbate... err... not to masturbate.

Ron

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 15, 2011 11:14AM

Save your money and send him to a regular, non-LDS camp this summer. Or put the money into his college fund.

Posted by: mothermayeye ( )
Date: December 15, 2011 11:51AM

Raptor Jesus got it right... its more likely that he will make out with a random chic or two than become a saint.

Posted by: Nona ( )
Date: December 15, 2011 08:32PM

I went to one a few years ago, when I was 15 I think.

There was actually a LOT of non-members and less-actives there. Active mormons were in the minority of the people there.

As for what happened, there was a lot of gospel stuff. I found it quite boring. A lot of things similar to Sunday School lessons.

In the evenings there would usually be some moderately-physical activities. I didn't like them, although most of the people there seemed to love the games. It was like team games every evening.

The youth were HEAVILY supervised, and males and females are seperated most of the time. And they group people by age a lot aswell.

I was quite an introvert, so I often wanted to go back to my room just to be alone every now and then, but it was almost impossible. The organizers would take my keys and only give them to me after the night-time prayer and scripture study. That was probably the most annoying thing about it all.

There were also dances at the night, until about 9pm. Nobody ever "danced" though. They'd just have Timbaland, 50 Cent, Justin Timberlake, Akon, Eminem, Gwen Stefani, Fergie, Nelly Furtado, Rihanna, Britney Spears, etc. songs playing while all the youth just stood around and chatted to each other. Again, as an introvert, I HATED this, as they forced you to go there, and talk to people you didn't know for hours on end. It wasn't my type of thing.

From my experience, there was practically no male/female interaction at all. Even if anybody held hands they'd be promptly told off about it.

It wasn't too bad. It's probably fun if you're an extrovert. A lot of the non-members that went there seemed to want to convert to mormonism by the time it ended. But I think you should let your son go if he wants to. He is 14, and it's possible it could drive him away from the church, since it's very strict.

Posted by: foxy (not logged in) ( )
Date: December 16, 2011 12:31AM

It's awful, mind numbing and I've never been so sleep-deprived.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.