Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: intellectualfeminist ( )
Date: December 16, 2011 01:06PM

Duder brought this up in another thread. I've been going through the new strength of youth pamphlet online, and I am SO FUCKING PISSED OFF.
I figured I would be, but once again, seeing the bullshit in black and white makes my blood pressure rise.
Sure enough, the homophobic bigotry is alive and well:

"Homosexual and lesbian behavior is a serious sin. If you find yourself struggling with same-gender attraction or you are being persuaded to participate in inappropriate behavior, seek counsel from your parents and bishop. They will help you".

I shouldn't be surprised, but the fact that this is targeted at the youth at one of the most vulnerable times in their lives (particularly for LGBTQ youth).......is absolutely unacceptable, unforgivable, and untenable.

On the other hand, they've made some progress. They've removed the bigoted reference to (preferably) marrying someone of your own race, Oh, and there's no mention of masturbation leading to blindness, so I guess the cult is now part of the 20th century. In another 100 years, they might even make it to the 21st.

There is plenty of other objectionable contact, reinforcing of negative gender stereotypes, pushing the temple, implying indirectly and frequently blatantly shouting that Mormonism and Mormons are better than everyone else, which is also unacceptable for part-member familes and anyone who has a relationship with Mormon youth.

Yep, I'll definitely be talking to my boys' TBM dad about this. And if necessary, I'll gladly meet with their bishop to point out my objections to the material and set him straight on what I will and will not allow my boys to learn and be subjected to.

I'm done with this shit.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 16, 2011 01:12PM

And of course it is TSCC who gets to define "inappropiate".

Posted by: Duder ( )
Date: December 16, 2011 01:13PM

Early in the crud, there is this gem:

"You are responsible for the choices you make. God is mindful of you and will help you make good choices, even if your family and friends use their agency in ways that are not right. Have the moral courage to stand firm in obeying God’s will, even if you have to stand alone. As you do this, you set an example for others to follow."

I think I'll use that one with my boys and explain to them that God's will was for me to finally tell the truth, make my own decisions, and break free from an organization that was built on lies and the perpetuation of lies, and that wanted to direct my every step.

Currently, that means I must stand alone at times, while my friends and family stay in their land of make-believe.

Posted by: intellectualfeminist ( )
Date: December 16, 2011 01:21PM

Nice catch Duder, I missed that one. Yeah, at the moment, the cheese stands alone here too. Although my now adult daughter is very independent NOM and kinda straddling the border. And my boys know that people do leave and the world doesn't come to an end. It's just sickening to see how much indoctrination there is; fortunately, the cult is fighting a losing battle, but there are still far too many casualties.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.