Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: DeAnn ( )
Date: December 17, 2011 10:14PM

relative to someone else's idea of god.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: greekgod ( )
Date: December 17, 2011 10:24PM

Well, isn't atheist a term meaning "without a belief in a deity?"

So if you believe in a deity, even if you don't believe in some Greek God, you are still a theist/deist.

I get what you're saying but it would be pointless to run around telling Christians or Muslims or Jews "You're an atheist!"

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: December 17, 2011 10:26PM

greekgod Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well, isn't atheist a term meaning "without a
> belief in a deity?"
>
> So if you believe in a deity, even if you don't
> believe in some Greek God, you are still a
> theist/deist.
>
> I get what you're saying but it would be pointless
> to run around telling Christians or Muslims or
> Jews "You're an atheist!"

I agree. It is j ust changing the definition and doesn't accomplish anything. Everyone knows that no one believes in every god who ever was worshipped.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 17, 2011 10:30PM

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: December 17, 2011 10:27PM

Date: December 17, 2011 10:29PM

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: December 18, 2011 12:28AM

Who was it who said, "Atheist are not all that different from Christians. You and I understand that it is silly to believe in all the other gods, I just see it as silly to believe in yours as well." Or words to that effect.

Posted by: tanngrisnir ( )
Date: December 18, 2011 05:29AM

That money analogy is silly. I don't think foreign money is worthless, and I would be just as happy to get millions of Euros as millions of dollars. I'd just go to a currency exchange, or move to Europe. Also, the term atheist predates Christianity and was originally used by pagan Greeks to describe those who didn't believe in their Gods. At one time, Christians were the Atheists.

As a non sequitur, I'd also like to point out that many strains of paganism are at least full of enthralling characters, unlike the humdrum desert scum that star in Christianity. As the modern day practitioners of Norse Paganism say, "My God carries a hammer. Your god was nailed to a cross. Any questions?"

Posted by: Richard Foxe ( )
Date: December 18, 2011 05:44PM

People sacrifice their "selves" for it, as well as their loves and families, they kill, lie, cheat, and steal for it. But people in general are rather parochial about it: stores only accept the local currency, in the U.S. people expect to be paid in dollars instead of talas, and being a millionaire here (Japan) doesn't mean much if it's yen. On a practical level, most people do reject other moneys in favor of their own.

But then there are religious people who understand that theists all seek union with divinity, no matter what name they call their god.

Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: December 18, 2011 01:13PM

You are I are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer God than you. When you realise why you don't believe in all the other possible Gods, you'll know why I don't believe in yours.

Or words to that affect.

Posted by: Richard Foxe ( )
Date: December 18, 2011 12:42AM

Everyone thinks money is worthless...at least when it's foreign. You only value your own country's currency because it's the only one you can spend in town, that your banks handle, etc.

You don't see the difference between "a god" and the notion of the numinous (divinity) itself.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: December 18, 2011 04:21AM

define "god" :)

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: December 18, 2011 06:59PM

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: December 18, 2011 08:05AM

DeAnn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> relative to someone else's idea of god.

You DO realise that's a bogus argument, don't you?

It just means that they are theists of a different stripe. Not that they are atheists of any kind at all.

Posted by: larry john ( )
Date: December 18, 2011 08:14AM

See neil donald walsch books conversations with god 1-3
We are all god, godding. We got so fucking board up there
we chose to come down to earth and other worlds to take on
mortal or alien flesh, and forget where we come from so that
it wasnt about learning anything as a test but to remember who we really were GOD in collective conciousness, split like an atom every living thing, energy in form still god.
Knowing this earth inhabitants dont get a free ticket for ego
and killing others but actualy love everyone as god and see god in everyone and all equal, no judging does not exist by a loving god because we are all god godding, nothing to be envious about as there is plenty for everyone.

larry..

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: December 18, 2011 08:19AM

... christian atheists, like muslims, and muslim atheists, like christians, are always at each other's throat.

Its the "my god is real, your god is not" thang.

There are no atheists in foxholes. Won't find 'em in no terrorist training camps neither.

Timothy

Posted by: Zeezromp ( )
Date: December 18, 2011 09:33AM

My take on Athiesm as I class myself as on is that we don't believe in any of the versions of God/Creator presented unto us past and present and hence we reject (via facts) all the claims made by those claiming to 'represent' or claims have 'been called' by God/Creator and hence reject their demands as well ( usually money, women and obedience to their dictatorial rules conveniently made in their favour).

Maybe someone/something did create/cause everything to come into existence but has certainly not made themselves known to us IMO.

Athiesm used to scare me, now it's the other way round. Religion scares me!

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: December 18, 2011 02:43PM

It's true. Everyone is an atheist about some/most of the gods they don't accept.

The difference is that some are also theists about a specific one they do accept.

So, it's all in context depending on what god you don't accept in common.

I don't think an average theist would agree with me saying he believes in ALL gods. So he is an atheist only in that sense. However the fact he believes in a god at all makes him a theist as well . The word "a-theist" only works for a theist if we are discussing a specific god he says he hold no belief in.

The catch is getting the theist to explain why his god is any more credible than the others.

Date: December 18, 2011 02:48PM

Atheism is a lack of theism. If you have a belief of the existance of certain gods but not others then you are not an Atheist.

Posted by: AtheistMarine ( )
Date: December 18, 2011 04:48PM

Didn't we just have a huge multi-thread debate about this a week ago? Deja-freakin-vu

Posted by: rodolfo ( )
Date: December 18, 2011 09:31PM

Here is the list of all the gods you don't believe in.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2008/02/11/gods-we-dont-believe-in/

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.