Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: thinker ( )
Date: December 24, 2011 04:20PM

I remember having a conversation with a TBM when I was a member of the LDS church 2 long years ago. We were going out of town and needed someone to watch our dog. The TBM was offering to watch the dog for us, and I was objecting, stating that it would be too much trouble for him, since he was elderly and it really did feel like too much of an imposition. I remember his argument, which at the time, left me without a leg to stand on. He simply said "are you going to deny me the blessings?"

I was reflecting on this and similar conversations I've had with members of the Mormon church over the years, and I realize now that there is an ulterior motive in their being of service. They believe that service is an obligation. It is not necessarily an act performed out of love...it is ingrained into their thought processes that turning down service opportunities will result in negative consequences, the greatest of which will be being turned away from the Celestial Kingdom. So much for free agency. What a crock...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: msmom ( )
Date: December 24, 2011 05:12PM

It feels pretty cool to be of service, to make the world a little more like we all wish it could be.

Maybe that's all he meant. That's what I would mean (and I would be happy to tend your doggy!)

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: December 24, 2011 05:25PM

I've heard other mormons say this. Heard is discussed in classes. The thought process, or belief, is that you deny people of blessings if you never ask anyone to help you with things. It's a way of making people feel guilty if you won't let them help you with something they want to help you with.

Posted by: Zeezromp ( )
Date: December 24, 2011 05:42PM

I experienced this mindset during two years attending.

Doing things for others was all about getting blessings whatever they were meant to be? Maybe it's just a feel good factor for having helped someone out that they interpret as blessings or maybe they think it adds points towards Celestial Glory?

It's also a way of attracting recruits to the church and I think they feel it will help their cause to Celestial Glory if they can convert/attract others to the church/cult.

Mormons tend to attribute anything they do for others as a direct result of LDS church membership and that perhaps they wouldn't bother normally?

I think this whole service to others is the only way they can make themselves look acceptable to the outside world as their Book of Mormon historical claims are false. Thats why they always try to get people to attend the church rather than study Native American History.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2011 05:43PM by zeezrom.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: December 24, 2011 10:38PM

I don't think they are trying to be deceptive. They don't think there are any problems with the bom. Therefore do not need to do good deeds to distract from that topic.

I think it is more like, brownie points in heaven. There is no thinking past that type of idea.

Some people are sincere, it is difficult to sort out who is who.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 24, 2011 05:42PM

the 'ChurchCo' pattern is Definately-Undeniably Manipulative;
I Honestly feel that it's so ingrained that many if not most of them don't appreciate - know that...

OTOH, motivation, being internal, is 'impossible' to understand/know 100%.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 24, 2011 10:06PM

I got a couple of tithing bills from bishopric strangers in the local ward where I'd moved. They said if I'd pay up, I could expect blessings, if not, I'd lose.

I tossed their letter in the trash. Hadn't been a mormon in my mind for over six years at that time and the fools were still using that tired old line. LOL

Posted by: Calypso ( )
Date: December 24, 2011 10:35PM

I've always thought the same thing...to me it's always seemed like TBM's go the extra mile just to get themselves higher in heaven...like every good deed they do is another rung in their ladder up to the Celestial kingdom. I'm sure there's many people who truly do stuff like that out of the goodness of their hearts but in my ward, those people were few and far between.

Posted by: BahBahBlacki ( )
Date: December 24, 2011 11:28PM

A friend wanted to help me get some things I needed, but couldn't afford at the time. I said I would just get them later, and she said, "C'mon! You'd deny me the chance to get blessings?"

Even after I left the church she remains my best friend, and she probably really did want to help, but even back then I felt a bit bothered by what she said, because it guilted me into complying.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.