Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: allicat ( )
Date: January 12, 2012 06:54PM

My other thread was getting hard for me to manage and I wanted to just say a quick thank you to everyone who heard me out.

I've decided, after watching/listening to the clips sent to me, reading the pages and just..well thinking, that I should never have gotten tangled up in the church in the first place, but that I need to figure out a way to cut off contact with the church, and fast.

How have some of you broken your ties with the church? Since none of my family or close friends are involved, I don't have any fears of longterm issues..but I have made a few friends in the church.

Thank you all very much

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: greekgod ( )
Date: January 12, 2012 06:57PM

Just shut em out. Don't answer their phone calls, don't answer the door. If you do, tell them you are not interested and shut the door.

If you have friends you can be firm about your opinions and simply tell them you do not want to be preached to and let them decide if they wish to remain friends, or you can just let the relationships slowly die off by gradually withdrawing contact.

Posted by: Rob ( )
Date: January 12, 2012 06:58PM

I think you will find out quickly whether or not these "church friends" are real friends or not. Once you make it clear that you are not joining sit back and watch them scatter.

Sorry.

Church consumes so much of their time / lives that unless you have a strong non-church related bond with any of them, it will be over.

Date: January 12, 2012 07:04PM

@Rob thank you for that. I guess I wouldn't feel a total loss if they disappeared, but it was nice having some friends in the area. This city is a biiig place. But I'm thinking of doing some "church shopping," so maybe I can find somewhere I fit in and actually believe.

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: January 12, 2012 06:59PM

When I saw your name here, I froze.

My most TBM brother is married to a woman who uses "allicat" as her email name.

Based on what you've written I know it's not you.

But for a split second.... I wondered.

:)

Regarding your question, there must be a "million ways" to cut ties. Some of your TBM friends might appreciate an email simply stating that you've re-thought your involvement, and it's just not for you.

If you want to resign, there are sample letters you can send/email to the church. I never did that, since I was ex'd. But apparently you just have to send the letter, and voila! you're no longer a member.

Good luck!

PapaKen

Date: January 12, 2012 07:03PM

@PapaKen Lol definitely not who you thought I was. My name is Alliana so they've always just called me alli cat.

Luckily, I haven't been baptized, so I have no formal paperwork to do. I just am hoping they don't come by my place. My roommmate does not know that I was speaking with them, nor should she ever find out.

Posted by: jerry64 ( )
Date: January 12, 2012 07:04PM

There must be 50 ways...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2012 07:05PM by jerry64.

Posted by: ronas ( )
Date: January 12, 2012 07:17PM

Based on my experience as a missionary you can just not answer the phone or the door when they come by and they will eventually get the message - I think that's what they usually did with me.

What you don't want to do is give the missionaries an opportunity as they call it to "resolve your concerns". If you do talk to them just let them know that you've changed your mind and are no longer interested. You can be polite and firm about this. You don't owe them any more information that this. Don't ask them questions about your concerns and don't answer their questions about why. If you give any indication that you want to discuss it with them you're in for a difficult situation - they have a lot more experience with this than you do. They won't change your mind, but it's going to be a frustrating uncomfortable experience especially where you like them.

Or if you want to have some fun just tell them you have been lying and you are bisexual and that the Mormon church obviously just isn't for you. If you can have a girl on hand to make out with that would make it even better. They wouldn't have a clue what to do with that one. (And then they'd probably secretly whack off in the bathroom in their apartment thinking about it.)

You mentioned returning the materials in your other thread - no need, just throw them away. They don't expect them back.

If you have made any real, true friendships with the Mormons you can probably keep them. But I'd guess they are more friendly acquaintances that true friends and Mormons tend to have pretty full social schedules just with their involvement with their wards so don't expect much interaction with them unless you have made a couple of really great friendships.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2012 07:19PM by ronas.

Date: January 12, 2012 07:21PM

@ronas Oh that is so gross "(And then they'd probably secretly whack off in the bathroom thinking about it)"

It almost makes me sad that these two kids, they definitely are younger than me, are doing this stuff. One of them was talking to me about missing video games. ...Definitely a first world problem but still, made me a little sad. In another life perhaps we could have been pals.

I will probably throw the books in a book recycling bin at our grocery store. They either donate the books to a prison or completely recycle the unusable ones.

I'll make sure to destroy it so it just gets made into new paper.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.