Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: azirongrl ( )
Date: January 12, 2012 05:09PM

Hello all: I'm a new member here - been perusing the forums for a while, but just joined the group fully.

I was a convert to the Church about 11 years ago, and my husband is a life-long member (his entire family is TBM). We haven't been "active" for several years, but finally took the plunge and resigned our membership officially.

We received our cancellation letters on 12/31/11 - what an amazing way to kick of a new year. I am finally full of hope and feel free to be ME. However, I read somewhere on this site today that even resigning one's membership does not cancel a temple marriage. My husband and I were married civilly, and later sealed in the temple.

How do I go about cancelling/revoking our temple sealing? We're still married (quite happily, since we're on the same page with this stuff), but don't want to be bound in any way to the Church.

Any experience with this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 12, 2012 05:15PM

Maybe forestpal will give you her experience. If you are not divorced--and if you aren't going to remarry in the temple to another man, then they won't even look at it. It will all be worked out in the "next life."

My husband is gay. We've been "separated" for 16 years. We both resigned a year ago. Fat chance I can get a temple divorce.

For me--I wouldn't have even resigned except I needed to make a statement to some people who kept hoping I still believed deep down. (I had some really bad reactions from some people when they found out.) It isn't for them to say I am temple divorced--it is for me to say. I'm not even legally divorced, but anyone who knows me say I'm the most divorced person they know (as I've worked through the emotional end of it).

Posted by: Former Finance Clerk ( )
Date: January 13, 2012 01:04PM

Your resignation has the effect of canceling your temple sealing. It is considered to be 'revoked'. You are in a situation nearly identical to someone who had been excommunicated.

The only way the sealing and endowmnent can be restored to you would be through a "Restoration of Blessings" ordinance which is done after readmission (which is done through rebaptism).

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: January 13, 2012 01:08PM

This seems to be a bone of contention on this board. Some people say resignation cancels the sealing, other people say it doesn't.

Posted by: lily ( )
Date: January 13, 2012 01:09PM

I'm a nevermo, so take this for what it's worth-

I believe TSCC would consider you still sealed b/c they know better than you do and they believe you still "need" to be sealed. That's just how much faith I have in them.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: January 13, 2012 01:15PM

Do your own "Cancelling Temple Sealing Ceremony." It will be equally valid to the original.

Posted by: Naomi ( )
Date: January 13, 2012 02:53PM

Devoted Exmo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Do your own "Cancelling Temple Sealing Ceremony."
> It will be equally valid to the original.

That actually might be a good idea for me - I know it's all fake and shouldn't matter, but the idea that I'm still technically sealed to my ex-husband still bothers me. Some kind of ceremony to cancel it might help me feel better.

Posted by: Good Luck ( )
Date: January 13, 2012 02:31PM

Do a search on the name Wings she write about this alot.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: January 13, 2012 02:35PM

You will be on their records as a sealed couple who resigned. They will keep it that way until you are 110.

There is nothing you can do about it.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: January 13, 2012 07:35PM

The 110 year thing has to do with someone still being counted as a member until age 110 unless LDS Inc is notified of their death earlier. Since the majority of members are inactive, LDS Inc doesn't get informed when they die.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2012 07:35PM by Brother Of Jerry.

Posted by: drilldoc ( )
Date: January 13, 2012 02:56PM

remarried in the temple, I would just let it go.

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: January 13, 2012 04:07PM

Yeah Baby, Yeah!

Posted by: Rickster ( )
Date: January 13, 2012 05:42PM

What about me? My wife and children have officially resigned, but I haven't done it just yet. How would the church currently class our sealing??

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.