Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: January 24, 2012 05:07PM

"With the release of Mitt Romney's tax records on Tuesday, the world now knows what was previously known only by a select few: Mitt and Ann Romney pay 10 percent of their income in tithing to their faith.

"Traditionally, tithing records are viewed as a confidential matter between members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and the lay leader of their church congregation, but for the Romneys in the midst of a presidential campaign, those donations are now a matter of public record.

"And a matter for possible misunderstanding. The Romneys, as is common among LDS Church members and in all kinds of American charitable giving, made many of their donations to their faith through appreciated stock, according to the tax return for 2010 Romney released today and his estimated taxes for 2011.

"Last week ABC News distorted the way tithing traditionally is paid . . . by LDS Church members by reporting that Romney 'carved his church a slice of several of (Bain Capital's) most lucrative business deals, securities records show, providing it with millions of dollars worth of stock in some of Bain Capital's most well-known holdings," including Burger King, Domino's Pizza, electronics manufacturer DDi, phosphates company Innophos Holdings and Marquee Holdings, the parent company to AMC Theaters.

"Romney campaign spokeswoman Andrea Saul said there was no slice-carving going on, nor was there anything surreptitious in the transaction. Romney simply followed long-established methods of donating shares of stock to the LDS Church as part of his annual tithe, much the way many philanthropists donate to charities and institutions.

"'Mitt Romney has publicly stated that he regularly tithes to his church,' Saul said. 'Some of those church contributions have come through the Tyler Foundation (Romney's family charity). Others have been donations of stock through Bain. Any shares donated by Mitt Romney are personal shares owned by him.'

"At least one blogger, Stu Burguiere of The Blaze, made light of ABC's breathless approach to the story. 'Mitt Romney accused of blatant tithing!' Burguiere's headline said, following with: 'How dare he? SCANDAL!' . . .

"Romney had 'income of $21.7 million in 2010 and $20.9 million last year — virtually all of it profits, dividends or interest from investments,' according to the Washington Post's story about the release of his tax information. . . .

"The Post also noted that the Romneys 'gave away $7 million in charitable contributions over the past two years, including at least $4.1 million' to the LDS Church. Paying 10 percent of their annual income in tithing, what members of the LDS Church refer to as 'a full tithe,' makes Romney, if nothing else, a typical Mormon. According to the recently released Pew Research Center survey of 'Mormons in America . . . ,' nearly 80 percent people who identify themselves as Mormons pay tithing. By comparison, research released by the Barna Group in 2008 indicated that 5 percent of American adults tithe.

"Romney's tithe-paying may now be caught up in politics the way his income is, a possibility Chris Wallace of 'Fox News Sunday' explored with Romney last Sunday. . . .

"'You have been very open about the fact that like a lot of other devout Mormons, you tithe to your church,' Wallace said. 'Given the results that we saw in South Carolina, do you think it might be any kind of a political problem, the fact that, being as wealthy are you are, you've given millions of dollars to the (LDS Church)?'

"Romney said he hoped his faith-based donations would not be a political problem.

"'If people want to discriminate against someone based upon their commitment to tithe, I'd be very surprised,' he said. 'This is a country that believes in the Bible. The Bible speaks about providing tithes and offerings. I made a commitment to my church a long, long time ago that I would give 10 percent of my income to the church. And I followed through on that commitment.

"'And, hopefully, as people look at various individuals running for president, they'd be pleased with someone who made a promise to God and kept that promise," Romney continued. "So, if I had given less than 10 percent, then I think people would have had to look at me and say, hey, what's wrong with you, fella? Don't you follow through on the promises?'"

(Joseph Walker, "Mitt Romney Hopes Millions He Tithes to LDS Church Isn't Politicized," in "Deseret News," 24 January 2012, at: http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700218439/Mitt-Romney-hopes-millions-he-tithes-to-LDS-Church-isnt-politicized.html?pg=1)

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2012 05:43PM by steve benson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elcid ( )
Date: January 24, 2012 05:10PM

Actually when I looked at the numbers he paid 7% in tithing. But anyway, paying that much money to a "charity" (it is NOT that) will cause alot of people to ask questions about the "why" do they need so much money? And then they dig deeper...

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 24, 2012 06:18PM

The Deseret News has a lot of nerve accusing someone else of false reporting....

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: January 24, 2012 07:34PM

"According to the recently released Pew Research Center survey of 'Mormons in America . . . ,' nearly 80 percent people who identify themselves as Mormons pay tithing."

This can't be right. Lots of people who claim LDS affiliation don't tithe at all. Even if just in the USA, this category includes millions of non-tithe-paying inactive members (who still ID as LDS), who far outnumber active members. Foreign numbers would be much worse.

And do even 80% of active members pay tithing? Highly unlikely, as total number of members holding temple recommends is usually only a small percentage of total active members.

And of course, "pay tithing" can refer to paying a dollar only, as there is no way to know if the supposed tithe payer is a FULL (10%) tithe payer.

What's up with these "Pew Center" stats? Help me out here, people...

Posted by: Stunted ( )
Date: January 24, 2012 07:51PM

That allows for a lot of wiggle room as far as the survey goes. How did they phrase the question? Was it multiple choice with "inactive" being one option?

I actually think it's encouraging. This means that 20% of the people who willingly admit they are Mormons don't pay the cult anything at all. How many of the remaining 80% pay 10% of their gross?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2012 07:53PM by Stunted.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: January 24, 2012 09:18PM

Yeah, what's wrong with you fella....why don't you give more money to people in need that does not fall under the umbrella of the LDS Church? Why don't you just give some of those millions to families that have nothing.....like $500.00 to 100 people for starters? Pay for all their basic health care too. Get them all a car. Now that is real charity. Guess you like to hold on to the 29 million you still have-got that figure from one acct. somewhere else. Anyhow, Mitt is not one of the people. He lives in a different world.

Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: January 25, 2012 08:14AM

This line:
"And a matter for possible misunderstanding. The Romneys, as is common among LDS Church members and in all kinds of American charitable giving, made many of their donations to their faith through appreciated stock, according to the tax return for 2010 Romney released today and his estimated taxes for 2011. "

Makes it subtle, but it sounds like they're arguing that donating appreciated stocks is common and normal. As though the 99% are doing just like the 1% who have a heart.

WTF?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2012 08:15AM by Jesus Smith.

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: January 25, 2012 11:19AM

It's because of bulls.hit like this that I don't ever believe anything I see from Deseret News anymore. It's a laughing stock example of pseudo journalism.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: January 26, 2012 10:33AM

Deseret News writers are just PR hacks for the Mormon church. In fact, do they actually HAVE writers any more? Or has it become a mission calling?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.