Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: February 03, 2012 01:10AM

On this thread regarding where we were and what we were doing when we finally decided to quit the church once and for all (the original thread was started by Cheryl):

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,407290,407624#msg-407624

Mia made a very interesting observation that a lot of us were in church meetings in those moments. CA Girl and I thought it would be interesting to have a simple yes or no poll along that line.

Soooooooo............ Please respond with only a YES or NO to the following question:

Were you in a church meeting when you decided to quit the church for good?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2012 01:26AM by Queen of Denial.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: February 03, 2012 01:10AM

Yes,

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: February 03, 2012 01:15AM

No

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: February 03, 2012 01:17AM

Yes.

And can I just say when this thread turns out to be a lot of fun for everyone, I will share credit with you :)

Posted by: Kablam ( )
Date: February 03, 2012 01:25AM

No.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: February 03, 2012 02:02AM

No. I was walking out of the Patriarch's plush apartment after receiving my PB.

Posted by: reasonabledoubt ( )
Date: February 03, 2012 02:03AM

No, and I think it would be impossible for me to recollect if there ever was a single moment, as there was a several years period of oscillating between trying to maintain faith and just going with the ever growing realization that there was nothing in the world, or my life, no single reason at all, to believe in a God. Maybe the fact that I quit God before I quit the church is why I never had an "Aha!" exmormon moment.

Posted by: subliminal ( )
Date: February 03, 2012 02:04AM

No

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: February 03, 2012 02:05AM

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: February 03, 2012 02:07AM

No

Posted by: FreeRose ( )
Date: February 03, 2012 02:07AM

Posted by: elderborracho ( )
Date: February 03, 2012 02:52AM

It was a "one on one" meeting with the bishop when he told me I shouldn't have baptized and confirmed my niece because I wasn't a full tithe payer! Seriously?! WTF?! It is obviously all about the dollar! I am out!

Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: February 03, 2012 02:52AM

No.

I was reading The Changing World of Mormonism at home on the internet.

Posted by: moonbeam ( )
Date: February 03, 2012 03:10AM

Yes. Or while I was walking out the door after sacrament meeting. I guess that counts.

Posted by: apikoros ( )
Date: February 03, 2012 03:23AM

Yes, if watching General Conference counts ... Hinckley lied egregiously, and I said "Thats it - I'm outta here!"

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: February 03, 2012 03:25AM

I did foolishly go to the college institute directer with questions that bothered me. He had no reasonable answers and I realized I didn't want to be part of such a manipulative and contradictory organization.

A few days later I woke from a dream realizing I could actually leave if I was willing to give up all of my friends and family. Seemed like a good choice to be a hermit if necessary rather than a mormon. At least I'd have a chance to be myself and not a cheap copy of the morg ideal.

Posted by: bingoe4 ( )
Date: February 03, 2012 03:27AM

No

Posted by: rt ( )
Date: February 03, 2012 03:38AM

No

I was sitting at my kitchen table, watching my entire life fall apart in one fell swoop.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: February 03, 2012 03:51AM

Yes

Posted by: atheist&happy:-) ( )
Date: February 03, 2012 03:53AM

help you reach your breaking point.

Posted by: Mateo Pastor ( )
Date: February 03, 2012 05:34AM

No.

I was on a Greyhound bus from Salt Lake to Las Vegas, reading and discussing the BoM with a friend, when he made me realize there were to many things that didn't make sense.

Months later with the same friend, I was on another bus from Madrid to the Jerte Valley in March (when the valley around this little river is covered in cherry blossom, and we were going to hike through it for a few days), when he made me realize I didn't even want to pretend to believe anymore.

A few months after that, I was reading Simon Southerton's story on this forum (no. 125 I believe), when I decided to inform my friends and relatives that I was leaving.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: February 03, 2012 05:39AM

We were waiting for the right time, but then decided at the spur of the moment to walk out forever.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: February 03, 2012 05:56AM

No.

Posted by: fenodyree ( )
Date: February 03, 2012 06:34AM

No

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: February 03, 2012 06:50AM

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: February 03, 2012 07:05AM

No

and I can just about hear my mum saying "If CA girl told you to jump off a cliff would you do that too?"

Date: February 03, 2012 12:00PM

Posted by: Lost ( )
Date: February 03, 2012 07:15AM

Yes

Posted by: Tabula Rasa ( )
Date: February 03, 2012 07:19AM

No

Posted by: peregrine ( )
Date: February 03, 2012 07:21AM

No, but I was studying for a SS lesson that I had to teach.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: February 03, 2012 08:08AM

No

Posted by: icanseethelight ( )
Date: February 03, 2012 08:23AM

Yes and no. I have left more than once

Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: February 03, 2012 08:29AM

No, but I was prepping to teach EQ on the topic, "Temples of the Lord".

Posted by: Pil-Latté ( )
Date: February 03, 2012 10:49AM

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: February 03, 2012 10:51AM

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: February 03, 2012 10:59AM

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: February 03, 2012 11:02AM

Posted by: exmollymo ( )
Date: February 03, 2012 11:02AM

No, I was in my bedroom studying and praying.

I did go to the temple one last time a few weeks later at my husbands request and I received another confirmation to never return.

Posted by: mechwerks ( )
Date: February 03, 2012 11:04AM

My wife and I were 99% sure that the church was all B.S. (due to doctrine AND history) but we decided to give it one more try. We went to church the following Sunday and things were normally boring until the last hour.

During EQ meeting the instructor went on and on about how wonderful Joseph Smith was after being tarred and feathered. I asked the class if anyone knew exactly why this happened to him. People mumbled something about Satan and the truthyness of the gospel. I didn't share the fact that it was mormons who did this because they were upset with Joe coming on to their wives and daughters. I was so uncomfortable for the rest of the hour having to listening to this pure bullshit.

At the end of church I met up with my wife who was crying hard. I asked her what was the matter. She said we had to get out of the building immediately. After we got home, she calmed down enough to explain how messed up the her experience in Relief Society was. She had the same tar and feather lesson and had the same feelings of disgust that I had. Her feelings were compounded after the women started bearing their testimony/undying love for JS. My wife saw how delusional these women were and how warped they had become due to the distortion of historical facts (she had just finshed reading "In Sacred Loneliness").

We were 100% sure after that point and never went back.

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: February 03, 2012 11:29AM

No.

I was one of those uber annoying TBM Jackmormons who hadn't been to church in 20 years.

Posted by: rutabaga ( )
Date: February 03, 2012 11:45AM

Posted by: Helen ( )
Date: February 03, 2012 11:46AM

It was an early afternoon when we were living in Germany.

I was standing in our dining room and I KNEW I was leaving that church.

I KNOW the church is not true - notinthenameofjesuschristamen :-)

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: February 03, 2012 11:51AM

Yes, technically.

I was in church, I left knowing I would never go back. I did not know the church was false yet though.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: February 03, 2012 11:56AM

I knew this would be a good topic. Sounds like a minority, but a surprisingly large minority, quit Mormonism during a Mormon meeting. Interesting.

Of course, Mo's would take it as proof we were offended...ugh!

Date: February 03, 2012 12:04PM

I figured putting your name in the topic line would do it! Yay us! I thought there might be more, but there are enough yes answers to make me smile.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: February 03, 2012 12:17PM

Trust me, by the end, I found the meetings pretty offensive, so if they want to say I was offended about almost everything they had to offer, it's fine with me.

Posted by: drilldoc ( )
Date: February 03, 2012 12:14PM

I had just finished confirming my daughter the day after her baptism. We've never been back since. All of us!

Posted by: wantthetruth ( )
Date: February 03, 2012 12:17PM

YES, But I had been emotionally out for years. Priesthood lesson on why blacks weren't allowed the opportunity to have the priesthood prior to 1978 and why they are actually black. Lifer mormon that knows the history and past doctrine blatantly and deliberately lied to the class saying, "We don't know why." And I knew he knew! Looked over to my black friend who was in class with me, shook my head, got up and walked out for good. Sorry Queen. Couldn't keep it to just one word.Sometimes my emotional dam isn't strong enough. wantthetruth

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: February 03, 2012 12:19PM

No

Posted by: ronas ( )
Date: February 03, 2012 12:30PM

no

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: February 03, 2012 12:33PM

No. I was on my sofa reading the bible.

Posted by: mcarp ( )
Date: February 03, 2012 01:48PM

Yes.

Posted by: Tngal1 ( )
Date: February 03, 2012 02:02PM

I was listening to a talk about how lil girls are responsible for the thoughts they put in boys' heads.. UGH!

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: February 03, 2012 02:05PM

Posted by: Cali Sally ( )
Date: February 03, 2012 02:12PM

Watching Larry King interview GB Hinkley as he said TSCC never taught that god was once a man and men can become gods. The lie was LIVE !!

Posted by: rescueranger ( )
Date: February 03, 2012 02:14PM

No I was sitting at my computer.

Posted by: AnonyMs ( )
Date: February 03, 2012 02:37PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.