Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: February 04, 2012 05:56PM

"Do you uphold your husband before God as your lord? 'What! - my husband to be my lord?' I ask, Can you get into the celestial kingdom without him? Have any of you been there? You will remember that you never got into the celestial kingdom without the aid of your husband. If you did, it was because your husband was away, and some one had to act proxy for him. No woman will get into the celestial kingdom, except her husband receives her, if she is worthy to have a husband; and if not, somebody will receive her as a servant" (Journal of Discourses 5:291).

-Erastus Snow, 1857

I have TBM females in my extended families who dedicated their entire lives to the church and didn't marry. According to Mormon doctrine, the best they can hope to attain - if they are lucky - is to be somebody elses servant!!!

Yet I have never met a TBM in my entire life who has vocalised their belief in this doctrine. It's always "it will all work out", "God will provide them the opportunity marry in the spirit world" and such.

Has this doctrine ever been changed from it's original form, or is it just one of those constantly evolving doctrines that is actually considered myth today.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: February 04, 2012 06:01PM

If you don't land the right man, or A man in this life, and you are righteous, you will be assigned one.

One way or the other, gotta have a man.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: February 04, 2012 06:30PM

My DW tries to tell me that she will be happy being a servant, and single.

I of course tell her, if and when such a time comes, she will want to do the will of her Lord, Jesus Christ. So if he tells her to marry (polygamously, of course), she will likely do so. She admits anything is possible.

She still hopes that somehow, I will be redeemed from my apostasy, and that she will wait for me as long as it takes.

My tbm kids all tell me they will be monogamous, and will still be exalted, cuz that's the popular new LDS doctrine now.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.