Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nancy Rigdon ( )
Date: February 03, 2012 09:40PM

Here's a quick link to JS's individual record on the LDS website familysearch.org along with some simple, direct questions that can be proposed to TBMs. These are just a few examples, but they will definitely "plant some seeds."

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/AF/individual_record.asp?recid=7762167&lds=0

1. Click on Helen Mar Kimball. Note that she was 14 and JS was 38 at the time of their marriage. Why does a 14 year old girl living with her parents need to be married? (Goes against the argument that polygamy was used just as a way to provide housing, food, etc, for single or widowed women at the time.)

2. Click on Eliza Roxey Snow. Note that she was married to JS and BY. If polygamy was done just to allow entrance into the CK, wasn't the sealing to JS good enough? Why was a second sealing to BY necessary?

3. Click on Zina Huntington. Note that she was married to JS and Henry Jacobs at the same time. Also, she had another marriage to BY. This arrangement proves that JS and BY practiced polyandry - married to women who were already married.

I have dumbfounded members and missionaries over this one. Absolute stunned silence. What can they possible say in return? It's an LDS source. Nothing like finding out an "anti-mormon lie" is supported by the church's own website.

From D&C, it's clear that Emma didn't have a choice. When TBM women say to me that they'll have a choice in the next life, I always ask in return - What kind of choice did Emma have? If she said no, she'd be utterly destroyed. What's your answer going to be? Are you going to let another woman/women live with your children for eternity? Of course not. So, you'll just have to find a way to live happily ever after with your sister wives. (Sick!)

Another point that I can't bring up because I can't find an LDS source, is the point about JS promising exaltation/salvation for the woman and her family if she agreed. What was Jesus Christ's role in this arrangement? NONE! If you believe in Christ and the atonement, how could polygamy possibly be a substitute?

I've also heard recently, and asked myself, a question about the polygamous wives, children, and their descendants who live today. Why do NONE of the church manuals mention these people? It's as if they never existed. Even TBMs question that.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: heftmyplates ( )
Date: February 03, 2012 09:51PM

Thanks for posting this information, I find that most TBMs are completely unaware of this, they see JS as being a chaste monogamous saint.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: February 03, 2012 10:17PM

Nancy Rigdon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> 3. Click on Zina Huntington. Note that she was
> married to JS and Henry Jacobs at the same time.
> Also, she had another marriage to BY. This
> arrangement proves that JS and BY practiced
> polyandry - married to women who were already
> married.

Look closer at Zina's record. If you notice she had a child by Brigham Young, while LEGALLY married to Henry Jacobs. The "taking care of widows" story is pure BS.

If you live in Salt Lake City, or can visit there, take your family to the Salt Lake City cemetery in the Avenues. Find Zina's grave there. If you go about 17 paces south by southwest you will find a small headstone with the name "Henry Jacobs." They couldn't be together in life because of greedy Mormon "prophets" so at least he is near her in death.

Posted by: reasonabledoubt ( )
Date: February 03, 2012 10:44PM

Baura, I used to love taking walks at the cemetary with my first child in a stroller. Ironic that one of the most peaceful places in the valley involves so much buried church history? Not ironic, I guess, but fitting. It was also fun to show people the grave marker for a female who's name I can't remember that read "Taken by the Beast -- 666" and it's not like the date of death was 1874 or something, it was 1974 or something, maybe a little earlier, I can't remember, lol. I always wanted to know the story behind that headstone.

Posted by: Earth Wind and Fire ( )
Date: February 04, 2012 02:25AM

I took a trip to the Salt Lake City Cemetery specifically to find this one. For some reason, it was covered with coins. I'm not sure of the significance of that. Anyway, the woman is a bit of a mystery, but it sounds like her husband was a nutcase.

http://www.ufodigest.com/news/0509/666.php

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=Gray&GSfn=Lilly&GSbyrel=all&GSdyrel=all&GSst=47&GScnty=2791&GScntry=4&GSob=n&GRid=10550322&df=all&;

Posted by: reasonabledoubt ( )
Date: February 03, 2012 10:33PM

Thank you, will share with the wife soon.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: February 03, 2012 10:33PM

Poor Henry. He is one of the few Mormon men I have ever felt sorry for. He must have been terrified of going to hell. If there is a god I hope he gives Henry a break in the next life.

Posted by: grubbygert ( )
Date: February 04, 2012 04:51AM

yes - the story of henry jacobs is really sad

especially the part where brigham young tells henry that zina belongs to him (young) and sends him packing

good questions for TBMs:

who is henry jacobs sealed to?

why was his wife married polygamously? was she a widow? (obviously not) was he unworthy? (obviously not)

why couldn't JS and BY (who each had tons of wives) let this guy have just one? (hint to TBMs: the one he was already married to and obviously very much in love with might be a good idea...)

again, who is henry jacobs' eternal companion???

there is no way to tell his story in a faith promoting way...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2012 04:53AM by grubbygert.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: February 03, 2012 10:39PM

Your last point about ignoring his wives is excellent. Eliza Snow is a fairly prominent figure in early church history and many have heard of her.

Why is her marriage to Smith not celebrated as part of her contribution? Surely being picked by the founder adds considerably to a woman's reputation and speaks volumes about her qualifications as a good woman. How insulting is it to be ignored by history just because it is inconvenient? It's like the many women in the Book of Mormon who are never mentioned, although we give lip service to how much women who stay at home are valued. In reality, women are ignored in Mormonism from the Book of Mormon to Joseph Smith's wives to the women of today.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: February 03, 2012 11:47PM

There was one more too but I don't remember which.

And, of course, the angel with a flaming sword who seems to have appeared twice. Once to threaten Joseph with death if he didn't break his marriages vows and once to threaten Joseph with death if some vapid young thing chose not to let him use her to break his marriage vows.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2012 11:48PM by Rebeckah.

Posted by: DeusExMalcontent ( )
Date: February 04, 2012 01:51AM

Sold by Deseret Books, written by a pair of faithful LDS women. Lays bare what a complete cad Joseph Smith, Jr. was.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: February 04, 2012 04:39AM

Regarding Joe's promises of exaltation for the new wife's family, Joe claimed he possessed the sealing power to make this happen. Jesus also has this power, but he did not promise exaltation for every believer on just the virtue of his atonement.

The atonement of Christ in Mo doctrine allows fallen mankind the opportunity to return to god thru baptism and the gift of the holy ghost, and also allows all mankind, the wicked and the just, the privilege of the resurrection.

But exaltation must be earned by works of the saint, including a celestial marriage, which must first be sealed by the Holy Spirit of Promise, then confirmed by god. This blessing is additional to those blessings provided by Christ's atonement.

IIRC...

Posted by: oddcouplet ( )
Date: February 04, 2012 07:00AM

D&C 132 puts an interesting twist on asking the first wife's permission to take additional wives: The husband has to ask the wife for her permission, but if she denies it, he is allowed to go ahead and take more wives anyway.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: February 04, 2012 03:12PM

This was clarified by a living prophet while under oath. Joseph F. Smith's testimony, under oath, before a Senate committee concerning this was as follows:

SENATOR PETTUS. Have there been in the past plural marriages without the consent of the first wife?

MR. SMITH. I do not know of any, unless it may have been Joseph Smith himself.

SENATOR PETTUS. Is the language that you have read construed to mean that she is bound to consent?

MR. SMITH. The condition is that if she does not consent the Lord will destroy her, but I do not know how He will do it.

SENATOR BAILEY. Is it not true that in the very next verse, if she refuses her consent her husband is exempt from the law which requires her consent?

MR. SMITH. Yes; he is exempt from the law which requires her consent.

SENATOR BAILEY. She is commanded to consent, but if she does not, then he is exempt from the requirement?

MR. SMITH. Then he is at liberty to proceed without her consent, under the law.

SENATOR BEVERIDGE. In other words, her consent amounts to nothing?

MR. SMITH. It amounts to nothing but her consent

"Reed Smoot Case," vol. 1, p. 201.

Posted by: William Law ( )
Date: February 04, 2012 01:42PM

Thankfully, the Moron Crutch is so stupid it leaves D&C 132 in print. Thankfully when I researched it by reading 'In Sacred Loneliness' it convinced my TBM wife that Joseph's Myth was bogus. I even convinced her Nazi TBM Mother that "Joseph's Myth was going straight to hell if that's true." Yep, it is. Look it up. Truth is stranger than fiction.
Now when ever her Mom launches into Nazi TBM testimony bearing mode, she just says, 'Yeah, I know Mom, but Joseph's Myth screwed other men's wives!"
That shuts her up. haha

Posted by: orphan ( )
Date: February 05, 2012 12:19PM

I enjoyed your post. That is a lot of good information. Hope you can post a lot more. Jim

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: February 05, 2012 08:59PM

polygamy: A dirty nasty affair.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.