Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anon90 ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 04:50PM

One of the great things about leaving mormonism is being able to choose your own entertainment. The best television programs right now would be completely banned in any TBM household. I just started Game of Thrones and I'm totally hooked. I recently finished watching Dexter on Netflix, another kick ass show that would be banned by TBMs. Homeland is another great show filled with f-bombs, tits, and graphic violence. My wife watched a little bit of Breaking Bad and Mad Men and deemed them inappropriate, even though I believe some TBMs would find those shows okay. I realize it is simply a sign of the times, and shows that the world is become more and more wicked. What are some other great inappropriate shows?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Quoth the Raven Nevermo ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 04:55PM

anon90 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
I
> realize it is simply a sign of the times, and
> shows that the world is become more and more
> wicked. What are some other great inappropriate
> shows?

The world is MORE wicked? You think that the vices of today are NEW? Same old, same old.

Get a clue about history, dude.

Look up the Robber Barons, things like child labor and child prostitution, England work houses, why labor unions were created, alcoholism and prostitution at the turn of the last century.

Posted by: HooeyMinns ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 07:23PM

Your TIC meter is busted.

Posted by: magic823 ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 04:58PM

Breaking Bad
Orange Is The New Black

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 04:58PM

This always makes me laugh. Mormons have this silly idea that Leave it to Beaver is a documentary of the past. It reminds me of the Mo mom blogger railing against "The Kind's Speech" because she thought that King George would NEVER resort to swearing. You know, because swearing wasn't invented until the 70s or something like that.

Television (at least cable and premium networks) have the best shows. I don't want to spend 60 minutes watching some saccharine, lame, plot with a stupid problem resolved neatly at the last 5 minutes. Jessie Spano addicted to caffeine pills, anyone?!?

Anyway, I like Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead, and now The Leftovers has my attention. I need to read the book soon. I also like the cooking shows like Hell's Kitchen and Masterchef.

Posted by: zaphodbeeblebrox ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 07:57PM

If Anything, they Down Played it ...

Bertie did ALWAYS Have a Potty Mouth ...

Where do you Think his Daughter, Picked it up from?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2014 07:57PM by zaphodbeeblebrox.

Posted by: grubbygert nli ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 05:01PM

Always Sunny in Philadelphia

The Venture Brothers

also An Idiot Abroad - personally I probably wouldn't have thought it "inappropriate" when I was a TBM but it is British and guy likes to say fuck... a lot... so that'd probably turn a lot of Mormons off

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 05:11PM

House of cards
Fargo
Orphan black
Good wife

I have a lot of nevermo women friends who won't watch super macho stuff like Game of Thrones. I gave up on the Borgias after a couple of nipple pulls. So much media seems overly male now.

Posted by: safetynotguaranteed ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 05:18PM

Orphan Black is so awesome.

Date: July 20, 2014 05:18PM

Orange is the new Black
The League
American Horror Story
It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia
RuPaul's Drag Race
Hemlock Grove

To be honest, I was a convert who was appallingly bad at modifying my entertainment choices after joining the church. I just didn't see how it affected anything at all.

Posted by: Claire Ferguson ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 05:26PM

I love True Blood; both the books and TV show.

Posted by: sassypants ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 07:13PM

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 05:26PM

Today's high value TV series are making Hollywood movies look lame in comparison.

House Of Cards
Breaking Bad
The Walking Dead
Dexter
Orange Is The New Black
Sons Of Anarchy

I've watched these and prefer them to any Tom Cruise or Vin Diesel action debacle. I hated the new version of True Grit, and the new Planet of the Apes movies are basically special effects driven eye candy. TV is back with a vengeance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2014 05:27PM by donbagley.

Date: July 20, 2014 06:36PM

Are you excited for the "Freakshow" season?!?

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 07:03PM

I have watched American Horror Story. Jessica Lange is great. The stories are intense and disturbing. Good stuff.

Date: July 20, 2014 07:09PM

But always glad to see other AHS fans. :)

Date: July 20, 2014 07:22PM

I'm super excited for it! :-) What's been your favourite season so far?

Date: July 20, 2014 07:23PM

I loved Asylum. It was definitely my favourite. I wanted Coven to be great, but the 2nd season of it just fell flat. Coven had some of the best one-liners though!!!

"Don't be a hater, dear." :D

Posted by: lifegoeson ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 05:32PM

Orphan Black...totally obsessed by this show.

Posted by: Quoth the Raven Nevermo ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 06:26PM

Better off Ted-had good reviews but never had the audience, a truly twisted view of corporate America, the marketing propaganda is to die for.

Arrested Development-lightening fast humor, I read online to find the jokes that I missed. Up for the most dysfunctional family in history. And, full of wonderfully bad puns.

My Name is Earl-Earl is a dumb redneck, but is sweet in his stupidity, hilarious situations.

Raising Hope - Baby of a one night stand with a murderess, granny occasionally gets crazy with dementia, grandparents with unusual child rearing habits.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 06:42PM

If you like politics, you have to watch Veep. It's just for a giggle, but I never fail to howl with laughter.

Great writing. Vulgar language. I love it.

Posted by: formermollymormon ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 06:45PM

Game of Thrones. I don't like the blood and guts but it is very intense. I was watching True Blood but the season before last got weird and I started losing interest. I had last season on my DVR but My DVR deleted some episodes so I have to decide if it's worth buying the DVDs to catch up.I started reading the books but it was confusing reading the books the same time as watching the show. I probably need to go back to the books.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 06:48PM

I like toons, so---

Blue Exorcist
Black Lagoon
Bleach
Space Dandy
Cowboy Bebop
Inuyasha
Black Dynamite
Boondocks
Rick and Morty
Xavier Renegade Angel

and many more. I also like G-rated toons, like Dragonballs and Pokemon, Avatar, Full Metal Alchemist, Naruto. I just like toons. PG toons too, like Adventure Time, Venture Brothers, Saul of the Molemen, The Simpsons, Family Guy. Animaniacs. Looney Tunes. Most any toons.

I stay around Cartoon Network and Nicktoons.

I like toons...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2014 08:08PM by hello.

Posted by: sassypants ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 07:11PM

..Naruto? Check!
Pokemon? Check!
Inazuma 11? Check!
Hetalia? Check!
Ouran High School Host Club? Check!
Black Butler? Check!
And many, many more.

Have you seen Afro Samurai? It's a bit of a mind f$&@. ;-)

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 08:06PM

wow no, I don't have a premium package, and some of those (Black Butler, Afro Samurai, Inazuma, Ouran etc.) those aren't on CN or TWC ondemand, so I'll try Roku. Are those on Anime Channel?

Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 06:49PM

I remember 3 is company was on the sh it list.
There was one family who felt guilty just for watching Little House on a Sunday.

Posted by: anon90 ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 08:04PM

LOL, Three's Company was great, but I can see why it would be deemed "inappropriate" when you have a guy pretending to be gay so he can live with 2 girls, and sneaking women into the apartment behind his landlord's back. Watching it today it's all so silly, and innocent I let my 8 year old daughter watch it and she thinks it's hilarious.

Posted by: ain't got no name yet ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 06:56PM

"Inappropriate" is a word that Mormons inappropriately suck dry of its actual meaning. They use it for everything and anything they don't like, and it's applied arbitrarily to anything that some old guy on the stake high council doesn't like. "Inappropriate" is as inappropriately used by Mormons as the word "modesty." They don't know what that means, either.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 07:06PM

Benny Hill

First time to see British comedy and top-free women on television, back when- and this was in Utah: I thought OK, Fair Game. Inappropriate it was, but how appropriate!

Posted by: Mnemonic ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 07:18PM

Topless Prophet

It's about Alan Markovitz who owns and operates several topless bars in Detroit. Lots of nudity.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3763520/

Posted by: noshirking ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 07:21PM

I love Orange is the New Black.

My TBM bishop friend told me he doesn't allow his kids to watch The Big Bang Theory because it has too much sex. Even as a TBM I wouldn't have thought twice ... so glad I am out.

Date: July 20, 2014 07:28PM

My old ward had a family who felt that way about not only The Big Bang Theory but also Friends.

Also I love that pretty much everyone in here loves OITNB :)

Posted by: In a hurry ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 07:34PM

"Oz" (all six seasons) is being offered on HBO on Demand for the rest of this year.

I could never have watched this in its original run. It would have been waaaay out of my comfort zone.

Posted by: Particles of Faith ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 07:52PM

True Blood
Banshee
House of Cards
Orange is the New Black
Game of Thrones
Dallas
Da Vinci's Demons
Black Sails
Boardwalk Empire

Posted by: DebbiePA ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 08:07PM

Oh I am SO a binge watcher!!!

Orange is the New Black
Boardwalk Empire
House of Cards
True Detective
Veep
Nurse Jackie
The Killing
Mad Men
Breaking Bad

A couple of faves from England:
The Fall with Jillian Anderson
Wire in the Blood with Robson Green

My daughter's boyfriend says The Bridge is great.

Looks like I'll be checking out Orphan Black based on this post. Thanks!

Posted by: sloperut ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 08:07PM

Vikings

Family Guy

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.