Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Exmosis ( )
Date: March 29, 2012 11:02PM

I find this pretty odd.

Acc to the Church News, Elder Jeffrey R. Holland visited Harvard Law School on March 20 to speak to law students as part of the Harvard Law Latter-day Saints' annual Mormonism 101 seminar.

http://www.ldschurchnews.com/articles/62145/Elder-Holland-addresses-Harvard-Law-students.html

One of several PR initiatives, by LDS Inc. PR.

The article says: "Each year the LDS group at Harvard invites a Church member to share the Church's basic beliefs to the Harvard Law School student body in order to increase awareness of and appreciation for the Church and its members. Recent past speakers include Elder Dallin H. Oaks of the Quorum of the Twelve and Richard Bushman, an LDS historian and scholar."

Is Harvard kidding? Do they have similar courses on Jehovah's Witnesses, Scientologist and 7th Day Adventism?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Concrete Zipper ( )
Date: March 29, 2012 11:12PM

It's probably just a seminar sponsored by a student group. They can probably reserve a room and have anybody they want speak to whomever shows up.

What do you want to bet that the audience was 90% Mormon?

CZ

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: March 29, 2012 11:13PM

Are you sure this wasn't part of the Hasty Pudding Award Festivities? I'd rather just assume that it was :)

Posted by: Nadamo ( )
Date: March 29, 2012 11:52PM

I have a high school girlfriend who is a Professor of Religious Studies at Duke. She invites mormons in once each year (or maybe it's once each semester) to discuss their religion with students. She says the class is called "Alternative Religions in America". Her comment about the mormons? "That's some weird stuff!!"

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: March 30, 2012 12:01AM

My TBM step son is a law student at Columbia. There is a Mormon circle that sticks together. High powered Mormon attorney's mentor them, and hire them. It's no big deal to have one of the Higher up attorneys from the church speak to their group. The church supports up and coming attorney's in a way I haven't seen with any other profession. This has been quite an eye opener for me.
The clique is basically a lifetime support group. IMO it's a strong incentive that keeps these kids in the church. They don't have all the bad experiences the rest of us underlings endure. They are pampered and catered to. Their employment in Mormon circles is pretty much guaranteed. Leaving the church could put a real dent in their career.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.