Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nomomomo ( )
Date: March 29, 2012 03:39PM

Yea me!! He is tall, deep voice, and had what I thought looked like a relatively cheap suit on. Maybe I'm wrong on that, but it looked like the typical one worn to church. I would have thought he would have a bit nicer one.

Ahhhh. I feel so good now!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: March 29, 2012 05:46PM

I was there when his selection as UVU President was announced. There was an audible gasp of surprise from those present in the room.

Later, when the video of the announcement was released, the gasp was replaced by dubbed-in applause.

How mormony!

Posted by: Anon UVU employee ( )
Date: March 30, 2012 06:18PM

Before I accepted a job offer at UVU a few years ago, I was concerned about working at a placed headed up by an apostle's son. I talked to many people. President Holland is a fair and even-handed university president who must walk the small and narrow line between the fact that UVU is a secular, public institution that exists in a community dominated by one culture. Most of my fellow employees--whether faculty or staff have a lot of respect for him.

Posted by: nomomomo ( )
Date: March 30, 2012 06:58PM

He did say hi to me, and the others. Then his cell rang, and you could tell it was family. He was talking on the phone on the 4th floor! Oh no! Everyone looked up at him from their studies. They had some thing going on in the big room up there, we heard applause. Yeah, I wonder how he does that with the whole mormon thing. I haven't had an issue with being a no-mo. But sometimes kids do complain about certain professors cause they said bad words or told naughty stories (true stories to relay a concept to us, I am in the behavioral science major).

Most kids are cool though. I think the best was when I was taking human sexuality and a kid passed out and hit his head and went down. We were going over the female genitalia. The instructor just smiled and said "just stay down for a few minutes till you feel better". He was soooo embarrassed, and we couldn't help teasing him once-in-awhile.

Posted by: ronas ( )
Date: March 30, 2012 07:03PM

"Most kids are cool though. I think the best was when I was taking human sexuality and a kid passed out and hit his head and went down. We were going over the female genitalia. The instructor just smiled and said 'just stay down for a few minutes till you feel better'. He was soooo embarrassed, and we couldn't help teasing him once-in-awhile."

Har!!

Perhaps all his blood had gone somewhere other than his brain?

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: March 30, 2012 08:53PM

UVU seems to have become an extension of BYU. I wonder when they will begin making you attend church.

Posted by: Tara the Pagan ( )
Date: March 30, 2012 10:20PM

I graduated from UVU last year. Holland seemed OK. I think he really wants to improve the University's reputation and wants people to take it seriously. He promoted the idea of Engaged Learning, including service learning projects by various classes and departments. He led book-readings on campus. He attended theatrical productions. He seemed to be a very hands-on president and responsive to student concerns.

About the only negative I can think of is that, under his leadership, many more community events, sports competitions, and jr. high/high school events were held on campus. All these visitors were given parking in the student parking areas (already in short supply), which meant that many of us who paid for parking permits often had nowhere to park. (For some of us, taking the bus, biking, or walking weren't options). Since the campus was overcrowded anyway, the number of extra bodies running around (especially the younger kids) proved to be inconvenient and distracting. I often felt like we were trying to be more of a community center than a university.

I never felt, though, like he was trying to be overly religious or privileging the Church in any way.

Posted by: No Mo ( )
Date: March 30, 2012 10:21PM

Doesn't Mac supply free suits to those guys? I read that he did, I believe, in a book about Hofmann. I guess that is what you get for free. All Mr. Mac Christensen gets, in return, is to be president of the Mo Tab Choir and a dead son for negotiating fake documents for the hierarchy with Mormon forger Mark Hofmann. The innocent guy would probably be alive if he hadn't been involved with this sick cult. Sad.

Posted by: Anon UVU Employee ( )
Date: March 30, 2012 11:15PM

UVU is NOT an extension of BYU. Trust me.

Posted by: jenn ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 09:42PM

about 10 years ago i served president monson (before he was "president") at the restaurant i worked at. i didn't know who he was and why everyone was going to him and shaking his hand. anyway my coworkers teased for years

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.