Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 05, 2012 10:37AM

Do you use a different name for various sites you frequent?

Sometimes, do you take a temporary name for a particular reason? For humor sake? Because you're embarrassed? To solve a special problem? To avoid board complications?

How many exmo sites have you used and do you keep the same name for all of them?

Do exmos assume you're someone else when they read other sites and find a poster who reminds them of you?

I'm the most boring exmo among thousands, always Cheryl, my actual name, and always here at RfM, my favorite place to recover.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2012 10:38AM by Cheryl.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: April 05, 2012 11:50AM

name on postmo, but I don't go there very often. This is the only board I frequent. I'm not even on facebook.

Posted by: sdee ( )
Date: April 05, 2012 11:54AM

This is the only board I participate on. I've had various names on here before settling on this one. I started out trying to be very anonymous, even down to my gender. Then got less anonymous, using my real first name. Then we came out to our parents and I got paranoid and shortened it down to the current one.

I've used different ones for a couple of topics I didn't want associated with me. Cause I'm a weiner.

Date: April 05, 2012 12:21PM

Posted by: nonmo ( )
Date: April 05, 2012 12:23PM

"I'm the most boring exmo among thousands, always Cheryl, my actual name, and always here at RfM, my favorite place to recover."

Personally on any website I post on, I refrain from using a name that is my actual name and also limit the info I post that could be used to find out my identity....That's just me.

Posted by: WinksWinks ( )
Date: April 05, 2012 12:25PM

Naw, I use different monikers for most everything. Usually works good for me because only creepers seem to pay me much attention and I'd rather not get stalked around the web.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: April 05, 2012 12:35PM

I started as Deb (after my temple name, Deborah), then there were too may people with versions of Deb in their name, so I switched to NoLihoma (If you went to primary in the early-mid 60s you could get the Lihoma part). When the She Devil (my female sibling) started following the board, I switched to NormaRae (an empowering female movie character). But pretty soon She Devil picked up on that one too and it finally hit me that I didn't give a schit.

Yes, occassionally I post anonymously to questions of a personal nature. I always indicate that I'm a regular posting anonymously for that post (and they're usually posts that several people do that on). I don't try to come up with a clever screen name just to try to fool other posters.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: April 05, 2012 12:38PM

Just here. Always the same name.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: April 05, 2012 12:42PM

try to keep TBMs honest. I only use one ID here, of course.

I want them to focus on the ideas I post, and not just skip over my words because they've already labeled my ID as an 'anti'.

Finding ways to get TBMs to read the truth is my main goal on public sites, not establishing myself as a person.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 05, 2012 12:46PM

This is the only exmo board on which I participate, although I occasionally read other boards. I've posted anonymously on this board maybe half a dozen times when the information that I'm sharing is either highly personal, or would too closely associate me with my RL identity for any of my Mormon friends that are cruising the site. I occasionally sock-puppet (is that the right term?) in a manner that is clearly meant to be humorous.

I use other names for other interest groups. I try to be consistent about using the same name for a given interest group across multiple websites. I like to be a known quantity even if I'm not using my real name. I've met up with members of other interest groups at conferences, events, get-togethers, visits, etc.

Posted by: sgc ( )
Date: April 05, 2012 05:57PM

I've only posted here. But i used to post under, 'daughter's mormon' before I officialy logged in. Then I decided on sgc because it's shorter.

Posted by: judyblue ( )
Date: April 05, 2012 06:21PM

I used to post under my real first name, Kristen, but auto-fill once took it upon itself to fill in the rest without my noticing (yikes!), and as I wasn't actually logged in I couldn't delete it. So, to avoid putting my full name all over the internets, I started using a different moniker. This one is unique to RfM, and I don't post on any other exmo sites.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: April 05, 2012 06:30PM

I always use my real name. My parents disinherited me anyway, and I'm proud that the Bagley name is associated with exMormons. I have been assigned the role of Lucifer the light bearer in my estranged family. I bring light, and they curse the darkness...ha ha

Posted by: karin ( )
Date: April 05, 2012 06:35PM

I used to be 'AWOL for good', but after the board changed to this one, i decided to just use my real name.
i only lurk on other ex-mo boards.

Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: April 05, 2012 07:07PM

I've been Phantom Shadow for nearly ten years. Wanted to change once to a version of my real name, but Susan wouldn't let me because there were so many versions of her name and mine at the time.

I use a different name on Post Mo but don't post there often. I have other monikers for other places around the Internet--I have lots of different interests but still retain my paranoia. Funny thing is that I have two s-i-ls with the same name. (Different maiden names.) I get confused with myself on Facebook some times.

I do post on a couple of Mo sites using part of my real name.

Still paranoid although I understand anyone who really wanted to track me could, and probably already are, although my life isn't too exciting or subversive enough to bother.

Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: April 05, 2012 07:07PM

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: April 05, 2012 07:26PM

I only read on here for a long time before even getting enough guts to put my name on here. I didn't donate using Paypal because I was afraid the exmormon name would show up as a listing on our combined asset statement and my husband would find out. I use this name only on this site. I'm a wiener too. Still.

Posted by: En Sabah Nur ( )
Date: April 05, 2012 07:40PM

I used to go by Magunga but switched to my current moniker as a play on my middle name, Max, and, obviously, the taxonomy of humanity. (It was a tough choice between "hetero sapiens," which my wife loved, "homo sapiens superior" from X-Men comics, and the one that I ultimately chose.)

Lately I've used my real name more, though.

Posted by: Charley ( )
Date: April 05, 2012 07:56PM

I've only used one name on this board and it's my real name. I've lurked other postmo boards but never participated.

Over the years I've posted some real life info on this site and it has caused me to be contacted by people who used to live where I live. It's been all good though and I've "met" some interesting people.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: April 05, 2012 08:25PM

I used to be a fan of the anime Macross, and Makurosu is a direct romanization. I haven't been into anime in a long, long time, but the nickname stuck here. I've tried to switch to my real name Sam several times, but then nobody knows me. Makurosu is really not a Mormon-sounding name at all, and I like that.

I also think the story of Super Dimension Fortress Macross is significant to my life. It's about a warrior race of clones who arrive in space to destroy the Earth. The song of a young girl softens their hearts, and many of them realize that they don't have the heart to continue the war. They begin to defect, because they want to live in Earth's culture and not live this warrior life they were born to live. Eventually the defections become so great that a portion of the enemy joins the Earth's forces to fight the main alien force. The end of the movie is an all-out battle, and the song of the young girl is broadcast to the enemy to weaken their morale.

I've tried to use some other names from time to time, like Brother Laman, which was fun. But I always come back to Makurosu for some reason. I don't use that anywhere else online but here.

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: April 06, 2012 06:35PM

Interesting Mak . . . shows you how much I know. I always assumed you served a mission in Japan and Makurosu meant something significant in Japanese.

As for me . . . Shannon is my real name.

I used to post under "JackMormon'sWife" because I felt like my JackMo hubby was the root of all evil when it came to my rocky exit from Mormonism. (I was a convert and thought I should be able to slip away without any fanfare. ha! What a crock!) However, hubby's name on the church rolls kept the Mormons crawling around us like cockroaches for years.

Anyway, I always thought that JackMormon'sWife was a pretty cool moniker and I was happy with it. But then I met a whole bunch of RfMers at Ex-Mo conference about 5 years ago. Lots of folks now knew my real name.

So I got brave and decided that I didn't give a rip if some stalker Mormon discovered my identity on the internet anymore. In fact, I began to welcome the recognition. My story is easily identifiable and I was monitored by local church leaders for a long time on RfM (and things did get hairy at times).

But I am no longer intimidated. In fact, I don't even care anymore . . . I just hope the local Danites are at least getting an education while snooping. ;o)

P.S. I don't post anywhere else.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2012 06:42PM by shannon.

Posted by: liberalbutteffer ( )
Date: April 05, 2012 08:46PM

I frequent many other sites using a different username. The only place I use the moniker liberalbutteffer is when I'm here though. It's a reference to an insult some TBM made to me.

Posted by: sdee on phone ( )
Date: April 06, 2012 01:48PM

Haha, story please. I've always thought your name was pretty funny but it's even better that a Mormon called you that.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: April 06, 2012 12:28AM

I only chat on two ex-Mo sites and I have different names on them. But I've been Greyfort on-line since 1998, since I started out as a host in an LDS chatroom. It's very rare for me to use another name.

Posted by: Altava ( )
Date: April 06, 2012 01:46AM

I've been using this name because it's random and not something I commonly use. At first I was afraid of being spotted by someone from church or something, but starting to care less and less. But it's actually the last name of a character from a video game I played recently. (I am a nerd)

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: April 06, 2012 05:39PM

On a couple of places I'm Rianya and on one I'm Rebeckahmae. I only use the other two if Rebeckah is taken. Oh, and my real name is used on facebook and places linked to it.

I use this because it's almost my name -- Rianya is a name I made up for gaming so it feels like my name. No special significance other than that.

Posted by: leroy ( )
Date: April 06, 2012 05:44PM

Back when they were the only show in town - any town.

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: April 06, 2012 05:50PM

... have yet to post on an Exmo site other than RFM.

Timothy is technically my real name, but I normally go by "Tim" or "Big Tim" or "Sasquatch" IRL. I use Timothy here because of the religious connotations.

And any Exmo chick who hoses mishies cannot, by default, be boring!

Timothy

Posted by: anonfornow ( )
Date: April 07, 2012 05:02AM

I have to use anonfornow when on the computer at work. I have a name that I use from my home computer. It is my "secret" name for myself. It was a character out of an Ann Rice book. Did not care much for the story, but really liked the name.

Posted by: sparta ( )
Date: April 07, 2012 07:34AM

then I'm always Sparta, never anything else.

I'm not on other exmo boards, but am on F/b under my RL name and am involved in a couple of exmo support groups there.

<waves> Hey Mak! :))

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: April 07, 2012 01:26PM

I was TomL on Operation Clambake, the anti-Scientologist website.

Then an ex-Mo who went by the name of Ned Ludd came to see if Scientology was worse than LDS, mentioned RfM - and I was hooked!

Then my company blocked access to Operation Clambake - and now I only post on RfM - as Soft Machine.

Hope you're continuing to mend, Cheryl!

Tom in Paris

Date: April 07, 2012 02:00PM

Lab reports were worse than expected after the surgery. I'll see the surgeon Wednesday to work out a new plan of attack. I recovered from the surgery in a flash, so that's the good news.

Posted by: toto ( )
Date: April 07, 2012 01:28PM

Unless it's a too-personal-subject to discuss then I post anonymously but not with another name.

Posted by: XMA ( )
Date: April 07, 2012 02:07PM

I only use my secret name here. Since I didn't last particularly long in the cult, I had to make up my own.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.