Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: April 15, 2012 11:18AM

We all know the brain washing primary songs that our children are taught in the LDS church. We also know that there are similar songs all over Christianity. My question is, are there similar songs that can be used to teach children about reason?

The best I have been able to come up with is "Bringing Home a Bumble Bee" which my son loves. I like it, because it teaches a practical lesson about trying to imprison a wild animal, you will get hurt, without being terrifying.

If such songs don't exist, I am sure there are those on the board with the talent to create some. You may even make a few dollars, as I would pay for a CD of some to play in the car, and I am sure there are others who would do the same.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rosemary ( )
Date: April 15, 2012 11:30AM

I'm on it! I'm glad you provided the Bringing Home a Baby Bumblebee as an example. I will try and come up with more songs along those lines. Maybe: You Punch Me, I'll Punch You Back. Or: I'm Not Giving You Any Money Until You Provide a Real Service.

Speaking honestly, if I had one lesson to teach my kids it would be: I Believe in the Observable, Natural World; Screw You Mean Kids Who Think That's a Bad Response to "Do You Believe in Jesus?"

Posted by: dragwit ( )
Date: April 15, 2012 11:32AM

I love using Gary M. Stoddard's youth CD "Whatever You Imagine" you can listen to it here http://whateveryouimagine.net/ . It is great music to teach kids their true potentials as well! I just wish that the version of Like a River that is on the CD was the version he sings...The CD I mentioned is sung by a group of kids.

Posted by: just curious ( )
Date: April 15, 2012 11:41AM

I like They Might Be Giants "Here Comes Science". It's older, but still good.

Posted by: dragwit ( )
Date: April 15, 2012 11:45AM

They Might Be Giants is also incredible! Bowling for Soup has done some great kids songs as well (and your kids will recognize them as the group who did the Phineas and Ferb theme song).

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.