Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cal ( )
Date: April 16, 2012 01:55AM

Yeah, as the subject says. I graduated with a degree in Biology, so I know something of genetics, but I haven't actually seen the DVD or heard the presenter, so I'm wondering if anyone has and thoughts on it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: April 16, 2012 05:26AM

There are enough of us here--you're invited, anytime, cal--who also "know something of genetics," and what has been offered so far has been from FAIR with some quotations by Keith Crandall and some others. We'd be happy to review anything "new," but my guess is it's same old "X-haplogroup of mtDNA" they're trying to hang their sermon on.

Simon Southerton (who knows more than a bit about genetics) has quizzed a few people about such claims, and they can't backtrack fast enough.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: April 16, 2012 05:34AM

There have been threads here about Rod Meldrum's DVD's about a north American location for the Nephite civilization.

I believe he has also promoted the assertions of a fake wannabee Cherokee man (who is NOT a real Cherokee), who claims that there are members of his group (which is hoping to be declared a legit Cherokee tribe) who have Israelite DNA. Meldrum claims this proves an Israelite origin for all Native Americans, thus substantiating the BOM!!!

But so far, they present no evidence that any native American or wannabee has any pre-Columbian Hebrew DNA admixture. Your EQ guy is thinking wishfully, with a ton of confirmation bias. You may want to ask him to show his "evidence".

If this is not the DNA evidence he is referring too, then I would be even more interested to see his evidence.

Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: April 16, 2012 08:32AM

When something like a "DVD" is evidence, then I can create my own "evidence" with a flip-video cam, computer and a burner, without ever pipetting a single human DNA sample or running a PCR & match study.

Instead, I would immediately ask these elders if the evidence is so great, please give us the scientific reference papers upon which the DVD is based. Otherwise, "Ancient Aliens" and other DVD shows out there are as valid as this one.

Posted by: bert ( )
Date: April 16, 2012 09:03AM

O.K. O.K. I've said it before and I will say it again for the last time. If this church. The Mormon church. Which claims to be the only true church. And claims to have all the evidence then why are they, as a church not shouting from the roof tops? Why is the scientific community not running as fast as it can twords them instead of away from them? And why do I have to pray to know the truth when all the evidence, that I can't see, already exists?

Posted by: delt1995 ( )
Date: April 16, 2012 02:00PM

There is more evidence the Scandnavian Vikings and Chinese made it to the Americas first in the Book of Mormon timelines.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBMXoPtPtTw

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: April 16, 2012 03:15PM

Gavin Menzies is just a British version of Rodney Meldrum or Erich Von Däniken.

His claims are nonsense.

Hmmmm... Apparently there's a "bad word" in this site's URL. Type in http: into a web browser window and copy-and-paste the rest eliminating the space to make a legitimate URL

//www.1421ex posed.com/

This site was created by a group of legitimate scholars and historians who were horrified by the publicity Menzies has received.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.