Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: April 24, 2012 12:00PM

What happened in 1843 that got Joseph Smith married to more than half of the wives he eventually bedded?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rutabaga ( )
Date: April 24, 2012 12:26PM

I'll have to look up the references, but I think that 1843 was when the uproar over John C. Bennet died down.

Bennett came to Nauvoo and soon became Joseph's BFF. Bennett was a commander in the Nauvoo Legion and apparently Joseph's abortionist.

Bennett took the idea of spiritual wifery and ran with it, but got sloppy and started getting attention around Nauvoo at a time when Joseph was doing his best to keep polygamy quiet.

Polygamy slowed and possibly stopped in late 1842, until the Bennett situation could be tamped down.

Interestingly, endowments also slowed down during this period.

After the Bennett situation was resolved, endowments and Joseph's wife hunt got back up to speed.

This is all from memory, but Van Wagoner, Compton and Bergera have documented it thoroughly.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: April 24, 2012 04:53PM

The one that got away...

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: April 24, 2012 04:52PM

Of course you're the expert on that one (critical masses, not multiple shaggings; Jesus is a gentleman and discreet).

Zina: "I'm sleeping with the prophet. I'm wife number four!"

Sylvia:"Well, he told me you were okay, but he added me because I satisfied him better."

Sarah (Whitney, not Pratt): "Well, i'm sure he liked you two for your extra padding."

Ruth: (thinking "My Edward is kind of boring): I need to get in on this stuff...

Just a thought...

Of course maybe it was just Joseph was starting his mid-life crisis...

Posted by: runtu ( )
Date: April 24, 2012 05:05PM

As I recall, Emma was ill much of that time, often bedridden. I would imagine she wasn't available much.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: April 24, 2012 05:40PM

runtu Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As I recall, Emma was ill much of that time, often
> bedridden. I would imagine she wasn't available
> much.

So the rotten little s**t should have stayed home and looked after her. "In sickness and in health" is what the real marriage ceremony he went through would have said.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.