Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Ruzanda ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 09:00PM

I'm a former poster. Then I decided to come back. But then I didn't. Anyway, DW and I are in rough times over 40 years into our marriage. Suddenly things have tipped precariously. I'm about to retire, and suddenly we can't go back to our house, but must move to Utah or Idaho in order to save our marriage. Oh, all right. I've said that I protest and think that it is wrong, changing the goal posts late in life after years of planning. But considering that we would both be thrust into immediate poverty if we split up, I said that I would do my part and at least look around for where I would like to live. Pocatello is high on the list for affordability, but I've been there many times and don't much care for it. And their water is nasty. I hate SL Valley, but would live in some of the better places in Salt Lake proper. It's just out of reach financially, since I only have so much money I can pay for a house equal to the one I have. Ogden? Maybe that's better, if there are any decent parts up some canyon or something. I like Logan, but too far from Costco and too Mormon for me.

I need help. Anyone have ideas for possible life in the Morridor? You could save a failing marriage.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: brucermalarky ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 09:12PM

East boise is nice. And not many mormons.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 09:53PM

If I HAD to live in Idaho or Utah, Boise would be my choice.

Posted by: readbooks ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 10:48PM

Definitely don't choose Logan or anywhere else in Cache Valley.

Posted by: readbooks ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 10:52PM

Don't move to Bountiful, either. The TBMs are quite snooty there and the traffic is horrible.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 03:57PM

Boise is less Mormon (more Catholic), but more white than SLC. Idaho in general has a much larger percentage of active Mormons though.

There are definitely pros and cons to living in Boise.

Posted by: vh65 ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 02:35AM

How about one of the less expensive towns outside Park City? My neverMo neighbor loves her inexpensive (by CA standards) ranch up there. I would avoid the town with the yearbook shoulder gate last month, though...

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 02:48AM

Heber or Kamas and just avoid TBMs.

Posted by: GQ Cannonball ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 03:25AM

You should look into Ogden east of Harrison...nice older homes and it's affordable.

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 09:43AM

Sorry for your troubles. I hope you work things out with your wife. Life is too short and retirement even shorter to be unhappy. Are you all TBM? Is it only one of you who is? I wouldn't have anyway to know how to offer any advice there because my wife and I both bailed on the church. I wish you luck. Personally, I doubt moving will set things right.

Date: July 29, 2014 06:07PM

I think you are right. Yeah, only she is TBM and two of my kids. The other kids and I have resigned from the church.

Posted by: bezoar ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 01:53PM

My husband and I bought a home in Ogden several years ago and love it here. There is much less mormon influence in the area. Plus home prices are about half what an equivalant home would cost in the Salt Lake valley.

Date: July 29, 2014 06:08PM

Thanks, and to GQ Cannonball for what looks like viable information.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 03:52PM

You can find some decent housing in some of the SLC suburbs. I'm talking about $125K - $150K. In Ogden I know you can find stuff that is a lot cheaper.

Idaho is probably even cheaper still. Have you looked at Boise? It is a fairly liberal area and still in the Morridor if I understand the term.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.