Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: June 27, 2012 02:41PM

The link is to a story about the problem a city faces when a vacant lot is taken out of the tax base because a tax-exempt religion buys it to put up a new building.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2012/06/27/a-church-is-hurting-this-citys-economy/

All over the country, municipalities and counties are going broke, laying off teachers, firefighters and cops, while churches sit on the sidelines saying, "Don't look at me. It's not our problem." Imagine the righteous indignation if all religions had to pay property taxes.

Maybe cities could make a deal. The churches get to keep their tax-exempt status, but don't expect police and the fire department to protect them. Don't expect the potholes on their street to be patched or their street lights to be on. Or their trash to be picked up. Or for their opinions to count for anything with local governments. "Why, yes, the city did approve a bar and strip club on one side of you and wood pulp factory on the other. What's it to you?"

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: davesnothere ( )
Date: June 27, 2012 02:56PM

How about the favoritism shown to churches by the IRS such as exempting churches from filing the exacting 990 form which all other tax-exempt 501(c)(3) charities must file, accounting for finances, ensuring that individuals do not profit and that money that is being raised under nonprofit auspices is being spent for nonprofit purposes.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 27, 2012 03:12PM

I wish there was some incentive/motivation for this to change in the political arena, but it would be suicide for leaders to introduce such an idea, let alone sponsor legislation.

Canada the same?

other countries??

Date: June 27, 2012 03:19PM

According to The Freedom from Religion Foundation it’s estimated that as much as one quarter or one-half of a typical U.S. city may be made up of tax-exempt property, much of that churches or church schools.

Because churches pay nothing, we pay more.

Posted by: Stunted ( )
Date: June 27, 2012 05:17PM

The idea is that it lessens the drain on public funds if charities are picking up the slack. A nice idea, but as we can calculate from TSCC's own numbers it just isn't working out that way. My bet is that the churches just add more drain on the system.

TAX THEM ALL I say.

Date: June 27, 2012 05:30PM

Churches in general have become community freeloaders. They enjoy the fruits of the community but give little in return to the community that supports them. People are getting rich off religion but still there are people that go to bed hungry at night, don’t have a roof over their heads or access to basic medical care.

Posted by: gannosu ( )
Date: June 27, 2012 06:05PM

Property tax free houses of worship is just one of the items that has irritated me over the years. We must remember that tithing and donations to the churches are tax free.

I have wondered about Romneys wonderful donations to charity, is that all or mostly to the church for tithing. I don't consider tithing charity. It's just a donation to build club houses for the members.

Another item that applies to all people are the parents who have many children and with all the deductions do not pay tax so the childless ones or parents of fewer children pay a greater tax. I'm not against having many children but I think the parents should pay the same tax the single person does.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2012 06:06PM by mckay.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.