Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rander70 ( )
Date: July 18, 2012 03:17PM

It's completely O/T, but you guys are so experienced and wise about life. Im wondering if you can help me.

I want my bachelors degree, and I want to get started on my career already. I have my associates in art, and I keep jumping back and forth on what I really want to do, but it always comes back to interior design. Im stuck in SLC and I have a really good job that I am nervous about leaving, plus I dont see how it is possible for me to pick up everything I have and move across the US just to go to school. Im tired of sitting on my @$$ though, I am 23, but I want to get started on this. How do I do it? I guess I am also nervous about the competition. I know I have a natural talent for this career, but I dont have much confidence in myself.

Has anyone been in my shoes? Does anyone know some programs that can help me or something?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: foggy ( )
Date: July 18, 2012 03:32PM

I know the majority of the interior designers in my office went to USU and have good things to say about it. It wouldn't include picking up and moving across the country, but it might be a bit far for a job in SLC.

Posted by: rander70 ( )
Date: July 18, 2012 03:35PM

I have really been thinking about Ohio or California. They both have really good interior design programs there. We have been dying to live in California, so Im thinking this would probably be our best bet. But even then, do I just save up a bunch of money and move there? I barely survive as it is. I really dont want to be in Utah anymore...

Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: July 18, 2012 03:36PM

You need to save up quite a bit for a move. My husband and I have been saving for two years so we can move for grad school.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 18, 2012 04:11PM

There are two centers for interior design in the U.S. -- Los Angeles and New York (and to a lesser extent, Dallas.) I think that L.A. would be a good move for you.

You could either save up money, get loans, and go to school full time, or save up money, work in the industry, and go to school part time. It probably depends on what school programs are available.

A good first job would be in sales in one of the design centers (i.e. The Pacific Design Center or the L.A. Mart.) Such a job would help you to meet lots of designers and get familiar with the products and materials used in the industry. If you are aiming for such a job, it would be wise to secure one before you permanently move. A couple years down the road, you would want to find a job as an assistant at a design firm.

Getting credentials and connections in Los Angeles would be helpful to you even if you wanted to move elsewhere later.

You will need several thousand dollars to make a move. Figure 3 times the average monthly rent (first month/last month/deposit) along with money for utilities, utility deposits, and food. It might take a week or two to find a suitable place to rent, so there's motel bills. Put everything into a rented truck or trailer and go. It's doable (I've done it!)

Be advised that getting established as an interior designer *does* take a lot of confidence, along with a strong entreprenurial streak if you want to go out on your own. If you don't have these qualities, you could easily get stuck in a go-nowhere job.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2012 04:18PM by summer.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.