Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: NerdLinger ( )
Date: July 14, 2012 08:24PM

We're one week away from the Hill Cumorah Pageant in Palmyra and a group of atheists from the Rochester, N.Y., area is putting on a pre-pageant event in Palmyra. This is an encore presentation of the event where I spoke in April. This time, we'll be just down the street from where the first copies of the Book of Mormon were printed.

If there is anyone in the area that wants to attend, it's at 5 p.m. Saturday, July 21 at the Village Park and Rec meeting room, 145 E. Main St. Palmyra. This time, we'll actually film it and I'll share the link. I'm focusing on my own experience growing up Mormon and how I left. And I'm including an overview of what the pageant is with my own take on the stories that will be told.

All this public speaking is turning into a press junket. After my past presentation, one of the event organizers wrote about it on examiner.com, which led to an interview with an AFP reporter this morning. The reporter came to Palmyra to do a report about the pageant. For balance, he contacted me. It was a great interview. The report will to air sometime in August. I'll send a link when it does.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: S. Tissue Trotter ( )
Date: July 14, 2012 09:10PM

Actually, Pageant started last night, so your "pre-Pageant" event will be the afternoon of the Pageant's final night.

They schedule it based on the phases of the moon.

Posted by: NerdLinger ( )
Date: July 15, 2012 02:24PM

Yup, Trotter, you got me there.

Actually the event is pre-pageant for the Rochester Atheists group that will be attending the pageant that night.

I had no idea about the moon phases thing. How pagan.

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: July 15, 2012 02:30PM

Are you going to re-enact one of the Smith treasure digging ventures? Supposedly they also did it during the full moon.

Posted by: S. Tissue Trotter ( )
Date: July 22, 2012 01:14AM

Well, NerdLinger, I went to your talk last night and you did a REALLY super nice job.

I don't think it could have been any better. You were comfortable and engaging and covered all the right ground.

Plus it was preceded by a replay of the Sweeney program including the Park Romney interview and the Holland "dodo" line. Coool!

Sorry I didn't get to meet you and your wife afterward, but I didn't want to butt into the conversations you were already in, and I had a huge craving for the Rotary Club salt potatoes (a very localized regional favorite) at the Hill.

Anyhow, I'm the guy with crewcut white hair who sat near the projector.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.