Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elizabeth, my temple name ( )
Date: July 24, 2012 06:56PM

My very TBM 70 year old husband came in after trying to mow the front law saying he got dizzy and felt very hot. It was heat exhaustion. I helped him cool off.

He knows I took my garments off years ago and I don't believe any of it. He also knows I'm much cooler on hot, humid summer days.

He took off his garment top, just wore his T shirt and finished mowing. He said he felt much cooler and it felt healthier.

I replied that garments can be killers in the heat.

I'm just wondering about the gardening wearing garments message from the church. What was it, who said it, and why would they need to single out gardening? Seems totally unhealthy and dangerous. Almost like telling the pioneers to just come to Utah in handcarts and they will be safe. Ya right.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Whiskey_Tango ( )
Date: July 24, 2012 07:09PM

It came out several months ago. The guys at the top got the word that members were using gardening as an excuse to not wear their Garments....They had to nip that in the bud PDQ or the next thing you know members might start watching R Rated movies and the such and before you know it they will be thinking for themselves.....Can't have that now can we?

Posted by: dazed11 ( )
Date: July 24, 2012 07:15PM

It is in the church handbook of instructions in the public part that is online. The garment can be removed for activities like swimming but for any activity that can reasonably be done with the garment on it should not be removed. Yard work is specifically mentioned as one of those situations where the garment should be worn. I think considering his age and the heat it is not reasonable so he shouldn't feel guilty about it. http://www.lds.org/handbook/handbook-2-administering-the-church/selected-church-policies

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.