Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ambivalent exmo ( )
Date: August 08, 2012 02:20AM

Reading on another exmo board about runtus stalker.
Followed the link to a blog
to read a post.

2 paragraphs in and my eyeballs started to cross.
I just don't understand how
these folks can stay in the church
after studying the evidence.
My only guess is that they enjoy some
creepy power trip.
I cannot see any other reason.

It's 2012. The scientific world has disproved tscc on every front.
Historically.
Linguistically.
No archeological evidence: wouldn't they have found evidence of that
giant last battle? Where are the steel weapons? Where are the ruins?

Court documents, land deeds, eye-witness accounts, and so on.
Can someone please explain to me how intelligent adults can
have access to this info, study it daily,
and STILL perpetuate the myth?
Is there good money in this?
It's got to be power and/or money.
Otherwise how could they keep up the facade?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: my2cents ( )
Date: August 08, 2012 01:12PM

And there are lots of theories about why otherwise intelligent people continue to buy into the church, in spite of the wealth of information showing it to be a myth.

Power and money are but two of them, but I think it extends even further into the personality traits of those who still stay in, even with kowledge of facts to the contrary. There is a certain type of personality that likes regimentation. They find it too difficult to navigate life on their own terms. They need that regimentation, because they then don't have to think and make difficult decisions.

Also, there is an element of the supernatural working with them. I have an older sister who not only is TBM, but has a firm belief in UFO's and Bigfoot. She is very attracted to the supernatural. Which in some ways does explain her attraction to religion in general. Evolution just isn't sexy enough, creationism and the plan of salvation is mystical and draws the attention of those so inclined to follow those philosophies.

Mormons have been conditioned all their lives to follow the "promptings of the spirit", and to discount any facts that do not support what the "sprit" tells them. Facts are irrelevant, unless they support the party line.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2012 01:14PM by my2cents.

Posted by: ambivalent exmo ( )
Date: August 08, 2012 04:27PM

I get that run o the mill tbms crave the structure,
superstitious and mythological stuff in tscc.
That is human behavior.
I guess my point was this:
The apologists have unfettered access
to tscc historical documents
that most of us "little folks"
do not.

With all of the evidence
staring them in the face,
how can they still continue on?

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: August 08, 2012 04:44PM

The church doesn’t have a corner on intelligent folk even those whose area of study or career would be in an informational position to know better.

Here is a simple example.

This is from the Flat Earth Society web page.

“The International Flat Earth Society was formally founded in 1956 by Samuel Shenton, a Fellow of the Royal Astronomical Society and the Royal Geographic Society. Shenton died in 1971 and Charles K. Johnson became president of the International Flat Earth Society. Johnson actively and charistmatically promoted the Society and, over time, its membership increased to over 3,000. His wife Marjory took an active role in the Society as well, often contributing articles to the Flat Earth Society Newsletter.

In 1995, a fire destroyed the Johnson's home as well as all of the Flat Earth Society's library, archives and membership lists. Following a long period of poor health, Charles K. Johnson's wife Marjory Johnson passed away in 1996. He vowed to rebuild the society. Sadly, Charles K. Johnson passed away in 2001 at the age of 76, leaving the Society's future uncertain.

After several years of inactivity, the Flat Earth Society was resurrected in 2004 and remains active today at theflatearthsociety.org. The Society officially reopened to new members on 30th October 2009.

“Samuel Shenton, a Fellow of the Royal Astronomical Society and the Royal Geographic Society.”

How is it that this man could become a member of such a society? The reasons are many and the church , like any other organization that can twist facts to make folks think they have “special” knowledge, does not have a corner on smart folk believing things they logically know are not possible.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.