Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: September 19, 2012 02:20AM

Another one just came to mind -
When I am baptized

The winner line:
"I want my life to be as clean as earth right after rain"

Wouldn't that be mud?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ducky333 ( )
Date: September 19, 2012 03:09AM

LOL. Still up and still laughing. I swear, now I can't get these primary songs outta my head.

Posted by: annonnn ( )
Date: September 19, 2012 03:25AM

Brilliant!

bc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Another one just came to mind -
> When I am baptized
>
> The winner line:
> "I want my life to be as clean as earth right
> after rain"
>
> Wouldn't that be mud?

Posted by: emma ( )
Date: September 19, 2012 08:53AM

Yes, exactly, that line makes no sense. I love to see the temple is another one that is just nuts. I looked up the date on that one and yes, it is written before 1990. What kind of mind altering drugs was that lady on when she wrote that song?

Posted by: SerendipityHappensnotloggedin ( )
Date: September 19, 2012 09:06AM

If anyone says Popcorn Popping on the Apricot Tree, There will be hell to pay.. That and Little purple pansies were my FAVORITE songs to sing as a child.. hmmmm I wonder why? Oh yeah, because they had absolutely NOTHING to so with Mormonisim. I've heard that these two songs are not in the childrens song book anymore.. is that true????

Anyway, the one I always HATED was "I'm so glad when Daddy Comes Home"... Since my father rarely came home sober or at a decent hour I just felt like the song was mocking me... even as a five year old I wouldn't sing this song.

Posted by: southern should login ( )
Date: September 19, 2012 01:46PM

Wait, is the popcorn song an lds song?? Ugh, my mother in law sings it to the kids so much, it turned into one of their favorites for a while. If this is some churchy song then I now understand why my bic husband thought it was so hilarious that I sang, "Possums popping on the apricot tree" Maybe I was being irreverent lol

Posted by: Dallin A. Chokes ( )
Date: September 19, 2012 02:32PM

Someone used "Popcorn popping" on David Letterman to "Stump the Band". Paul Shaeffer made up some groove for what he thought the song should sound like, but they couldn't place it. The guy in the audience was from Utah, I believe. I'm sure it's on Youtube.

Posted by: nomo moses ( )
Date: September 19, 2012 11:00AM

I truly loved almost all primary songs and really enjoy when I come accross some of the old ones in our Lutheran hymnal.

I think it is funny that with words changing meaning, they had to change some of the songs. Especially the old line...

"It's always fun when grandpa comes, when grandpa comes, we're gay!" was changed to "hooray!"

Posted by: notsurewhattothink ( )
Date: September 19, 2012 11:13AM

I always sang "Little Purple Panties" because I thought a "panty" was a flower.

The stupid articles of faith songs were so hard to remember that I felt it was easier just to memorize the words themselves.

I also can not stand Book of Mormon stories.

Posted by: quebec ( )
Date: September 19, 2012 01:30PM

When church was fairly new in Quebec, some of the members that were bilingual would do translations of the songs and hymns because we did not have any official translations from the church.
Then the church came out with a blue book for the hymns and an orange book for the primary songs. So we had to learn new words again because that was now the official translations.
Then much later came out the French green hymnbook and the French primary book (exactly like the English one) and that was the new official translations. So we had to relearn the same songs for a third time.
Some were hugely changed and others with slight variations and truth be told I liked the old versions better. Not necesaraly because I didn't like new things but because some of the new translations were closer to the sense of the English "original" but sometimes it was more beautiful in the old version.
I had the feeling that many of the songs had lost "character" in that last new official version.

Posted by: Crathes ( )
Date: September 19, 2012 01:40PM

Follow the prophet,
Follow the prophet,
Follow the prophet,
etc.

CULT!!!!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.