Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: bingoe4 ( )
Date: October 20, 2012 02:39AM

My friend's dad has been doing some data entry for the church so that he can get remote access to their genealogy records. He is very interested in his ancestry.

Has anyone heard os this before? He does a little bit of research for the church and then "inputs names into a system they provide."

We had a very fun conversation tonight about what the church does with those names after he puts them in. He was creeped out by the proxy stuff and knew nothing about any of it.

He said, "I can't believe we could have a cult member as our next president."

I pledge to educate people one at a time.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: October 20, 2012 02:50AM

It's probably called indexing. Several people input the same data from immigration records, census records, etc. It helps eliminate errors, and some of the records are hard to read, so it gets more than one pair of eyes helping interpret the old handwriting. I had no idea that you can't have access unless you're a Mo or doing work for them.

Posted by: Jude ( )
Date: October 20, 2012 03:00AM

twojedis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I had no idea that you can't
> have access unless you're a Mo or doing work for
> them.

Access is available but good quality remote access you need to being work for the morg.

If the records in the system had been fun, I would have kept it up.

Posted by: Jude ( )
Date: October 20, 2012 02:56AM

I did a few years ago. Back then. The amount of work was pretty small. The access was not as good as going down to the temple records.

And I knew several historians who made the deal too. The history inputted was too sanitized. I would find out X had 4 wives (Nevermo) was a drunk and killed 6 people with a machete. And it would crop up as faithful leader of his community with mo leanings.

While mo records are huge. there are gaps in the fun stuff.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.