Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cantbsabser ( )
Date: October 31, 2012 02:54PM

I cant understand why a black person would ever even consider becoming or staying mormon once the find out about what former propheteers have said about them.

Same goes for polynesians who were told they were jaredites or american indians who were told they are decendents of the laminites when we all know the dna disproves that and the mormon church has backed away by changing the intro to the bom a few years ago and the light anddelightsome stuff.

Any african americans, polynesians or american indians like to share their thoughts?

fyi, I am 1/16 cherokee and I have always enjoyed darkening my skin by tanning in the sun so light and delightsome is a negative for me!!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Ponti ( )
Date: October 31, 2012 06:50PM

I can't agree with you more. I trained the first black south African missionary in London, Mission. He was awesome. Good looking, amiable, coolest guy ever. We went to a door during tracting one day. The black older man who answered the door said, "Oh bloody 'ell. It's a black mormon missionary. Listen bloke, don't you know w'at dem biggot mormons have said about you, me, and all black men. Your a fool son." I honestly didn't know about the terribly racist comments of Breedom Young and the other so called "men of god." I think that Londoner, on that dark fall night, pretty much summed it up - they're fools. I grew up in a poly ward. Some of the nicest people you'd ever meet, even as a teacher would tell them that they are offspring of the cursed, and would be made white some day. Incredible that they just sit there and take it. Fools.

Posted by: Facsimile 3 ( )
Date: October 31, 2012 06:55PM

Polynesians are believed to be Nephites who migrated to the Pacific islands before the continental Nephites became a fallen people. I think this is why LDS seem to hold them in higher esteem than the other non-whites.

Date: October 31, 2012 07:06PM

post cursing. Still, though, I agree, being cursed less than the black man. Mormons cannot hold the Lamanites in a high esteem, if they maintain that they are cursed because of their skin.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: October 31, 2012 11:41PM

Ponti, check the book. Hagoth and followers were Nephites.

Date: November 01, 2012 11:02AM

I'll use FAIR to prove my "point." Yes, the BOM makes mention of Haggoth being a Nephite, BUT in the church, prophets regard the islanders as Lamanites. The poly's are taught that they are lamanites. I know this first hand, because I've seen visiting GA's in my area, refer to the poly's in the audience as lamanites. This FAIR article is partially correct on the matter.

http://en.fairmormon.org/Book_of_Mormon/Lamanites/Relationship_to_Polynesians

Posted by: anon321 ( )
Date: November 01, 2012 11:59AM

This is what Joseph F. Smith, Anthon H. Lund, and John Henry Smith said in 1911, reprinted in The New Era, June 1981

http://lds.org/new-era/1981/06/maori-traditions-and-the-mormon-church?lang=eng

“The Lord … directed their course away from this continent [America] to their [the Polynesian ancestors’] island homes, that they might not be left to be preyed upon and destroyed by the more wicked part of the House of Israel whose descendants still roam upon this continent in a fallen and degraded state. … This is the secret of the overruling hand of providence which has been over you all from that time until you received the gospel through the preaching of the elders, and until the present time. …

“And we repeat, the reason that few of the islands of the sea have been more highly favored and blessed in the Lord than those of your brethren of this continent is because of the worthiness of your forefathers who were led away and separated from their brethren of this continent, and because of the blessing of the Lord which has attended you, their children, from that time to the present.”

Mormonism's racism includes the teaching that Polynesians are better than American Indians.

Posted by: cantbsabser ( )
Date: October 31, 2012 06:54PM

very sad

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: October 31, 2012 11:29PM

even though I didn't believe in it -- it was for marriage. My Mormon boyfriend's extended family freaked out and it didn't happen. My 1/4 black ancestry marked me supposedly as a descendant of Cain but also as being cursed for being less valiant in the War in Heaven and the product of the sin of race mixing. I didn't know much about Mormonism then but I know everything now.The funny thing is that to most white people I'm a tan California blonde and black people don't treat me as black. Mormons, however, think I'm cursed.

If you haven't read this already it has a lot of information on the history of black-white relations in the LDS church:

http://connellodonovan.com/black_white_marriage.html

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: November 01, 2012 11:37AM

Being a black mormon has a lot of perks offered by all the white Mormons eager to show they aren't racist - towards the ward black mormon.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: November 01, 2012 11:56AM

It's a grand church for straight white old men.

Not so much for women, gays, or people of the so-called cursed ethnicities.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.