Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: November 21, 2012 07:11PM

NASA's Mars rover Curiosity has apparently made a discovery "for the history books," but we'll have to wait a few weeks to learn what the new Red Planet find may be, media reports suggest.

http://www.space.com/18565-mars-rover-curiosity-discovery-mystery.html

I recently made the remark that I want to live long enough to see life discovered somewhere besides earth... Maybe this is it!

It's probably in the scriptures somewhere already, but I haven't found it there. (After the fact, we'll certainly hear all about how it was in there all along.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2012 07:11PM by rationalguy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: November 21, 2012 07:30PM

Elohim?

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: November 21, 2012 07:35PM

Interesting. Let's wait and see...

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 21, 2012 07:38PM

Very cool! I'll be looking forward to the news. I'm almost starting to think of Curiosity as a person. It's been such an interesting mission.

Every time a board member links to space.com, I find that I enjoy that site very much.

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: November 21, 2012 10:59PM

perhaps they found the three nephites! we haven't heard of their adventures for a while...

Posted by: schmendrick ( )
Date: November 21, 2012 11:01PM

This had better not just be some new LaTeX idea.

Posted by: nonamekid ( )
Date: November 21, 2012 11:25PM

CNN had the same story.
In the comments somebody posted this:
"They have discovered Joseph Smith living there with his 27 teenage wives. Jesus !"

This is the legacy of the Mormon moment.

Posted by: rodolfo ( )
Date: November 21, 2012 11:32PM

Probably tall hats and discarded quaker clothing

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: November 22, 2012 12:21AM

I was going to guess a butter churn.

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: November 22, 2012 01:31AM

wooden submarines

Posted by: rob (not logged in) ( )
Date: November 22, 2012 10:58AM

I'm pretty sure they found a coke bottle.

Posted by: ladell ( )
Date: November 22, 2012 11:06AM

This guy
http://wordpressapi.com/2010/08/02/free-cartoon-mobile-wallpapers-iphone-mobile/marvin-the-martian/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2012 11:07AM by ladell.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: November 22, 2012 11:07AM

Twinkies?

Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: November 22, 2012 11:07AM

Stuffing mines?

Posted by: greekgod ( )
Date: November 22, 2012 11:37AM

Cureloms and Cumoms?

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 22, 2012 11:42AM

The gold plates?

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: November 22, 2012 11:48AM

I'm very curious to find out what they think they found that they are verifying before they report.

Whatever it is, they need to give the trail of evidence that independent scientists can see and come to the same conclusion. (Obviously this is not how religion operates which is why religion has less credibility.)

My guess is that they found a very simple molecule that is a building block of a carbon based replication system. Or maybe something about water? Metal? Salt? Maybe an atmospheric component they didn't expect? To the average person this kind of thing may not seem interesting or important.

Whatever they find, it will add to our knowledge about how things came to be the way they are. Stupid scientists. They could have just asked a prophet.

If any of the predictions made above pan out to be true, I will personally send the poster who made the correct guess a BoM with a testimony inside. :-)

Posted by: just a thought ( )
Date: November 22, 2012 12:04PM

Their scientific care over determining what is real and what is not is very refreshing.

And yet nearly anyone can write articles and books full of theories about a fictional people without a shred of evidence, other than a book written by a convicted con man.

Even elaborate theories about where this fictional people lived and why the word "horse" doesn't really mean horse.

Way to go science, good on ya.

Posted by: Lostmypassword ( )
Date: November 22, 2012 12:22PM

Perhaps a Mars-shaking discovery?

Posted by: Mormoney ( )
Date: November 22, 2012 12:26PM

I think the speculation was that it was finding methane and nitrogen and whatever other chemicals or gasses that would confirm that live could have possibly been on mars billions of years ago. Not in any way having found fossilized remains.

Anyway, should be interesting.

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: November 22, 2012 12:39PM

One site did a contest on what the 'earth shaking mars discovery' may be

http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad221/furterfan/marsdiscovery.jpg

[not mine... I would credit the source, but it contains one of the unknown and unguessable banned words]

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: November 22, 2012 12:43PM

Skepticism is good, and they are careful for good reasons. A scientist who makes a claim is going to have the rest of them trying to shoot down his claim because that's the way it works.

The most likely possibility is as was said, some organic molecules from past life. I really hope, though, that they've found more fragile molecules that would have had to come from current living things. I like this possibility!

Extremeophiles live in more challenging conditions on earth right now, compared to some of the likely conditions on Mars, like under the dirt a bit, some bacteria-like stuff that can hibernate and spring back to life when it gets sunny. Some parts of Mars get up in the 70 degree F. range at odd times.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: November 22, 2012 03:26PM

I don't have time to review what everyone said above, so my apologies if someone else mentioned it...

Another story mentioned that they'd found something "unique" about the origins of water on Mars, and that it hadn't come from comets as they suspected, but from other sources...

I could be wrong, but this kind of hype and salesmanship isn't good for science or science education.

P.S. Over on ldsfreedomforum they're probably debating whether Curiosity is actually broadcasting from Mars or a green screen stage in Burbank...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2012 03:28PM by SL Cabbie.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.