Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: November 28, 2012 12:36AM

We all know the basics: CTR rings, Moroni tie tacks, Greg Olsen art. But what are some of the things that you've seen Mormons buy that are a little over-the-top and possibly unique to Mormon culture. Here are a few of mine:

* Color-coordinated baptism receptions (think 8-year-old brides).
* Life-sized cutouts of missionaries prominently displayed in the front room or, more interestingly, in wedding photos or other life events in place of the missing family member.
* Eagle Scout or Mission portraits taken the way bridal shots are.
* Those upside-down stars from the Salt Lake Temple as a stained glass window hanging
* Wedding pictures of the bride and groom displayed at the reception - taken before the wedding (or is this a wedding trend in general?)
* Those wall hangings that say "Keep Calm and Go to the Temple."

Anyone else seen anything new?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: BOUNCED! ( )
Date: November 28, 2012 12:54AM

Plastic gold colored Moroni Christmas tree topper. Only $25 at Deseret Bookstore and it could grace your tree this season.

:-)

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: November 28, 2012 01:23AM

You totally forgot the racist BofM themed inaction figures. They're inaction figures, because it is impossible to have fun playing with them.

Posted by: rosemary ( )
Date: November 28, 2012 01:24PM

Hey, I like those things. Years ago my husband and I saw a kid in SM playing with a Moroni-on-his-horse one and my husband (attending just for me) pointed out that there were no horses in America at that time. It was the first time I had ever heard that and was very surprised. Then I read a book about the history of our continent and found out how true it was. Huge deal.

Hey, somebody should design and sell their own BOM figures with baseball card type printouts saying stuff like, "Did you know.......there were no steel instruments during the historical era the BOM is said to take place?"

Great anti-missionary tool.

Date: November 28, 2012 01:36AM

Naked playing cards of Brigham Young's wives. Okay, this one doesn't exist, yet, but it should. Of course the pictures on the cards will have to be dated from when the girls were of age of consent, which would mean some would have to be depicted after BY lost interest in them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2012 01:36AM by forbiddencokedrinker.

Posted by: rutabaga ( )
Date: November 28, 2012 01:26PM

Good one, FCD

Posted by: motherwhoknows ( )
Date: November 28, 2012 03:43AM

How about a blown-up photo of the bride and groom at their actual wedding ceremony, in full temple garb.

Ugh, ugh, ugh, pictures of temples. I mean, that's worshipping a building. My mother had an original oil painting of the Salt Lake Temple, by a famous Utah artist, and I sold it for a bundle, so that was my favorite.

Still, I was in the Deseret Bookstore with a group of pious RM's, the first time I saw Joseph and Hyrum bookends, and I burst out laughing, with tears, and the giggling kept coming back, all evening. (You laugh more when you aren't supposed to.)

Posted by: treehugger ( )
Date: November 28, 2012 12:34PM

Mormon chapstick with a label that says "Modest is hottest". Whaaa?

edit - That reminds me, I had a friend whose older sister threw away the Dr. Pepper-flavored chapsticks that she received at her baby shower because it was "breaking the Word of Wisdom".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2012 12:35PM by treehugger.

Date: November 28, 2012 01:34PM

Posted by: deconverted2010 ( )
Date: November 28, 2012 01:19PM

Everything mormon. I converted as an adult in a far away from Utah place. We had a small mormon store. This was before you were able to buy online. I thought some things were too much but more importantly I thought the prices were ridiculously high.

Fast forward a few years, I visited SLC and, of course, their bookstores. I couldn't believe how much mormon stuff was there. Again, I found everything very expensive. I think I bought a book and a CD.

Silly things I did buy:
CTR rings
Missionary cards (to send to those on a mission)
a picture of the first presidency (small one, but what was I thinking?)
personalized scriptures

I refused to spend money o:
Books about the life or quotes of the prophets. I thought that should be free to members.
The cartoon videos of the BoM - I thought reading the actual book was way better and besides the Disney movies were cheaper than those videos =)

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )

I was just walking through walmart yesterday when I came across the mo section. They had an entire display just for YW jewelry...wtf?

Posted by: MJ ( )

Does that count?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2012 01:27PM by MJ.

Date: November 28, 2012 01:36PM

"You can describe the flavor of THIS salt!"

Date: November 28, 2012 01:53PM

I remember that seminary lesson! ugh

Posted by: spanner ( )
Date: November 28, 2012 02:24PM

We use "Real Salt" from Redmond, Utah. I always assumed it was nonmormon as the label describes dinosaurs swimming in a pristine jurassic sea when it was formed. The kids call it "dinosaur pee". I call it "reality salt". It has minerals and stuff (dinosaur pee, the kids are probably right) in it, tastes much nicer than purified salt.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2012 02:25PM by spanner.

Date: November 28, 2012 02:29PM

I use it too. I had actually forgotten about that until your post!

Posted by: exmollymo ( )
Date: November 28, 2012 01:38PM

Art work from the distribution center that some members decorate their home in. Hideous!

Posted by: Alice ( )
Date: November 28, 2012 01:39PM

Someone gave my brother a "liahona" for Christmas. I assume it wasn't a real, operating liahona. He re-gifted it, before I could see what it looked like. How could anyone know what a liahona looks like, anyway? They ought to market seer stones! (If they don't work, it is because the buyer isn't faithful enough) And top-hats to put the stones into.

Are Mormon artists given special permission to render stuff like the golden plates, the urine thumb mounted on a breastplate, pre-bronze age steel swords, Egyptian-looking wardrobes for the muscular Nephites, etc?

I'd love to get my TBM niece a stuffed curelom for Christmas. Maybe there is an ex-Mormon niche in the market. I'd like a miniature of the Gigal Gardens sphinx.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: November 28, 2012 01:50PM

I have to say, the gold Angel Moroni tree topper beats anything I've got. That has to be the ultimate in Mormon kitsch.

However, I've seen a statuette of Gordon B. Hinckley waving a hanky. I've also seen a Salt Lake Temple shot glass.

Posted by: stbleaving ( )
Date: November 28, 2012 01:58PM

Excuse me while I comb the internet for these wonders and buy, like, two dozen of them.

Edited to add: Found 'em! The link gets scrambled when I try to add it, but they're on cafe press. There's also a Salt Lake Temple cocktail shaker for those discerning exmos who would like to complete their alcoholic temple experience.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2012 02:03PM by stbleaving.

Date: November 28, 2012 02:28PM

Excellent!

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: November 28, 2012 02:38PM

+10,000

Posted by: stbleaving ( )
Date: November 28, 2012 08:53PM

Dang it, now I wanna sneak into my former church building and pinch a sacrament tray or four. Tonight's YM/YW night (and the anonymous confidential Addiction Recovery Group night), so the building is open and there are dozens of people milling around...

Date: November 29, 2012 09:09AM

Where's the little slot to drop the used cups into?

Posted by: crafty ( )
Date: November 28, 2012 01:52PM

Date: November 28, 2012 01:54PM

my hamster would enjoy that home very much!

Date: November 29, 2012 08:53AM

Hebrew steampunk! Curious workmanship, indeed. That is fantastic!

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 28, 2012 08:54PM

Pictures of Jesus with the caption that has him saying, "I never said it would be easy. I only said that it would be worth it."

What the hell part of the Bible or Book of Mormon did THAT come from? Yet Mormons appear to believe that Jebus said it.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: November 29, 2012 08:24AM

And it's really a picture of Jebus telling a fib since he actually DID say it would be easy. "For my yoke is easy and my burden is light..."

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 29, 2012 08:51AM

Aye, 'tis true, says I.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.