Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: DebbiePA ( )
Date: October 13, 2010 03:38AM

Since I've left the church, over ten years ago, my four kids have all left as well, and none of them consider themselves Mormons. When they were growing up, we attended a small branch and there were a lot of kids in their age group (now between 25-35), with varying degrees of activity in the church.

This past weekend, for different events, all of them were home and the three oldest, who are all over 21, went to the local bar to hang out. Lo and behold, there were THREE of their former LDS friends out drinking. When they told me about it later, I was laughing like crazy because the parents are all still uber-Mo and probably have no idea that their little darlings were out boozing it up with MY little ex-mo darlings.

It does my heart good to know that little by little the church is losing ground in this area. Cheers!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: October 13, 2010 09:18AM

Another thread was about Mormons and secrets, including how they won't tell non-members and exmos the family secrets. So I wonder how often TBMs hide it when a child strays from the path of righteousness. After all, it means they failed as good LDS parents. Mom & Dad must not have been righteous/worthy/diligent enough. Shame on them, right?

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: October 13, 2010 11:11AM

who returned and reported that most of their mission was spent in the midwest, dedicated to keeping young adults active. Apparently, the activity rate in this age group is about 18 percent in that area. There might be one YA in one city and two more in a city 45 minutes away. The idea was to reactivate the others and set up institute-type classes, temple trips, social activities - even FHE so these adults wouldn't be "lost". They talked a lot about all the ways they tried to serve this group's needs. Of course, how do you compete with common sense and access to information, which today's youth and young adults have in buckets?

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: October 13, 2010 11:31AM

Aw. man, this takes me back to my young single adult days. Never mind one's commitment to the church, we had jobs, money, cars, our own apartments and a huge list of things we'd rather do than the exceedingly lame activities the church offered. The church hated it that we were perfectly capable of doing things on our own, without the group, the flock. By the time you have a few years out in the workforce and the real world, you're entitled to make your own friends, your own plans, your own fun. They hated it we weren't married and shackled to the church's agenda. The church has nothing to offer single adults. The system is set up for children and parents, not independent people.

Posted by: Scooter ( )
Date: October 13, 2010 01:24PM

you did enjoy watching the Muppets Take Manhattan with the gang.

Posted by: DebbiePA ( )
Date: October 15, 2010 02:40AM

Of this group I talked about, at least two are divorced. One had a child out of wedlock after the divorce and the dad isn't in the picture. One got married and had a baby about 6 months later. Another just got married, and definitely not in the temple. In fact, the temple marriages are few and far between. My kids have seen some of their former LDS friends out in bars before. Hardly any of these kids have gone on missions. I went to a birthday party for one of the grandchildren of my old (still active) friends, and two of her kids have a live-in situation, and wow...the TATTOOS on these kids are amazing.

I realize that here in the northeast it's not like out west. There is a lot more outside influence. But when I think of the years of indoctrination that have flown out the window, I must say, it does my heart good. Clearly, a lot of these children of converts are thinking for themselves, and realizing that the way they were raised has no basis in reality. I'm still waiting to see who comes out as gay.

Posted by: Strykary ( )
Date: October 15, 2010 08:56AM

It's surprisingly common among the youth. We do what we want in secret...even the SP's son boozed it up. I haven't seen anyone who has actually left the church though, they've all gone on missions. Your mileage may vary I guess...

Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: October 16, 2010 02:01AM

I visited my 2 daughters singles ward about 4 years ago on one of my trips to Salt Lake. My daughters were then 23 and 25. I couldnt believe all the "older" guys there. My 2 were by far the youngest and I hate to say it but the only 2 girls in the room that looked like they even cared how they looked. Lot's of good-looking guys in their late twenties/early thirties.My girls told me about sme of them and how they were having way to much fun to get married. Their parents must be close to cardiac arrest.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.