Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: December 14, 2012 03:14PM

"There is no theological answer for this," a local rabbi told CNN's Wolf Blitzer--a rabbi who has been attempting the impossible task of consoling members of his congregation.

There is no answer, indeed.
_____

For breaking, unfolding details on the massacre:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/14/us/connecticut-school-shooting/index.html

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2012 04:03PM by steve benson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: December 14, 2012 03:15PM

Standard theological response:

Isn't it great that jesus died for the shooter's sins? Now even HE can get into heaven to worship jesus for the rest of eternity without end... ever.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2012 04:00PM by kolobian.

Posted by: cecil0812 ( )
Date: December 14, 2012 03:58PM

I can give you a "theological" response to this.

The God of the big three religions, Christianity, Islam, and Judaism are supposed to be omnipotent. In fact, most of the gods worshiped are omnipotent, including the Mormon Elohim.

If God really is omnipotent and still lets shit like this happen, he's not a God I would ever want to worship. If God's plan involves the murdering of innocent children (which happens all the time, all around the world), that is not a God I want any part of.

The much more simple explanation is that God doesn't exist and therefore these atrocities are solely governed by the asshole who went into the school and shot up the place. Unfortunately, he's dead so we can't punish him for this heinous act.

Posted by: toto ( )
Date: December 14, 2012 04:03PM

Some of my TBM FB friends are using the tragedy in Connecticut to make fun of the wearing-pants-on-Sunday campaign. Can one not be connected to the other, please?

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: December 14, 2012 04:09PM

I expect some fundie retard will soon be telling us that this is because of
Obama
Gay marraige
Gay people in general
or any number of other fundie hot-button issues

Posted by: Nehor ( )
Date: December 14, 2012 05:43PM

Bryan Fischer is nuts and his god is very hateful..

Bryan Fischer spent the first hour of his radio program today discussing this morning's truly horrific shooting at an elementary school in Connecticut, which he, of course, blamed on the fact that prayer, the Bible, and the Ten Commandments are not taught in public schools.

Fischer said that God could have protected the victims of this massacre, but didn't because "God is not going to go where he is not wanted" and so if school administrators really want to protect students, they will start every school day with prayer:

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/fischer-god-didnt-stop-ct-school-shooting-because-hes-gentleman-who-doesnt-go-where-he-not-w

Posted by: biblebeltbetsy ( )
Date: December 14, 2012 07:29PM

Right, teach God in school, and the kids will be protected from mass shootings....

...except for those Amish children who were killed when a man who opened fire in their one-room school house (where scripture study is woven into their curriculum).

I call bull$#!t.

Posted by: Lilith ( )
Date: December 14, 2012 04:42PM

Posted by: just a thought ( )
Date: December 14, 2012 04:54PM

Ok, I'll say it: that is fucked up.

And religious leaders wonder why the number of "non affliated" is growing faster than believers (also referred to as sheep).

Posted by: John_Lyle ( )
Date: December 14, 2012 06:53PM

He's wrong. We kicked god out of the government when the constitution was ratified. It may have taken until 1961 to finally enforce it, but god was out from the beginning...

But, then, this guy's grasp on reality doesn't seem to be that strong, so he might not of noticed...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2012 06:53PM by John_Lyle.

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: December 14, 2012 07:02PM

Another clown who thinks a sphincter makes a good hat.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: December 14, 2012 07:02PM

There IS an answer - the answer is US! HOW WE VOTE MATTERS. WHAT WE PROTEST MATTERS. What are our laws if not a reflection of who we are as a people? STOP THE NRA!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 14, 2012 07:09PM

One of the teachers at my school, who was extremely upset, said to me that she just wanted to understand WHY. She said, I just want to get inside the shooter's head for a few minutes to understand, and then they could do whatever that want to do with him.

I can tell you, Steve, that every educator has played through this scenario in his or her mind. What would we do? During one lockdown, I found it very challenging to keep my kids quiet and in one designated corner of the locked classroom. We do the best we can. Yet it doesn't seem like enough.

Posted by: enoughenoch19 ( )
Date: December 15, 2012 03:17AM

I wish someone would point out the number of wars which have been fought in the name of one God or another. Then the religious right would say that the reason God lets this happen is because He is mad cause of the all the wars in His name or something like that.
Also as far as the NRA goes ................ here is the facebook post I think best says it! Perhaps the NRA could go out in the desert and shoot each other with their assault rifles until we need no longer worry about them!

Are people ready to ban assault rifles yet? Or what is it going to take? We have about 30 people dead THIS WEEK due to assault rifles. Those are the ones we know of. When the founding fathers provided the right to bear arms, they did not foresee the weapons we have now and BTW they did not say "GUNS," they said "ARMS," meaning weapons. I know, I know everyone is going to say "I have the right to bear arms." So do you have to right to have a long or short term nuke missile? Do you have the right to have the small pox virus? How about a suitcase nuke? Do you have the right to have mustard gas? sarin gas? Atomic bombs? Any bombs? Do you have the right to anthrax? Ebola virus? How far does this right go? Our founding fathers did not intend the citizen to bear MILITARY weapons and that is what assault rifles are. As long as everyone is willing to let citizens purchase and carry around military weapons, then any mililtary weapon should be in the same c...lass and for sale. Stop being so hypocritical..........military weapons should ALL BE ILLEGAL with very stiff penalties for owning them and even stiffer penalties for selling them. I am so angry I could spit tacks!
Next we will hear "Keep these out of the hands of people with mental illnesses." Like all people with mental illnesses have a sign on them stating the nature of their mental illness when they enter the weapons store. Get a grip.........that is not going to happen. How many people have to die each year before the message gets out?
Here is another one......... "I need my assault rifle to shoot animals." Unless you are hunting BIGFOOT, you don't moron, you don't.

Since when did shooting animals become a SPORT? It will be a short when the animals have the assault rifles too. Hunting costs more than filling your freezer with a good 1/2 of a beef so don't give me that "I must feed my starving family" crap. Add up the cost of the hunting license, the assault rifle, ammunition, a lot of gas for the expensive pick-up truck, several cases of beer. Yes you could buy 1/2 beef. Don't lie to me about it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2012 03:27AM by enoughenoch19.

Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: December 15, 2012 03:32AM

"The rifle was recovered from the back of a car at the school, and the two pistols were recovered from inside the school where 20 students and six adults were murdered."

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-57559298-504083/connecticut-school-shooting-update-two-handguns-found-at-school-one-rifle-in-suspects-car/

Posted by: nonamekid ( )
Date: December 16, 2012 12:11AM

http://www.sfgate.com/news/crime/article/Conn-gunman-broke-in-shot-kids-multiple-times-4120488.php

"On Saturday, Carver, the medical examiner, said that all the victims at the school were shot with a rifle, at least some of them up close, and that all were apparently shot more than once. All six adults killed at the school were women. Of the 20 children, eight were boys and 12 were girls."

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: December 16, 2012 01:56AM

You are clueless about hunting, sport shooting, types of guns or what they are used for.
Emotional vomit.

Date: December 16, 2012 05:03AM

Maybe you could enlighten us then since you are obviously the undisputed expert on the subject?

Regardless of how much he is "wrong" he's not wrong about the fact that the founding fathers never intended us on having the right to bear assault rifles.

We DO need stronger gun control in this country. Is that going to prevent a criminal from getting a gun if he really wants it? No, not at all and I don't pretend to know the solution to that but maybe it will make it a little harder for a 20 year old kid to get a weapon, head to elementary school, and murder little children.

How certain types of guns are used is really, really, REALLY irrelevant to this conversation so on second thought, maybe you shouldn't enlighten us since it really doesn't matter.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 15, 2012 01:09PM

According to christer theology, the shooter accepts jesus and then is absolved for his sins and then goes to heaven ?

Did I leave anything out ?

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: December 15, 2012 01:28PM

Nope, you got it all.

Date: December 16, 2012 05:05AM

You are correct. Meanwhile, the moral, law abiding atheist is going to burn in hell.

Yet another reason why the Abrahamic God is a crock of shit.

Posted by: bordergirl ( )
Date: December 16, 2012 05:06AM

Don't give either Mike Huckabee or Bryan Fischer a pass on this. Neither is sincere; both are willing to say or do whatever seems to promote "their beliefs". Sound familiar?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.