Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 12:30AM

One basic principle that I have kept in mind:
We are human beings first, part of a huge human family,more alike than different. Anything one human being can do so can another.

One of the most powerful things we can do for ourselves, especially when giving ourselves permission to evolve a new World View beyond Mormonism, is to understand how we, as human beings are more alike than different. There is great comfort in understanding that human behavior is essentially the same everywhere -- we are never really alone.

Other people are experiencing some of the same things we are, both positive and negative. Everyone experiences a wide variety of human behavior from the most altruistic, to the most debasing - only the levels vary. People experience such things as betrayal, and rejection many times in their life. They also experience loyalty, and strong friendships that last a lifetime, kindness, courtesy, politeness, and on and on. We experience anger, hate, rage, bullying, tattling, meanness, cruelty, etc, as well as love, compassion,trust, etc.

Psychology, for instance, is about the whole of human behavior, not just one small group of people. Learning how to deal with certain types of human behavior can be very beneficial whether we find it in a work environment, a church environment, home, school, sports, etc.

I have often said that in my decades of experience, there is one constant: the behavior stays basically the same, only the faces change! :-)

One of the best things I learned is that the same principles of dealing with human behavior apply in all facets of our lives. How I dealt with unwanted behavior at work was the same way I dealt with it in a church setting.
How I set my personal boundaries used the same principles also whether I was at work, or at church, or in class.

When I want a certain result, I use the same principles of human behavior to obtain those results. But, I must first determine if it's something I can control. If not, I can let that go and change something else.

Everyone finds what works for them when changing their mind about their beliefs. Leaving the LDS Church is usually, but not always, complicated and takes time to make major changes. I have found that the more I understand about human behavior, the easier it gets to make adjustments in how I deal with my fellow human beings.

One thing I know for sure: I like most people, I enjoy getting to know people, and learn from them. Everyone has something to teach me. And I keep learning something new.

Each of you makes your own choices and decisions about how to construct your lives after leaving the LDS Church.
It's an individual process with no manual and no right or wrong way to do it.

Basically, we keep on, keeping on!
I want the best outcome, so I choose those thinking processes and choices that will bring me the greatest personal power and joy and happiness.
Life is short. I want to enjoy it! :-)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 10:46AM

Very well said. If the behavior is a constant, which I agree it is, then the answer does seem to be personal boundaries and associating with people who exhibit more of the positive behavior.

It's easier to find and hang out with people who make you feel good than pound your head against an unproductive relationship trying to make it change.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.