Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: February 04, 2013 09:55AM

The quandary for John Dehlin was the failure to find what he would consider an alternative to moism which was sufficiently superior to staying in, trying to reform, and maintaining his family and cultural ties.

He was not a plant. His thoughts about LDS history were essentially point on.

Many of us have paid a high price for leaving TSCC. Some of us delayed, sometimes for many years, our exit because we saw nothing better and the costs outweighed the gain of honesty and freedom. In my case, I have greater faith but many on the board exit with the loss of all religious faith. I can understand Dehlen seeing this and also seeing some abuse their new freedom in their choices. Clearly, he holds to much of mormon culture and could see, also, from the results of many of us here, the real family costs of exiting.

I think John's doubts are as great as ever. Indeed, they are more than doubts, they are conclusions of fact and truth. I think that if his family came to the same conclusions and were to leave TSCC, he would run out quickly. That would seem a reasonably likely thing to happen. In the meantime, he is a danger to the church which does not accept disagreement or dissent.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2013 12:03PM by rhgc.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Rowell back ( )
Date: February 04, 2013 12:30PM

Did the Church pay John for his "Why people leave" data?

Did the Church pay John for any sort of consulting arrangement in the last 5 years?

Posted by: Carrots Tomatoes and Radishes ( )
Date: February 04, 2013 03:33PM

That's very understandable. It's too bad though, because even though he didn't see the better side of leaving, he had one of the BEST sides of leaving! If he was a threat to the church he could have fully exposed the church for what it was.

Posted by: Zeezromp ( )
Date: February 04, 2013 04:47PM

Now that John is back in church, what about his Videos like 'Why People Leave The Church and What We Can Do About it'.

That one helped affirm to me that all the controversial stuff I discovered was actually real and true.

Do you think he might be pressured to remove any of them as I can't see them helping anyone stay, rather the opposite.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.