Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: archytas ( )
Date: February 13, 2013 08:27PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtVOxVCx2tU&list=UU1yBKRuGpC1tSM73A0ZjYjQ&index=6

Beware of religions, even exotic religions.

When I first left mormonism, I had the naive idea that New Age or Eastern religions might be the path to true religion. I eventually figured out that religion's problems aren't limited to a particular sect or hemisphere.

If Zen is your path, I'm not stopping you. I'll even admit to still enjoying some of their texts, but I suggest you exercise suspicion with any and all gurus.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2013 12:00AM by archytas.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bvd ( )
Date: February 13, 2013 08:49PM

I Agree. I went down the new age path after I left mormonism and found out it's just a sophisticated form of religion. You just don't give your power away to the bishop, you give it to st. Jermain with his violet flaming sword...

Posted by: Joycee ( )
Date: February 13, 2013 08:55PM

I agree. I like Zen and Buddhism in general, but every religion has bs like this, especially when you are too trusting and naive. Be smart and take what you like, and leave the rest. There are a lot of con men/women out there who promise you enlightenment if you only sign over your life and bank account. The Hare Krishna's are downright frightening. A healthy dose of skepticism goes a long way in not getting taken advantage of.

Date: February 13, 2013 09:01PM

Agreed.

Date: February 13, 2013 09:03PM

"Don't blindly trust religious leaders, all they want to do is have sex with your wife." LMAO! That commentator pegged 'ol Joseph Smith didn't he?

Posted by: metatron ( )
Date: February 14, 2013 02:39PM

Absolutely!

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: February 13, 2013 09:25PM

Yes, all religions are started by someone with an angle. It either involves sex, power, money or more commonly, all three! I've never seen an exception to this rule.

Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: February 13, 2013 10:59PM

"I never trust the blues" the commentator said.
Well, that's what the subtitles said. The subtitles are very funny.

The reporters do give good advice: beware of religions!

"Don't blindly trust religious leaders; the first thing they want to do is have sex with your wife!"

Posted by: Cowardly lion ( )
Date: February 14, 2013 05:28AM

Agreed. I love learning about differant religions. But I have to keep in mind theyre still mans interpetation of what they think is the path to God. To be honest i cherry pick what I like and disregard what I dont. God gave us a brain and I believe he wants us to excersise it.

Posted by: kwyjibo ( )
Date: February 14, 2013 04:05AM

He was attempting to show them the sound of one hand clapping, but he slipped onto their boobs.

Posted by: metatron ( )
Date: February 14, 2013 02:37PM

Bwahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaa!

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: February 14, 2013 02:34PM

People get into trouble when they think they have to "join" something or worship some kind of leader.

Date: February 14, 2013 09:26PM

BadGirl, I totally agree.

I don't want to discourage people from trying meditation or reading Zen literature. Sam Harris even has good things to say about meditation (though I'm not sure which style he uses).

Date: February 14, 2013 10:44PM

Ex Hare Krishna Stephen Gelding states this about what he learned from his experience,

"I learned an important lesson about life on Earth: when the Spirit calls, think carefully before running off to join an organization calling itself "religious." Such institutions are, by nature, toxic to the spiritual quest, because their chief aim is not aiding the individual's spiritual growth, but growing and strengthening the institution per se (often at the expense and to the detriment of the individual)."

Posted by: davidlkent ( )
Date: February 14, 2013 02:59PM

You have sex with my wife? How about I have sex with your wife, then I marry her and you have sex with my wife? JS did it. A fine source for just what JS was up with women is an 1886 book called "Mormon Portraits", by Wilhelm Wyl. One of his informants was Sarah Pratt, who for decades had collected bits and stories about JS and women. Dr Wyl promised a second volume in 1887 exposing BY and the temple rituals, but evidently a Destroying Angel got to him first.

Posted by: spwdone ( )
Date: February 14, 2013 08:47PM

In my opinion and experience, all organized religion is a scam.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: February 14, 2013 09:57PM

The Bhaghwan Shree Rajneesh was a piece of work.

I had a boyfriend who thought that wacko was the end all of end all. I wouldn't let the guy wear red when he was around me.

He was in med. school. No dummy. Just wanted an intense spiritual life. He thought the Bhaghwan had the answers.

Well, that is until Bhaghwan and his side kick Sheila decided to do a little bio terrorism at the local salad bar. They weren't getting their way around town, so decided to scare the hell out of some people.

Mr. B and Sheila got deported,all their red clad followers dispersed, and life went back to normal.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.