Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cali Sally ( )
Date: February 15, 2013 12:12PM

Like the discussions about City Creek Mall, I cannot imagine that the continuation of building temples, which must cost fortunes to build and maintain, are actually cost effective in the terms of people staying "true to the faith" by paying tithing and growing their righteous family numbers. Even if the leadership just want to keep the members living near temples actively engaged in busy work to keep them from thinking, is it working? Are there any numbers that can be accessed?

I've also heard that temples are being built to secure prime real estate for LDS, Inc. since churches do not have to pay taxes. Any thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dallin A. Chokes ( )
Date: February 15, 2013 12:20PM

Of course they do, but I don't know how many of them are revealed to the regular membership.

I've heard "declining numbers" wielded as a guilt club to beat us into repentance and to increase our temple attendance (with, of course, the added benefit of having to be a full-tithe payer to attend).

Because the guilting has turned into so much white noise, I don't remember if they actually STATE the numbers to us or not...I'll start paying more attention.

It is truly the gospel of numbers.

Posted by: karriew ( )
Date: February 15, 2013 01:01PM

Oh,, you bet they do. My father was a bishop. I served as his unofficial secretary, since he was illiterate, not stupid.

Monthly (back then), the stake president would send statistical reports to the bishops. It contained items like what ward issued the most recommends, marriages, endowments, baptisms. All the functions in the temple were broke down by stake and ward within a stake.

The stake president and or his designee would have little phone chats that started with "why is the Arden-Arcade ward doing better than your ward with regards to 'temple work'. They (fill in the blank of TSCC leadership roles) was always stressing that 100 percent of the membership should be temple worthy.

What a crock.

Posted by: Cali Sally ( )
Date: February 15, 2013 01:04PM

Thanks Dallin. I was kind of hoping that someone who is still on the inside of LDS, Inc. (maybe at COB) might shed some light if they are lurking here.

I remember the very last day I darkened the door of our family ward and they had a "special" meeting for all adult members after the regular meetings had finished. I didn't want to stay because I thought it would be something boring or horrible but the family thought it must be something enlightening or fun. Turned out to be a 30-45 minute railing on how not enough people were attending the temple and how bad we all were. Nothing like a little positive reinforcement to motivate people !! It's pretty obvious that the numbers pointed to our ward not sending their fair share of warm bodies to the temple and the higher leadership were coming down on the local leaders so they had to come down on the members. Nothing like passing the buck.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.