Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: citizen not logged in ( )
Date: February 23, 2013 09:25AM

In defiance of the best science and academic consensus of our day?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: February 23, 2013 09:49AM

The Christian fairy tale courses at BYU might even transfer to other universities. Mormon-specific fairy tales almost certainly will not transfer.

BTW, there are many dozens of accrediting agencies that universities deal with. For example, the American Dietetic Association accredits the registered dietician program at BYU. They couldn't care less about a BoM course. Asking whether a university is accredited is an almost meaningless question. You need to ask by whom, and for what.

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: February 23, 2013 09:53AM

Doesn't Notre Dame do the same thing???

Though there is -some- historicity to the Bible/Torah, when you take the mystical parts out of it I guess.

Posted by: sistersalamander ( )
Date: February 23, 2013 09:54AM

The US Dept. of Education does not accredit institutions; that's done by private agencies.

http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/

The accrediting agency creates the standards, in collaboration with the government.

http://www2.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/accreditation_pg2.html

Apparently, private religious colleges and universities can teach any doctrines they wish because they are "private" institutions. (Of course, they still get some government money and students still get government financial aid to go there. Go figure).

As to the larger issues of quality of education and academic freedom, BYU has repeatedly been in trouble and has sometimes come close to failing the standards and losing accreditation.

BYU is currently accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities.

It would be interesting to see if there are any Morg ties to that commission.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: February 23, 2013 10:07AM

BYU has often been on the edge of losing accreditation. Steve Benson has a wall of text somewhere detailing it.

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: February 23, 2013 11:40AM

i agree with the original post.

i think that discrimination against gays should be another reason.

i think that discrimination against exmormons is another reason.

i also think that because the required religion classes are ENTIRELY devotional and without academic rigor, they shouldn't be applied to an accredited degree.

Posted by: Lostmypassword ( )
Date: February 23, 2013 01:59PM

I don't think the accreditation process evaluates an institution in anything other than the specific area of accreditation. If the institution is being examined in an area such as an engineering program the fact that the school is run by homophobic racist religious whack jobs is really relevant to the process. In other words, I don't think there is a 'nice guy' check box on the list.

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: February 23, 2013 03:26PM

i'm sure you're right.

i do think that i have a point about about giving college credits for religious classes that are purely devotional. there is a way to have academic rigor in religious studies, but it certainly does not happen at byu. i took many hours of required religious courses at byu, and was never taught a single true thing about mormon history, BOM, or the bible. it was simply lie after lie. i learned more reading a single chapter of Quinn's Early Mormonism, and the Magic World View, than i did from all my byu religion classes combined.

Posted by: presbyterian ( )
Date: February 23, 2013 12:46PM

This prompted me to recheck the accreditation of my sons' colleges, and sure enough they are WASC accredited.

http://www.wascsenior.org/

WASC is the gold standard of accreditation, at least in the west. (Isn't Utah in the west?). Any graduate program would accept a student who went to a WASC college.

Posted by: Westy ( )
Date: February 23, 2013 02:19PM

BYU-Hawaii is accredited by WASC, and the University of Utah is not. So that would seem to indicate that Utah is not in the geographic region accredited by WASC.

Posted by: sam ( )
Date: February 23, 2013 04:38PM

Usually a university is accredited by a regional organization. Then, different Colleges (law, business, education, etc.) are accredited by their specific accreditation organization

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.