Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: eternal1 ( )
Date: August 24, 2014 08:19PM

Wonder how many TBMs will use this study to validate their belief system.

From the article:

"Women who have several sexual partners before getting married have less happy marriages - but men do no harm by playing the field,a study has found."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2733220/Women-don-t-sleep-wedding-happier-marriages-men-play-field-without-worry-study-finds.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: acerbic ( )
Date: August 24, 2014 08:33PM

Perhaps because they don't have a basis of comparison for the sex in the marriage. ;)

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: August 24, 2014 08:39PM

I call bull shit. I bet a man set up that survey.

Posted by: neverevermo ( )
Date: August 24, 2014 08:55PM

+1

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: August 24, 2014 08:40PM

My own anecdotal evidence would suggest otherwise.

Posted by: eternal1 ( )
Date: August 24, 2014 08:47PM

"The researchers said those who had more partners perhaps find it difficult to commit to their spouse because they were aware of the alternatives.

They added that more experiences of breaking up can give people a 'more jaundiced view of love' which could affect future relationships."

I don't know that I believe their conclusions, but, I can imagine many that would use this to justify telling women not to have pre-marital sex, since all that "experience" would make them less desirable. (licked-cupcake)

It's interesting that the same didn't apply to men. Must be an extra special priesthood thing. lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2014 08:48PM by eternal1.

Posted by: Arwen ( )
Date: August 24, 2014 10:15PM

I've never understood how it applies to one gender and not the other. Kinda makes me want to barf.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: August 24, 2014 10:33PM

layla Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've never understood how it applies to one gender
> and not the other. Kinda makes me want to barf.

Me too..... all these studies findings seem a little too biased

against women's sexuality.

Let's have a group barf.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: August 25, 2014 01:07AM

Because the study was about women. Men would be a different study.

Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: August 24, 2014 10:56PM

I noticed this survey was in the UK.

I watch a lot of British crime stories/series.

There are marriages depicted where both spouses are miserable but refuse to divorce and move on. They stay and abuse each other verbally and psychologically.
The British man depicted is very affronted if his unloved spouse seeks comfort outside the marriage, even when he is stepping out on her and belittling her and keeping very close tabs on the money.
This is shown in Midsomer Murders, Frost, etc. I'm not sure if it's a realistic or idealistic depiction of UK inner social life.

But if true, there is a great bias against women having a say about what they like or want.

I know from talking with military spouses, that in the 70s a married woman could not have the electric turned on at her newly rented flat UNLESS HER HUSBAND signed the paperwork. My friend went outside, signed her husbands name in full view of the clerk, came back in and got her electric turned on.

Perhaps the survey was skewed to reflect the preferred view in it's country of origin.

Think of what a survey of this kind would show in Prozac run Utah.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: August 24, 2014 10:57PM

OK, what's several? And how involved were they? We've all known guys and girls who "had to have it" and marriage didn't solve the problem. And we all know "players" who finally found the perfect mate.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: August 24, 2014 11:00PM

seem a little sketch.

They put a lot of emphasis on religion and marriage, so I'm thinking the "sleeping around" bit might kinda sorta involve a hidden agenda.

http://familyinequality.wordpress.com/2011/06/06/distorting-data-on-divorce-at-the-national-marriage-project/

http://www.regnerusfallout.org/who-was-involved

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W._Bradford_Wilcox

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2014 11:14PM by Beth.

Posted by: Quoth the Raven Nevermo ( )
Date: August 24, 2014 11:01PM

Mansplaining why women should suppress their sexuality.

Yes, women only marry for sex, and if they have memories of having sex with other men, women won't be able to control themselves when the going gets rough and they will hunt down sexual partners like the ravening beasts they are.

Pure BS.

Posted by: ok ( )
Date: August 24, 2014 11:49PM

This study is BS.....If I have to take this seriously, I will only get sick, then I would have to take some Prozac...

What ever happen to shop around and pick the best?
Is this only apply to men???

That's it I'm calling for sexual equality!!!

Posted by: canadianwoman ( )
Date: August 25, 2014 12:18AM

By the time I was finishing high school each of my older sisters was already done being divorced twice.

My religious and traditional father told me to try it before I buy it.

I don't consider sleeping with three different individuals, each of whom I was in a long term relationship with to be sleeping around. I consider that fairly normal nowadays.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: August 25, 2014 12:39AM

I don't know about happy/unhappy marriages, but I think women with an affectionate nature have happier husbands.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: August 25, 2014 01:02AM

forestpal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't know about happy/unhappy marriages, but I
> think women with an affectionate nature have
> happier husbands.

And very much vice versa, too!!!

:) :) :)

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: August 25, 2014 12:44AM

No doubt they have happier mirages.

Posted by: schlock ( )
Date: August 25, 2014 03:54PM

Good one Don! LOL!

I would argue that women who've had a few different sexual partners in their lives:
· know what they want in sex
· enjoy sex
· are more relaxed about sex
· don't have unrealistic expectations about sex
· have less sexual hang-ups regarding sex

I'll take the wanton vixen over the withering virgin any day of the week. A lot more fun, and a lot less pressure.

Oh, and since we're throwing 'studies' out there, here's something to ponder: http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/features/could-casual-sex-make-us-happier-9569054.html

Figures often beguile me, particularly when I have the arranging of them myself; in which case the remark attributed to Disraeli would often apply with justice and force: "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics."

~ Mark Twain

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2014 03:54PM by schlock.

Posted by: Woman ( )
Date: August 25, 2014 12:54AM

This actually could be true, but not because having had fewer partners *causes* the marriage to be happier. It may be that people who have a string of failed relationships in their past before marriage have poorer relationship skills and when they finally do marry, they choose the wrong kind of person, don't communicate well, don't know how to resolve conflicts in a healthy way, etc.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 25, 2014 02:09AM

I wish people would put Love First in their lives.

I know, it's Old Fashioned.

I think some people, men/women, treat the possibility of divorce like a loaded gun under their pillow.

when women's hormones are off-balance (ask me, I KNOW!), often there's Hell to Pay. Then, there's the lies / greed that some will unleash.

Don't bother denying them, I was there, Front & Center.

Posted by: The Invisible Green Potato ( )
Date: August 25, 2014 07:44AM

Does anyone know where the headline figures of 53%, 42% and 22% come from? I can't find those figures in the press release or the reports on nationalmarriageproject.org.

Posted by: ladell ( )
Date: August 25, 2014 09:02AM

Maybe women with more sexual partners are more desirable partners than the ones who didn't, and they just don't have to put up with any crap at home, and feel more free to leave unfulfilling marriages.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.