Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sharapata ( )
Date: August 26, 2014 01:37PM

http://midsingles.wordpress.com/midsingles-magnet-ward-outline/

I'd never heard of this type of ward before, but apparently there are several of them at the bottom of the link, but strangely NONE in Utah or Idaho.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Already Gone ( )
Date: August 26, 2014 01:54PM

There is one in Bountiful, actually. These wards are depressing. There are like 10 women for every man, and you know exactly why 90% of the men are single. So socially awkward. You get women ranting about ex's and a whole lot of baggage.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 26, 2014 01:56PM

Brings the question:

Do men leave TSCC in greater numbers than women?

why is that????????????????????

Posted by: somnambulist ( )
Date: August 26, 2014 02:00PM

in my family mostly just the men have left (1 woman out of 7 has left, 5 men out of 7), so DW says it is a man thing. but when I look at this site it is obvious that a whole lot of women leave and that it is probalby like anything else, about 50/50.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: August 26, 2014 02:02PM

Lots of women leave. They don't miss them as much since they can't do any of the PH busy work.

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: August 26, 2014 04:55PM

I suspect just as many women leave as men. However, I think women are more "faithful" in attending church than men. Hence the high ratio of women to men.

Just my opinion. YMMV

Posted by: wastedtime ( )
Date: August 26, 2014 02:40PM

I tried to read that, but then my head started hurting

Posted by: crathes ( )
Date: August 26, 2014 05:17PM

Ugh!! This is what happens when ones relationship is with a business (ie the mormon church) instead of with God. It's no wonder many 30+ go inactive. They ARE kicked to the side of the road and the church has nothing to offer.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: August 26, 2014 05:19PM

If there are 10 to 1, women to men, it would seem like polygamy, again, might be the answer. Primary dating. Do they at least play more fun games or triple date?

How sad in the moron church there isn't a place for a single, well adjusted adult, with better things to do with their time and energy than sit around and wait for someone to tell them what to do.

Trade scripture chase to times-a-wasting; let's plant a garden, read a REAL book or explore nature or something impossible, besides the need for all this.

Singles events (and wards) may be alright if there is something or someone ("single") there you might be interested in or attracted to... but that's taking quite a big gamble.

I went to one singles event as an adult [after much inactivity] (laughing). It reaffirmed to me I didn't want to find a Mormon mate/ gal. I was pretty sure anyway. LDS singles is for the birds (whatever exactly that means).

Singles factories? Singles graveyards. Sink or swim. Birds fly free.

M@t

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: August 26, 2014 05:22PM

I might add: magnets attract;
Mormonism repels, pushes away!

Posted by: Mickey ( )
Date: September 13, 2017 03:51AM

I had a great experience in the Scottsdale ward. Couple of great hikes and camp outs. I had to move for work. I wish there was such a ward in Chicago. Not sure what all the groaning is about.

Posted by: Visitors Welcome ( )
Date: September 13, 2017 04:26AM

You were obviously enjoying the activities. But the underlying idea of many such wards is to hook up the non-marriageable stuff with other losers and marry them off so they can pop out babies. And a lot of the participants are eager to find a mate too. So they have different expectations from you.

Living in Madrid with my parents as a gay teenager, I joined a local gay hiking group because it was a great way to spend weekends hiking in beautiful places that I didn't dare to go to on my own, and as a foreigner it's nice to be with people you already have something in common with. I had a blast, but a lot of the other guys were hoping to find their "media naranja" or "principe azul" and then obviously the blue-eyed, blond-haired kid from -gasp- Venice stood out. I was looking for a boyfriend too, but wanted to see the Ermita in the Cañón del Río Lobos first.

Just my analogy. Perhaps your singles ward was more down-to-earth than some of the others.

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: September 13, 2017 07:18AM

This is the logical result of TSCC's overwhelming emphasis on marriage and children. There is no place for the adult over 30 who is single by choice or circumstance. Adult singles have no role in TSCC no matter how talented, spiritual, or willing to help.

I miss Deenie and her funny stories about being the "dreaded single adult".

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: September 13, 2017 10:06AM

Here's to Deenie the Dreaded Single Adult! I miss her!

There was an older singles ward in Monument Park, but it was eradicated about 20 years ago, because of too much promiscuity. I never went to it, but I heard a lot of stories. Since then, there has been a moratorium on older single LDS wards in SLC.

Older single people are not supposed to exist. While they are temporarily spouse-less, they can sit on the back row in their home wards, alone. Everyone else sits with their family. They are allowed to go on "service missions." For example, a widow in our ward went on a mission to be the housekeeper for a wealthy couple in our ward who were the mission presidents. An single man in our ward went on several missions, where he did construction work on temples. Not as high prestige as mission presidents or couples missionaries.

I think the reason there are more men than women in the Mormon singles, is that the men don't stay single very long (5 months average), and most of the women stay single forever. So, there's a huge backlog of women, waiting to be siphoned out. Wealthy widows with money and houses were the first to be married off. (Unfortunately, most of these ended in divorce, with the women losing their houses--I'm not kidding!)

A lot of the men were single because they had been "incarcerated" for several years. The State would allow prisoners to attend the LDS dances--let them out on some sort of pass. Some men were gay, and enjoyed the socializing, and were really good friends to everyone. Some were "confirmed singles", and I was in that group. I was afraid to say that I was never getting married again.

I was forced to be co-chairman of the regional singles in SLC, as one of my church callings. After 4 years, I quit, telling the GA in charge, to his face, that "It isn't God's work." I saw too many predators after people's money, or sex, or both. We knew who the polygamists were, and they would keep showing up at the dances, looking for more wives--no matter how many times they were kicked out. Part of our job was to monitor the classrooms and parking lot, and break up the sex that was going on there. I refused to do that!

I wasn't really a leader. Even my co-chairman, who was a priesthood holder, wasn't a leader. We answered to the higher-up married priesthood leader. We wanted to involve the singles in something worthwhile and uplifting, such as volunteer work, community projects, and joining in with other church's projects. Not. We wanted outdoor activities like hiking, bicycling, skiing, snow shoeing, picnics, but there was "too much liability." The married priesthood holder said no to cultural activities, because of the expense. My co-hairman and I did some of these things privately, and also had parties of our own, and the emphasis was on having a good time, good food, entertainment, games, music, and not on just dancing and hooking up (and the failure to hook up). People of all ages showed up.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 13, 2017 10:15AM

So you are saying that the odds are good but the goods are odd ?

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: September 13, 2017 11:35AM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So you are saying that the odds are good but the
> goods are odd ?

:D

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.