Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: October 13, 2010 11:33AM

Now that we know 10 places NOT to live if you are an exmo, where would be 10 great places to raise family away from the Mormon influence? And why?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: October 13, 2010 11:36AM

The Twin Cities is a great place to raise a family. Good neighborhoods, schools and jobs. It's the way Mormons think Utah is. I'd move back there if I could.

Posted by: dr5 ( )
Date: October 13, 2010 11:44AM

Canada. Great schools, equality for females and gays, strong anti-hate laws, and beautiful scenery.

Posted by: Ex Mish ( )
Date: October 13, 2010 10:18PM

Canada?

Right, ridiculous "food" (poutine), even more ridiculous clothing (toques and plaid jackets), winter 11 months out of the year, barely disguised contempt for the people of the First Nations, and the most ridiculous accents of French and English anywhere on the planet.

Canada, where Tommy Monson was Mission Pres.

Canada, where there is "gay marriage" but where polygamy is de facto legal as well.

http://www.examiner.com/religion-politics-in-national/is-polygamy-the-next-challenge-to-traditional-marriage

If China (a real nation) ever invades the USA (another real nation), they will walk across Canada (an imaginary nation).

Canada is the dim witted third cousin you make sleep in the garage on family visits, not a place one voluntarily moves to, unless you are dodging the draft in the USA.

Posted by: Mon ( )
Date: October 13, 2010 10:47PM

Posted by: mick ( )
Date: October 13, 2010 11:36PM

Ex Mish said that's where Tommy Monson, or as I like to call him Mr. Munson (Kingpin) was a missionary. In fact I used to be friends with two brothers who's grand-daddy actually was converted by him.

But most of Canada has a low number of mormons. When I grew up near TO and in my High School pop.500, the only mormons were me, my brothers and maybe a handful of other people. So maybe 2% at the most, and the rest non-mormons. But if you happen to live in say Cardston AB, the roll would be reversed. But that's only one community I could think of like that. Where I live now in AB I've never met one mormon, and never seen one missionary.

And as far as poutine eating and toque wearing, with bad accents; not all of us live in Quebec!

Chinas not going to invaded the US. No they're just going to call in the massive debt the US owes them (Last count app. $867 Billion). Which will make the downfall of Lehmans Brother look like a tea-party.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: October 14, 2010 05:02PM

Ex Mish Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Canada?
>
> Right, ridiculous "food" (poutine), even more
> ridiculous clothing (toques and plaid jackets),
> winter 11 months out of the year, barely disguised
> contempt for the people of the First Nations, and
> the most ridiculous accents of French and English
> anywhere on the planet.
>
> Canada, where Tommy Monson was Mission Pres.
>
> Canada, where there is "gay marriage" but where
> polygamy is de facto legal as well.
>
> http://www.examiner.com/religion-politics-in-natio
> nal/is-polygamy-the-next-challenge-to-traditional-
> marriage
>
> If China (a real nation) ever invades the USA
> (another real nation), they will walk across
> Canada (an imaginary nation).
>
> Canada is the dim witted third cousin you make
> sleep in the garage on family visits, not a place
> one voluntarily moves to, unless you are dodging
> the draft in the USA.

Has anyone ever pointed out that it is people like YOU who make other people say: "Sometimes Americans can be such arseholes?"

And make other Americans say: "Why don't you just please shut the fuck up? You are such an embarrassment."

Posted by: Ms. ( )
Date: October 14, 2010 05:20PM

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 13, 2010 12:06PM

Anywhere that it is legal for gays to marry--

Posted by: PtLoma ( )
Date: October 13, 2010 03:21PM

Rhode Island. Lowest % of LDS members of any of the fifty states. This is the place!

Posted by: Fuggetabouddit ( )
Date: October 13, 2010 10:31PM

Rhode Island. Of course. The most mafia dominated state in the Union.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/us-mob-state-remains-home-of-corruption-cleaning-up-rhode-island-goes-beyond-destroying-mafia-1466706.html

You've never even been to Rhode Island, have you?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2010 01:54PM by Susan I/S.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: October 13, 2010 03:46PM

Mormons.

Probably because of our proximity to Canada. It rubs off a little.

Posted by: BestBBQ ( )
Date: October 13, 2010 04:59PM

Mpls/St. Paul; Madison, WI; and Lawrence, KS come to mind. Lawrence used to jokingly be called The People's Republic of Lawrence. I'd move there in a heartbeat if I could.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: October 13, 2010 05:44PM

India, Thailand.

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: October 13, 2010 05:52PM

Posted by: neverevermo ( )
Date: October 13, 2010 07:13PM

anywhere outside of utah and the jello belt--you know, where the rest of the world lives.

Posted by: brigantia ( )
Date: October 13, 2010 07:18PM

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: October 14, 2010 05:04PM

brigantia Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Oh, yes!

Mid Wales, in particular.

And anywhere where Ex Mish doesn't live...

Posted by: Athena ( )
Date: October 13, 2010 10:53PM

I have lived in Rhode Island. Don't go there. Horrible politics and awful people, plus one of the highest tax burdens in America. And don't even get me started on the schools.

New England can be very puritanical in places. There's a very "keep to yourself and mind your own business" attitude. It's good if you don't want to be bothered by intrusive neighbors, but not so good for making friends.

The Midwest has Bible-belt pockets that can be pretty oppressive and intolerant. And armed to the teeth.

Having never lived in the South, I can't describe life there.

I love Oregon. Couldn't pry me away.

Posted by: The exmo formerly known as Br. Vreeland ( )
Date: October 13, 2010 11:06PM

There is a "mind your own business" attitude here that is very entrenched. I needed it badly after leaving Utah. It's quiet, beautiful and far away from the Morridor. The winters are hard but there's a downside to wherever you end up.

Posted by: angsty ( )
Date: October 13, 2010 10:59PM

Posted by: elcharanguista ( )
Date: October 14, 2010 01:22AM

If all you want to do is escape any kind of mormon influence, you can basically live anywhere east of Colorado. In basically every state west of Colorado you can find mormon dominated cities and towns. East of Colorado you will find absolutely zero mormon dominated cities or towns and in most cities you'd really have to try hard to even run into a mormon. Mormon influence east of Colorado is non-existent. Really wish I was back in my home-state for that very reason.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: October 14, 2010 02:08AM

Berkeley, of course. The library at the University of California has an admirable collection of anti-Mormon literature, including masters theses on Mormon minutia (none supporting). I loved it.

Also, the missionaries here are so depressed, you just have to minister to them, you know, tell them there are groups of returned ex-Mormon missionaries, gay Mormons, and loving people who will accept them as they are. I always feel so sorry for them.

Posted by: adamisfree2006 ( )
Date: October 14, 2010 09:27AM

Posted by: thedrive ( )
Date: October 14, 2010 10:42AM

Even the members in Ann Arbor are pretty liberal. I remember some EQ lessons where the instructor totally tore apart some little piece of church doctrine by using logic and history and then told us to go home and pray about it. His class was well attended and many lively discussions transpired.

The Ann Arbor area is beautiful and sometimes I wish that I lived there.

Posted by: mollymojito ( )
Date: October 14, 2010 04:12PM

I grew up there and it catered perfectly to my need to explore life beyond Mormonism.
It seems about half the kids in my group of youth have left the church, so cheers to AA!

Posted by: Athena ( )
Date: October 14, 2010 09:47PM

...it's in Southeast Michigan. The economy in that area has tanked completely. Unless you're employed by the University or the hospital, the job market is bleak.

Posted by: Jon ( )
Date: October 14, 2010 11:10AM

Any town or city in the Bible Belt here in the south. They have just as little use for TBM's as you do, and it is a safe area for a family. I'm partial to Charleston, SC.

Posted by: Major Bidamon ( )
Date: October 14, 2010 12:51PM

I live in the South too and I have to agree with you Jon. People are very religious here, BUT not "mormon" religious. They respect your space. The plurality of sects probably has something to do with that.

Posted by: Thithter Thim ( )
Date: October 14, 2010 01:50PM

Agreed...I've noticed the religion in peoples life is something personal and they practice because they find the good in it and it may very well make them a better person (generally speaking, this isn't the case for all, I realize). VS going to church as a mormon to keep up with 'the Jensen's' and hoping for some grand reward in the end.

Posted by: Thithter Thim ( )
Date: October 14, 2010 11:59AM

I'm happy and content in the largest city here in NC. Solely based on the fact that no one has ever asked me what religion I am (or not), nor does anyone here (that I've run into) care. I don't mind being around people who are religious, as long as they don't push it on me. So far, so good.

I like how it's in the south but with a nice mix of notherners. Just a personal perefernce there. I could live up north too (NY). I like NY lol

My small children (10 and under) have commented about how much better they like it here than Utah. That right there sealed the deal :) They have had conversations at school about church, I'm assuming my daughter was asked if she went to church and whatnot, because one day she told me someone asked her about Jesus and she said she didnt believe in Jesus (we since talked and I said you can believe he existed as a man, but what you probably meant is that you dont worship him/believe he was any special god-like person, etc.) But I was proud that she was able to speak her side and it didn't have an effect on her friendship. That wouldn't have happened in Utah, I'm sure

Posted by: transplant in texas ( )
Date: October 14, 2010 04:49PM

great place to grow up, very liberal, relaxed. Central Texas is also a great place to be, very chill, relaxed. there are many religious people both places but honestly, no one gave a fig when i was growing up about me being Mormon. there are more LDS here in central Texas but they are very well outnumbered and used to the liberalness around them. plus no snow...i would LOVE to visit Canada one day but I could never live there, too much snow!!

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: October 15, 2010 01:45AM

Escape to Park City, if it is at all possible. Most people there are from California and other states. The schools--and the PTA's--are much better, but I don't have the stats on parks per sq. mi, busses, and museums.

Anyplace that makes the parents happier and more relaxed has gotta be good for their kids, too.

If Momma ain't happy, ain't no one happy! >^..^<

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: October 15, 2010 02:09AM

Exmos can live anywhere. Just go to a place that has no more than 5% Mormons.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2010 02:10AM by honestone.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.