Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rt ( )
Date: April 13, 2013 05:18PM

After reading Becca's link to an article about alledged changes to the church's stance on the treatment of gays, I looked up the pamphlet that is hailed in that article as a crowning achievement of humanity:

Supportive Families, Healthy Children.Helping Latter-day Saint Families with Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender Children.

Funny thing, that brochure. It spells out many behaviours that are damaging to gay children and tells parents not to behave that way. So far, so good. The thing is, though, that you only need to make a list of these behaviours to get a pretty accurate picture of the Mormon church's attitude toward gays.

I guess it all comes down to the old "blame the members" cult tactic, as becomes evident from this quote:

"parents who send rejecting messages, who try to change their child’s identity, who prevent their gay and lesbian children from having LGBT friends, or who allow negative comments about LGBT people to be spoken in the home are more likely to have children who withdraw from the family circle and are at higher risk for serious health problems, such as suicide, substance abuse and HIV infection."

"Also, without family validation and support to buffer negative reactions from others, these children are more likely to lose their faith or leave the Church as many gay teenagers and adults have done."

It's all about the membership statistics and it's the parents fault if gay children leave the church. It couldn't possibly have anything to do with the church's own hateful rethoric and political action against gays...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jl ( )
Date: April 13, 2013 05:28PM

My question is:

Do Packer and Oaks dare to officially and openly endorse these views and practices, such as allowing LGBT children to have LGBT friends, sending accepting messages to LGBT children, etc.?

I think NOT.

If they do that, it would contradict all that they have said in public about the LGBT people. Or the Mormon God has changed his mind about how to treat the LGBT people?

Isn't it great that Mormons have God as their puppet and are entitled to have Him say whatever they want? Isn't it marvelous that God is like their pet dog, following their dictates any time they demand?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2013 05:38PM by jl.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.