Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: soutskeptic ( )
Date: October 13, 2010 11:58AM

You can listen live on the net Here: http://www.publicbroadcasting.net/kuer/news.newsmain?action=section&SECTION_ID=184

Salt Lake City, Utah (2010-10-12) When Boyd K. Packer addressed the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints at its General Conference earlier this month, he brought the Church back into the cross-hairs of the gay community. Packer is the Church's second most senior leader, and he spoke bluntly about his belief that same-sex attraction can be cured. Wednesday, we're asking whether his talk is representative of the Church's views. We'll also talk to a U researcher about what family acceptance means for gay youth.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: blindmag ( )
Date: October 13, 2010 12:02PM

Ah but theres now a huge problem.

The prophet said it so the church must agree to it or he's the only liveing prophet thats speaking as a man wile still alive. they can get rid of the old stuff but now thats modern revalation called into question as its so new. If thats not how the church thinks then it calls into question anything any prophet has said.

What is the use of current prophets if the folowers are just going to ignore them?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2010 12:03PM by blindmag.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: October 13, 2010 12:13PM

When the prophet speaks...
Sustain the General Authorities as Prophets, seers and revelators...
Whether it be by my own mouth, or the voice of my servants...

When bad PR causes a Prophet to retract his words, you can be sure that the Lord is not in him.

***It is time to stop fearing the authority of the LDS church.***

Posted by: Emma's Flaming Sword ( )
Date: October 13, 2010 01:11PM

Ten minutes in - very interesting!!!!

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: October 13, 2010 01:33PM

JUST WAS ON CNN ONLINE and there is a lot of press going to follow this one!! the LDS official spokesperson defended the changing of the written conference talk that BkkkP gave! ....they edited te words to give a more clear meaning to them!! sheesh!! same old M.O.!!! :(

Posted by: blindmag ( )
Date: October 13, 2010 02:06PM

I wonder if this is going to be what does it and finaly kills it. When the church just gets in to much trouble for it to deal with.

Posted by: Signs of Times ( )
Date: October 13, 2010 03:40PM

What I don't understand - is what happened to Freedom of Speech? Obviously the gay activist's can say anything they want without the church demanding them change specific words or phrases in their speeches.
Give me a break. They will whine and cry all day long until they get their way.

I can tell you something right now - it's not the LDS church - or any other church for that matter - who is upholding the FACT that marriage is between a man and a woman ... it's God. Remember Him?

From day 1 it was Adam and Eve. Period.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: October 13, 2010 04:13PM

I mean really, the church has demanded that gays change how they behave and even engaged in electro shock therapy to change gays.

Wow, and all we are asking is TSCC stop preaching hate.

Posted by: KWSN ( )
Date: October 13, 2010 04:15PM

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: October 13, 2010 04:58PM

Signs of Times Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I can tell you something right now - it's not the
> LDS church - or any other church for that matter -
> who is upholding the FACT that marriage is between
> a man and a woman ... it's God. Remember Him?
>
> From day 1 it was Adam and Eve. Period.

God doesn't write the laws. "We the PEOPLE" do.

Show me the proof of Adam and Eve outside of the fairy tales of the Bible and then maybe I'll start listening to your position. Until then your argument has as much validity as arguing that there should be laws protecting unicorns and fairies.BTW look up Lilith.

Posted by: Puli ( )
Date: October 13, 2010 05:08PM

Presumably two MALE characters. Eve didn't come along until later - how much later, we don't really know. In the mean time, God had Adam were buddies in Eden, and Adam didn't know any difference because he hadn't yet eaten the blessed fruit. These two could have been doing all sorts of unmentionables before Eve came along, and continued after Eve when she took action that turned out to enlighten both Adam and Eve.

Posted by: Simone Stigmata ( )
Date: October 13, 2010 05:28PM

Didn't God take a part out of Adam's side and fashioned Eve out of it? It seems to me that Adam must have been hermaphrodite then.

And then the whole Lilith business complicates it even further. Gee it's almost like the biblical account is a fairy tale (sarcasm alert).

Posted by: Puli ( )
Date: October 13, 2010 05:52PM

How can we expect biblical literalists to discuss or understand anything about Lilith when she was included in the story line??

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: October 13, 2010 05:34PM

Adam and Eve were fictional characters. Even most religious people know they are simply symbols of early human beings.

Second, marriage is man-made. So any attempts to say same-gender unions are "unnatural" is stupid, since marriage itself is an entirely unnatural construct.

Third, you can use whatever idiotic scriptural reference you like, but that won't change the fact that you're just a bigot, and you are hiding behind god to justify your bigotry.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: October 13, 2010 05:59PM

Yes SOT, you are right!!

but then, sadly, in their efforts to keep all God's commands, Adam and Eve started all the incest and genetic inbreeding, with Adam and Eve breeding with their own kids, and the kids breeding with each other...

It finally caught up to them, and they started having mutant GAY kids, and hermaphrodites too.

Now we're stuck with them. Why did God do this to us, with his Adam and Eve BS! It's HIS fault, giving us all these "deviants" with HIS failed breeding program...

fundie cog dis, SOT...

Posted by: Way Out ( )
Date: October 13, 2010 06:04PM

God? Remember Him? Oh yeah, Mr./Ms. "Signs of Times", He and I go on long walks together and talk about all kinds of things. It is so nice to be one of the few that actually KNOW God FOR REAL! He's my special friend. I'm so glad that I'm chosen by Heavenly Father to have these experiences with him. It really upsets Him how everyone else who claims to know God are just using those claims to bolster their positions and power over others. So He sent me here to Exmormon.org to set things straight (no pun intended): God does not care what anyone does as long as they do not initiate force or commit fraud against anyone.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: October 13, 2010 06:15PM

Don't you mean, "From day 6 it was Adam and Eve!"?

Posted by: Good Luck ( )
Date: October 13, 2010 04:04PM

sign of time: it more than the marriagepart it his word's and his belief that same-sex attraction can be cured.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: October 13, 2010 04:07PM

Packer's solution on same sex attraction would be much like Hitler's solution on the Jews. Round them up, put them into camps, and kill them.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: October 13, 2010 04:11PM

I really don't care what or who you marry. As far as I'm concerned is marriage was invented by the church's to pressure the members to marry other members. That way you control the offspring. Marriage is all about the church controlling you and your children. Marry outside of your faith or choose to not marry at all and the church leadership has a conniption fit.

Date: October 13, 2010 04:16PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2010 04:17PM by MJ.

Posted by: Nealster ( )
Date: October 13, 2010 04:12PM

Rubicon Wrote:
> Packer's solution on same sex attraction would be
> much like Hitler's solution on the Jews. Round
> them up, put them into camps, and kill them.

Hitler did that with homosexuals too.

Date: October 13, 2010 04:18PM

Nealster Wrote:
> Rubicon Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Packer's solution on same sex attraction would
> be
> > much like Hitler's solution on the Jews. Round
> > them up, put them into camps, and kill them.
>
>
> Hitler did that with homosexuals too.

And just about anyone else the Nazis thought to be "immoral" according to Nazi standards.

Posted by: Anon ( )
Date: October 13, 2010 04:21PM

If these Mormon "prophets" were really, literally, talking to God, then these constant conflicts with science would never happen, or they would soon be resloved.

As it is, these conflicts (DNA, Homosexuality, etc.) always get worse--not better.

Something's clearly wrong. The church is always on the defensive with hundreds of issues. Mormonism and its "scholars" are always jumping through hoops and doing backbends trying to explain why the church's "ideal assertions" never match "scientific realities".

You can't name a single factual battle that the church has clearly won. The best they can do is try to keep the door cracked open.

Posted by: OnceMore ( )
Date: October 13, 2010 05:02PM

Elder Packer's god is wrong. Elder Packer's "sacred" texts are wrong in many ways, and contradictory in others. He has chosen a to highlight just one aspect of how wrong he is and how wrong the texts are.

It's a real problem when the figments of your imagination can not be mapped onto reality.

When you're wrong, you're wrong. Say you're wrong, and move on.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.