Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Benemeritense ( )
Date: April 23, 2013 11:53AM

That's what I've heard. It just pisses me off.

I was in a church-owned High School ("Benemérito de las Américas") and you got kicked out if you were an apostate. But I didn't think these kinds of things could happen in an university.

Tell me more :D I wan't to know.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Steven ( )
Date: April 23, 2013 12:01PM

As someone near and dear to this topic, I'll step in.

What it really comes down to, is if you don't do whatever the bishop wants you to, he can pull the ecclesiastical endorsement. At the end of the day, it is his opinion. I know a guy who almost lost his endorsement for not attending family home evenings in his singles ward (wtf right?).

I also have another friend who is apostate, but still goes to church so that is good enough for his bishop, he doesn't even pay tithing, and that is fine, but he has to attend every week.

The problem is if you mention that you don't believe, you have no idea what your bishop will do.

So now the question is, how long till you are safe from BYU? 90 days after the date your diploma is awarded. Once your diploma is awarded you are likely safe, but in the case of chad hardy and his mormon men calendar, they pulled it because he embaressed the church within that 90 day period. From what I understand, after the 90 days they can't pull it unless you were caught cheating/plagiarizing. I've heard this is to comply with some government standard.

So for those of us still stuck at BYU, you've got to keep your head down at least until 90 days after the date your diploma is awarded (I'm going by receipt in the mail personally). I probably won't do anything besides just stop attending at day 90, at least for a year afterwards anyways.

Posted by: notnewatthisanymore ( )
Date: April 23, 2013 12:18PM

Chad hardy was exed a month prior to graduation, so they revoked his degree since he was not in good standing at the time of his graduation. Common lore is that you are fine as soon as you get your degree in the mail.

Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: April 23, 2013 04:03PM

..don't students receive financial assistance from our government? In order to be accredited doesn't an academic institution have to abide by some sort of reasonable restrictions? It would seem to me that denying academic credit already earned would be something an accredited university would not be able to do. Were it so, any school could deny credit at any point, for any reason to a student who had already earned said credits. Can they really deny you a degree when all class/work requirments have been met?

Posted by: jl ( )
Date: April 23, 2013 12:19PM

Are we supposed to be surprised about this?

Isn't that how TSCC "rolls"?

Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: April 23, 2013 12:46PM

How much weight does a diploma have? Can't the school cancel the degree at any time making the piece of paper worthless?
Do employers look at the diploma or do they call the school?
It's like when you get a license. The issuing agency can revoke it, making it invalid.

Posted by: scooter ( )
Date: April 23, 2013 01:18PM

if it's bought and paid for, they can't take it away from you.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: April 23, 2013 12:48PM

If BYU did not let apostates graduate I would never hire one of their graduates.

I want the people who work for me to be able to think for themselves.

Posted by: Steven ( )
Date: April 23, 2013 12:51PM

What about those who went, thought, hide, got the degree? I'm seriously considering graduate school, how great would it be to not have BYU on my resume...

The graduation really comes down to the bishop, he can stop anyone at anytime for any reason.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2013 12:52PM by Steven.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: April 23, 2013 05:31PM

Can't you change wards before you see the bishop? Is there no way to see the SP and overrule?

Posted by: Hugh Janus ( )
Date: April 23, 2013 12:56PM

..hells bells, they won't even let partial tithe payers graduate. When I was 23, Wymount Terrace, married, living in the married housing...my wife and I, and one daughter were struggling to pay tuition, rent, untilies, etc. I had only paid maybe 500 in tithing for the year. At year end the bishop calls us up for an over the phone tithing settlement and says, "now brother Janus, I know that you and your dear wife both work part time...are you trying to tell me that you are only a partial tithe payer? Is this an honest tithe?...because I notice that you have only been coming to church have the time as well? Aren't you a senior? You know I have the ability to decline signing your form as a Bishop..." Long story short, and I had to pay him 2,000 dollars of our student loan money, apologize for poor attendence, and recommit to being a better person before he would sign my form - if NOT, I wouldn't have graduate from YBU. A degree I am now embarrassed of anyway.

Date: April 23, 2013 04:07PM

I don't recall having to "renew" my ecclesiastical endorsement every year or semester (thankfully since I attended Mormon church half-way through my first semester and couldn't bare it any longer). Do they now require this? I received an endorsement before attending and don't recall having to "renew" it.

Posted by: Hugh Janus ( )
Date: April 23, 2013 04:44PM

Yeah, that was back in the late 80's for us, and I do believe that some sort of form was signed every year. Not sure if it was the endorsement per se'. I remember the conversation and the warning that i needed to get my church attendance up. I mean, you can lose your endorsement for many reasons.

Date: April 24, 2013 02:04AM

to church after the first semester. We had a girl on our floor in the dorm who was a bugler for the ROTC and every Sunday morning she would walk up and down the hallway playing revelry as loud as she could in order to get us up for church (I think Relief Society was first back then). Anyway everyone thought it was rather cute..or almost everyone. I, the nevermo, made a sign that said something to the effect that Jesus didn't go yanking people out of bed (I was quite brazen actually). My Mormon church attendance dropped off after that semester and I never went back. I attended two full years and they never made me leave...

Posted by: adriana ( )
Date: April 24, 2013 04:55AM

I guess I am a member - I do not feel like one. Recently started smoking again and desided to google the rules. Only in Lds for about 6 months. To my horror I discovered lies on lies that the church tell you. I looked at a youtube secret camera and was more horrified of temple seremonies. I asked my husband as he is a member since he was a child - and to no serprise he could not give me any answers.I have not yet gone to temple as I am not a member for a year yet - I do not look forward to it and need some answers as I feel that I am misinformed. What do they do in seremonies? What is this about a plante Kolob as this is the first time I hear about it? I need answers as someone lied to me about what this church is all about?

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 23, 2013 02:17PM

Once you lose your ecclesiastical endorsement, your sojourn in the Mormon academic gulag is over.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: April 23, 2013 06:22PM

Ah yes, BYU. Where after years of working and studying and
paying tuition and eating mac and cheese you find that your
entire future depends on the whims of a garage-door installer
who has been told his random thoughts are inspiration from God.

Posted by: alphonso ( )
Date: April 24, 2013 04:17AM

When I was fresh out of HS and contemplating college I looked into BYU. The honor code stated the length your hair had to be. I was taken back by that and refused to go to BYU. I figured at 18-19 why did I need my college to tell me how long my hair was going to be and why sign a contract swearing to it. I didn't understand the invasivness of their rules.

Posted by: lucky ( )
Date: April 24, 2013 04:51AM

see charles larson's commentary on his personal experience with this, from the ex mormon conference a couple of years ago

sorry, I dont know the exact point when he talks about his BYu experience, but if you are interested in this topic, Charles says some very interesting things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLnDHlo2pmk&list=PL53452166BC760EAF

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.