Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nolongerin can't login ( )
Date: August 31, 2014 09:15AM

I laughed til I thought I'd pee my pants. Such a therapeutic show!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: al-iced ( )
Date: August 31, 2014 09:22AM

I cried because my family still believes all that BS.

Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: August 31, 2014 09:31AM

I would pay for my parents and siblings to go see the show but you know it was made by people who worship Satan.

Posted by: twistedsister ( )
Date: August 31, 2014 11:53AM

I saw it a few weeks ago. It was both sad and funny. As an exmo there were definitely some parts that hit home that brought up feelings of sadness and betrayal. Dh said it was cathartic.

I wonder what nevermos think; as an exmo I feel like there were a lot of inside jokes and insinuations that no one else would get.

Posted by: Fascinated in the Midwest ( )
Date: August 31, 2014 12:24PM

I'm a Nevermo. I visited the public open house at the Temple in Nauvoo which got me curious, which got me reading all I can find on Mormonism, which brought me here....where I've learned so much from so many posters.

I absolutely LOVED the BOM musical.

I still wonder, however, how many people leave the theatre thinking most of it isn't true/was made up - because it is so laughable. I wish someone would survey the audience as they leave after the final curtain!

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: August 31, 2014 02:10PM

"Just turn it off....CLICK"

Posted by: Claire Ferguson ( )
Date: August 31, 2014 03:54PM

I laughed and smiled all the way through, the first time I saw it, and cried practically all the way home. It brought up painful and angry emotions I had about the church that I thought were resolved. In particular it took me right back to my mission when I had that same innocent/naive outlook the elders in the show have. And it made me so angry that the church still does that to people. I have a number of close friends who are gay exmos and I can't bear what the church has done to them; and I know and love a few TBMs who I suspect may be gay and I dread to think the pain they may be in.

Anyway, I got carried away there, back to the musical..... it was good to get in touch with those emotions that had been buried.

The second time I saw it, it was even funnier and I agree - great therapy!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2014 01:27PM by Claire Ferguson.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 31, 2014 11:12PM

*envy*

Posted by: onendagus ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 12:27PM

Like all southpark stuff it has a message. I love the message. Mormons can't appreciate the message because they get offended so damn easy. Angry stage exmos don't like the message either.

Nevermos get the message and it resonates with them.

Posted by: shiningwaters ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 01:27PM

I am taking my boyfriend in a few weeks. He is a nevermo and doesn't know much about Mormons. Is there something I should show him or teach him so he understands the musical?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.