Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ness ( )
Date: May 16, 2013 01:03PM

Hey, I need some advice.
I am thinking about taking anti-depressents and this is a big step for me. I have always hated the idea of anti-depressants, I will explain why.

I knew I had depression since I was in 7th grade. I was really into the church, and I was told in class an all through out seminary that anti-depressants are bad. If you have depression, it's because you aren't living the gospel right. Well, this obviously hurt my self-esteem and made my depression worse. I got suicidal thoughts all through middle school, and some of high school, but I never sought help because I didn't want to admit that there was some thing wrong with me (even though there wasn't, I was a total "Molly Mormon.")
Reason number 2 I have bad feelings about anti-depressants is my little sister was snuck them in her juice by TBM parents in order to keep her "in line."

My depression has gotten better since high school (since I left the church, I may say). But there are some days that I feel like I can't take it, and I feel like I'm not myself like I used to be. I also have a 5 month old, and I feel like I'd be a better mom if I were not so depressed... but I am breastfeeding, so I'm scared of side effects to the baby and myself...

I'm also going to hopefully start councelling, which I haven't done before, even though I know I need it. I just can't talk to people, I just clam up and can't talk....

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: icedlatte ( )
Date: May 16, 2013 01:40PM

My experience with anti-depressants...

It took me a while after my 1st was born to admit I had post partum depression and seek help. I was at BYU and ashamed that if I went to the student health center, they would just tell me to go see my bishop. I was afraid that if I did go on medication, it would make me feel out of it or like a different person. None of my fears turned out to be true though and the Dr. at the health center put me on 50mg of Zoloft. That was over 7 years ago and I'm still on it. I've stayed on it through 3 more pregnancies and while breastfeeding (it is one of the safest to take while pregnant/breastfeeding).

Its a lower dosage, but I can tell a huge difference the 2-3 times I've tried to stop taking it (I thought if I was righteous enough I wouldn't need it). Its just easier to be optimistic when I'm taking it regularly. When I had a crappy day pre-meds I would just want to lay in my bed and cry. When I have a tough day now, its easier to say, "Well, today was crappy, tomorrow will probably be better, I can deal with this." I'm still myself, but its easier to deal with life.

Looking back, I realize that I've been dealing with depression and anxiety since I was a teenager and PPD just made it much worse.

Hope that helps!

Date: May 16, 2013 01:40PM

P.S. My baby is 6 months old, so we're right in the same boat :)

Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: May 20, 2013 02:36AM

Pretty much my exact experience.

Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: May 16, 2013 01:43PM

The first step is to talk to your personal doctor.

There are many factors to consider before deciding on a course of treatment that may or may not include taking anti-depressants.

Every person's situation is different and it's up to a trained medical professional to decide what's the best way to go.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: May 16, 2013 01:46PM

I took them after I had my daughter and they saved my life. I took them again not long ago and they helped as well but it was a different prescription. I took them long enough to get out of my funk (and out of bed!) but then I had to stop because they were making me feel like a zombie too much and I'll admit, a bit psychotic as well. I haven't had them in my system for awhile and I've been feeling pretty good.

But yes, after having a baby, I don't know what I would have done without them. They really saved my life during that period of time.

Good luck with whatever you decide though. It's a very personal decision that is never the same outcome for everyone.

Posted by: Mnemonic ( )
Date: May 16, 2013 01:48PM

First, I need to tell you that you should talk to your doctor before taking any medication or herbal supplement.

Since you are breastfeeding, your options will be limited. All pharmaceutical and most herbal supplements will pass through your breast milk to your baby.

One thing you can try, something that has helped me, is fish oil. You can take 1200mg twice a day. Make sure you get one that is tested to be mercury free since if there is any mercury in it, it will build up in your system and make you sick as well as be passed to your baby through your breast milk. Mercury is highly toxic to the brain and nervous system. Other than the mercury issue, fish oil should be safe to take while you are breastfeeding.

There are studies that show fish oil is helpful in treating mild to moderate depression.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/fish-oil-supplements/AN01399

Good luck to you. I hope this helps.

Posted by: Chickdeario ( )
Date: May 16, 2013 01:56PM

Agree with all of the above who encourage you to talk to your doctor, since you don't have a formal diagnosis. Your doc will likely do some blood work to check for thyroid issues prior to describing an anti-depressant. As others have said, you can safely take Zoloft while breastfeeding. Don't let what should be a glorious time in your life pass by without addressing the symptoms that you are experiencing! A brief word of advice. It takes up to 2 weeks to adjust to a new medication. During that time you might feel sleepy, so it's advisable that you have support during that adjustment period. If you feel like you're in a fog or have other side effects you aren't comfortable with, talk to your doc about adjusting the dosage before attempting to shift to another trial medication. Med shifts are often a roller coaster ride. I understand why you might feel apprehensive and a bit scared about using medication. Keep in mind that you have been conditioned to fear anti-depressants and find the courage to seek the medical advice that you need. You're going to be seeking medical advice on behalf of your child throughout your child's life. Let the journey begin with a well mother!

Date: May 16, 2013 02:29PM

Yes! Thats another thing, I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism right after my 1st was born. Those two things combined really made me feel horrible. Plus I kept getting frustrated that I was exercising and dieting, but gaining weight. Thyroid issues can be a total bitch.

Date: May 16, 2013 03:12PM

icedlatte Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes! Thats another thing, I was diagnosed with
> Hypothyroidism right after my 1st was born. Those
> two things combined really made me feel horrible.
> Plus I kept getting frustrated that I was
> exercising and dieting, but gaining weight.
> Thyroid issues can be a total bitch.

Glad to see that both you and Darkfem affirmed the possibility of a thyroid condition! Also heartened by the reassurance for ness, that she can continue to safely breastfeed while taking certain anti-depressants such as Zoloft. Anti-depressants aren't the magic bullet they're often touted to be, but it's certainly worth exploring and every mother deserves the support she needs to help her work toward an improved outlook. Now, if we could only spare her the sleep deprivation that accompanies mothering a new baby!

Posted by: fiona64 ( )
Date: May 16, 2013 03:56PM

icedlatte Wrote:
> Yes! Thats another thing, I was diagnosed with
> Hypothyroidism right after my 1st was born. Those
> two things combined really made me feel horrible.
> Plus I kept getting frustrated that I was
> exercising and dieting, but gaining weight.
> Thyroid issues can be a total bitch.

If that's the case, get your thyroid levels checked again before you do anything else. It may be time for an adjustment.

(I didn't see this until after I made my previous post.)

Posted by: pigsinzen ( )
Date: May 16, 2013 10:04PM

I've been diagnosed with combat related PTSD and hypothyroidism. I take medicine for both. When I'm feeling in a particular state of blue, is it depression from PTSD or my thyroid? It sucks. I do know that I'm more consistent with the anti-depressant that I am on. But take away my levothyroxine and I'll take my chances in front of a freight train.

Posted by: Darkfem ( )
Date: May 16, 2013 02:16PM

Lots of good advice here. Just to add something quickly-- make sure your doc checks your thyroid levels before you decide on any treatment course. Sometimes, an out of whack thyroid can cause serious depression. Good luck and best wishes.

Posted by: Gay Philosopher ( )
Date: May 16, 2013 02:35PM

Hi Ness,

First, educate yourself by watching this:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NOAgplgTxfc

Second, as someone who has used antidepressants on and off for generalized anxiety disorder, I think that I can give you some insight into what taking them is like: both the advantages and the disadvantages.

Let me start with what it's like. Whatever SSRI you're put on (Prozac, Zoloft, Lexapro, Viibryd, etc.), you're going to have a headache for the first three days, along with diarrhea. Within a week, this will subside. As you increase the dose, these symptoms could reappear, but to a lesser extent, and they'll subside.

Once you've reached an effective dose, you need to stay on it probably for four weeks--and possibly as long as eight--to realize the benefits. If you get lucky, your depression will left, gradually and imperceptibly, until you find yourself laughing for no particular reason. If the antidepressant works, the depression will simply dissipate, or go completely away.

But there will be problems. For example, you could have an allergic reaction along the way, such as hives, that could require you to switch to another antidepressant. Or one antidepressant might simply not work for you. You might have to cycle through many different ones, at different doses, to try to find one that works for you. And even when you do find one, the probability is pretty high, in my experience, that you'll experience side-effects.

The most commmon one is a reduction in libido and the likely inability to experience an orgasm. Not every antidepressant has this effect. (Viibryd is one example.) But most do. Another really terrible one is massive fat gain. Paxil is notorious in this regard. It doesn't matter how little you eat, and how much you exercise. Generally, with nearly all antidepressants, you're going to gain a LOT of fat, and you're going to hate it. Another nasty possibility is daytime sleepiness. How would you like to feel sleepy during the day much of the time, despite ingesting megadoses of caffeine? It could happen (but it doesn't happen for everyone, and some antidepressants are worse than others in this regard). And then there's the problem that in general, SSRI's alter the architecture of sleep, apparently inhibiting REM sleep.

A strange thing happened to me on Viibryd. Keep in mind that many people take 20 mg/day. I took 10 mg/day for a few months, experience daytime sleepiness, and decided to stop. A few weeks later, I tried again at 5 mg/day. I experienced the same problem with daytime sleepiness. Keep in mind that 5 mg/day is considered far less than an effective clinical dose. It should hardly be noticeable. But, for me, it was quite noticeable in its negative side-effects. I'd go to sleep, and then wake up four or--if I was lucky--five hours later, unable to go back to sleep. This surely isn't a good thing for one's body after months or years. And I awoke in a strange way. I would toss and turn, involuntarily. Read up on restless legs syndrome. That's how it felt.

If you can get through all of that, as long as you keep taking the antidepressant, it'll keep working, quite possibly for years. But at some point, for a not insignificant percentage of people, the antidepressant will stop working. Sometimes an increase in dose will fix the problem. Other times, switching to another antidepressant is needed.

When taking any antidepressant (or other psychotropic drug), it's important to keep in mind that you're dealing with tradeoffs. You want to rid yourself of depression, and an antidepressant might actually do that. But there's a price to be paid with regard to unwanted side-effects. I personally tried Viibryd because I was hoping for the best: no loss of libido (and that worked), no fat gain (and that worked), and no or greatly reduced anxiety (I'm not sure; see below). What I experienced was daytime sleepiness to the point where I wondered if something was seriously wrong with me, and then there was the nasty way of awakening that I just described.

A few weeks ago, I was taking not only 5 mg of Viibryd per day, but 0.5 mg of Klonopin per day to hopefully make it easier to stay asleep at night. That didn't work, but Klonopin definitely does work for alleviating anxiety. Anyway, I went far, far away---competely alone, in a beautiful, secluded area--on vacation.

When I arrived--I spent the entire day traveling--I was very stressed out and highly anxious. So much for Klonopin and Viibryd helping, I told myself. Within a few days, I noticed how stressful sleeping just for a few hours and then awakening uncomfortably really was. One week into my vacation, I decided to stop both Klonopin and Viibryd, to see what would happen.

It turned out that that was the best move that I've made in over a year. (Please keep in mind that this is just a personal anecdote, and not something that I'd necessarily recommend to others.) Within a few days, I had a positively *great* day: much "better than good" (ironically, what people say about antidepressants). I still experienced daytime sleepiness, and wondered how many weeks, or months, I'd have to wait to see if it really was being caused by the Viibryd. (The effects that a psychotropic drug has can last for a very long time after you stop taking the drug.)

Thus far, nearly four weeks have gone by since I stopped taking meds, and for the past few days, I've felt well: no real anxiety (actually, I feel sort of blissed out and positively happy :) ), optimistic, and focused. I feel like myself for the first time in a very long time. This wasn't the case last week, though.

When you stop taking an SSRI, bad things generally tend to happen to your mood, and you might even experience physiological effects such as dizziness that could last for weeks (close to two months!), and what people call "brain zaps." Because I'd been taking such a low dose of Viibryd, I didn't really experience dizziness or brain zaps, but I continued to experience daytime sleepiness and a severe crash in my mood. That's unusual, because generally, I don't experience depression. My problem is anxiety. However, I found myself not only depressed for a few days, but highly irritable and gloomy. Emotionally, I felt quite awful. I told myself that it was "only" the SSRI withdrawal--and it was. But for about three days, 2.5 weeks after I discontinued the Viibryd, I felt quite awful. It could take two months for all of these withdrawal effects to stop.

Here's the problem, though. If you have depression, take an antidepressant, and it alleviates the depression, if you stop taking the antidepressant--with all else equal--the depression will come back. And on top of that, you'll have put your body and emotions through lots of stress associated with the startup and discontinuation of the SSRI, which will make you wonder: "Was any of this even worth it?"

This is why it's so hard to make a decision about taking an antidepresasnt. Yes, there's a decent chance that it'll help with depression. For most people, though, it helps imperfectly, and involves tradeoffs.

It's true that depression is a neurochemical and metabolic (and possibibly even circuit-related) problem in the brain, but that does NOT mean that you have a faulty brain. What it does probably mean is far more complicated. You were born with a certain genome, and that gave you both advantages and vulnerabilities. During childhood, developmental events can set you on the wrong trajectory, causing depression (or other symptoms associated with genetic vulnerabilities) to appear. The longer that this goes on, the more difficult it is to change in later life. Also, external events and ongoing toxic situations can keep you in the depressive loop. So, it's possible that if you got out of a toxic situation, you might not need an antidepressant, and your depressioon would eventually go away. You'd always be vulnerable to experiencing depresssion again, but if the environment cooperated, and you weren't totally unlucky in your "genetic loading," you might be able to live a depression-free life.

However, most of us aren't that lucky. We can't easily get away from abusive people and stressful situations in our environment. And so, we compromise, and take an antidepressant, which is usually an imperfect solution.

Think of depression as a condition that's chronic for many people. Like diabetes, you can't (currently) cure it. You have to manage it, and an antidepressant is one tool for managing it. It's not a cure. It's not perfect. But it is one weapon in your armory, and it's better for us to have that weapon than no weapon at all. In other words, "better something than nothing."

Cognitive-behavioral therapy might help, but personally, I'm skeptical. I've tried it, without any positive results. Many people say the same thing. The underlying problem, in my opinion, isn't with negative thoughts, but negative emotions that cause negative thoughts. Forcing oneself to identify distorted thoughts and trying to consciously change them seems to be ineffective in changing the underlying negative emotions. Definitely try it, but don't feel discouraged if it doesn't work for you. People say that the combination of cognitive-behavioral therapy (or other psychotherapy) and an antidepressant has the best outcome.

You mentioned breastfeeding a baby. If you take an antidepressant, you'll definitely have to stop breastfeeding. The last thing that you would want to put into the body of a rapidly developing infant is an exogenous drug, especially a psychotropic. There's no telling what effect it might have, and there's simply no reason or excuse for exposing a child to an unnecessary drug. Because there are good alternatives to breastfeeding, though, this shouldn't be a show stopper in considering taking a drug.

I hope that some of what I've said in this message will help you. An antidepressant is just a tool. It's neither good nor bad. Depressioon is a terrible condition with complicated causes. It's no reflection on you as a person. Plenty of famous people have suffered terribly from depression: both saints and sinners. Some people have diabetes. You have depression. That's your own, unique, burden to bear, and hopefully one that you'll be able to recover from.

I believe that hormones can affect depression, so post-partum depression might possibly be at play. I recommend seeing a psychiatrist, explaining your concerns, mentioning whatever I've said in this message that concerns you, and then making an informed decision. Find a psychiatrist who will truly support you (i.e. listen to you and truthfully explain the benefits and risks of any psychotropic drug), and don't be afraid to see a bunch before you settle on one.

And remember: it's not your fault. Life has its ups and downs, and sometimes, we get incredibly unlucky for years at a time. Don't be afraid to try an SSRI. It could really help. Just educate yourself first, and get the support that you need.

Best Wishes,

Steve

Posted by: greekgod ( )
Date: May 17, 2013 06:21PM

What an awesome post.

Well played, Gay Philosopher :)

Date: May 17, 2013 06:46PM

You're not gay by any chance, are you, Greek God? :)

Steve

Posted by: greekgod ( )
Date: May 17, 2013 06:57PM

Hahaha!

Nope, sorry :D

Date: May 20, 2013 01:10AM

Hi,

To add just a little to my post, historically, I've been very much in favor of antidepressants. I wish that my friend, -----, were here. (-----? :) ) He could tell you that an SSRI worked to help him with OCD, whereas CBT was useless. He has a history of OCD in his family, and unfortunately appears to have been genetically loaded for it.

Today is the 28th day after I stopped taking Viibryd, and--after about 15 months of experimenting with that (damned) drug--I can honestly say that I feel normal again, far better than I ever felt while taking it. I never imagined that Viibryd was far more of a problemm than anxiety until now.

I'm still cautiously optimistic about SSRI's for a lot of people who are suffering terribly. I really do think that they help a lot of people. Unfortunately, the side-effects aren't minor, even if they are more or less innocuous (compared to neuroleptic drugs and tardive dyskenesia, which is permanent).

I wish that we had some way of biologically measuring (e.g. with a blood test) when an SSRI would provide greater benefit than just grinning and bearing it, or trying some other type of non-pharmacological approach. As things stand now, you just have to guess and take a leap of faith--or multiple leaps, if the first drug doesn't work, as it often doesn't.

I've never really had a great experience with any SSRI. There was always some kind of significant problem, either sooner or later: namely fat gain, daytime sleepiness, and the inability to have an orgasm. When I look back on it, my trials with Viibryd compellingly show that the bad far outweighed the good. I'm angry at myself for ever having gone down that route, but just greatly relieved that I'm medication-free today.

Also, while I didn't personally experience other side-effects, many people do, such as high blood pressure on drugs such as Effexor. And then there's the fact that if you drink alcohol while on an antidepressant--a no-no, even though just about everyone does it--it could send the concentration of the drug in your bloodstream soaring, amplifying the negative side-effects and causing other problems. And then there's the problem that if you're taking one drug, you have to worry about how that might affect any other meds that you're taking. Whenever we take a drug, we're experimenting on ourselves with very incomplete knowledge, and hoping for the best.

I wish that I were more resilient, but I'm not. We all have to play the hand that we've been dealt.

I'd also like to add some thoughts on "alternative" treatments. I believe that these are all placebos. If they seem to work, so much the better, but I really believe that they seem to work solely as the result of people's faith in them, rather than anything that they, themselves, do. It's exactly like prayer.

No one really has an understanding of how depression, anxiety, or any other mental disorder works. Drug manufacturers throw a bunch of darts at a dart board and hope that at least one hits the target. But until we truly understand the neural mechanisms behind any of these disorders, we're just taking wild stabs in the dark. That there aren't any promising drugs in the pipeline is also pretty depressing: http://psychnews.psychiatryonline.org/newsarticle.aspx?articleid=1032188

I never, ever thought that I'd find myself mildly anti-psychotropic drugs, but unless they're really needed--and I mean *really* needed--I sincerely think that it's best to avoid them. At the very least, please investigate them very thoroughly and know what you're getting yourself into.

Best,

Steve

Posted by: frogdogs ( )
Date: May 16, 2013 03:19PM

I was on antidepressants from age 18 to my late 20's.

After recovering from some severe withdrawal, and then spending over a decade doing personal reading and research on the topic, I concluded that our society is unfortunately locked in a cultural paradigm that is reinforced by monetary concerns: treating depression as a chemical imbalance is Big Business. I don't know when it's ever going to change.

Being alive and fully human isn't an illness. Pain and developing ways to cope or avoid it isn't abnormal. Suffering is real, and can be extreme at times given widely varying individual histories and circumstances. Short-term use of medication can be a useful jump start in the process of coping with this thing we call life, but I am sad that far too many seem trapped within the broken brain script.

Habits are hard to break, and emotional/mental habits are as tough as they come. Several members of my ex-mo family - as well as me - have found ACT (Acceptance and Commitment Therapy) model to be extremely useful, far moreso than drugs.

http://www.goodtherapy.org/Acceptance_Commitment_Therapy.html

Unfortunately, I have a close relative who has been on a very wide variety of antidepressants for nearly 30 continuous years. He's long since graduated to supplemental cocktails of atypical antipsychotics and antiseizure meds ("mood stabilizers"). His life is an apathetic, dysfunctional wreck that the drugs have done nothing to solve and have probably only exacerbated his tendency to seek ways to remain helpless.

Again, while I think short term "jump start" use of drugs for depression can be useful (mostly due to the placebo effect) the long term effects of psychiatric medication can be devastating. Prescribing pills is cheaper and faster - a 'band aid' attempt to fix an extremely complex part of living - than entering CBT or ACT therapy. It's one of our modern times' greatest crimes against humanity, IMHO: the medicalization and disease model of mental health.

Some recommended reading, for anyone who's interested in digging deeper:

http://www.amazon.com/Anatomy-Epidemic-Bullets-Psychiatric-Astonishing/dp/0307452425/ref=pd_sim_b_2

http://www.amazon.com/The-Emperors-New-Drugs-Antidepressant/dp/0465022006/ref=pd_sim_b_2

http://www.amazon.com/Blaming-Brain-Truth-Mental-Health/dp/0743237870/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1368731312&sr=8-1&keywords=Elliot+Valenstein

Finally, this is an incredibly fascinating, thought-provoking website I've been looking at for nearly 2 years that is dedicated to challenging and potentially changing the destructive paradigm we've been locked into for decades:

http://www.madinamerica.com/

My heart goes out to all who suffer. We are indeed many.

Date: May 16, 2013 04:01PM

To this excellent reading list, I would add the following:

How to Heal Depression: http://www.amazon.com/How-Heal-Depression-Harold-Bloomfield/dp/0931580390/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1368734351&sr=8-1&keywords=heal+depression+bloomfield (Focus is on natural, non-chemical methods, although anti-depressants are mentioned)

The Van Gogh Blues: http://www.amazon.com/Van-Gogh-Blues-Creative-Depression/dp/1577316045/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1368734400&sr=1-1&keywords=van+gogh+blues (explains why creative types have a tendency toward depression, viewing it as a search for meaning at the same time they're being told to be "more like everyone else")

Manufacturing Depression: http://www.amazon.com/Manufacturing-Depression-Secret-History-Disease/dp/1416569790/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1368734450&sr=1-1&keywords=manufacturing+depression (written by a psychologist, and talks very frankly about controlled studies -- including some in which he participated -- that resulted in Pharma being able to defraud patients about the efficacy of psychotropics, among other things)

Posted by: Anon-for-this ( )
Date: May 16, 2013 03:29PM

OK, first off I have to state that I am a man so I have never dealt with post partum issues. I can only speak from my experience with depression.

I was in a miserable marriage for 31 years and trying to be a morgbot for many of those years, on top of being in a miserable relationship I hated life. I tried several different anti-depressants over the years and for the last ten years I was on three different anti-depressants at the same time one of them being prozac. They helped but the thing that got me out of my marriage, out of the church and off all those meds was attempting to end it all and not having the will to pull the trigger.

I have not been on any meds of that type in over 5 years now and I feel fantastic. The safe things that I found that helped were Sam-e, vitamin B12 injections. Now, with that said I have no clue how either of those would effect your breast feeding so I can't advise you there. The one thing I know for fact is that many if not most doctors receive "perks" from the pharmaceutical companies for writing prescriptions. I have a good friend who used to sell for some and he told me all about exotic trip give aways, expensive golf trips, golf clubs, and many other things that the companies he worked for gave to the doctors who prescribed the most of their meds. Be very careful when talking to a doctor about going with a natural solution because they don't like you doing that and most will tell you it will not work.

I was diagnosed with diabetes a few years ago after being on a blood pressure med for a couple of years prior to that. I started taking the meds prescribed for the diabetes and my blood pressure went through the roof. Come to find out that the blood pressure med causes diabetes and the diabetes med increases blood pressure. If I had continued taking all the different meds prescribed by my doctors I would now be taking more than 7 different meds with additional side effects beginning to show. I cured my diabetes and blood pressure naturally with diet, natural suppliments, and exercise. Today I take no meds at all and I feel better than I have since I was 21.

I only tell you all this because if you are wanting to find natural solutions a medical doctor is normally not the best place to begin, but you do need to be aware of how natural suppliments can effect your breast feeding and any other meds you may be taking. Depression is a very real thing and many people will just tell you to buck up or be strong. Those people have never dealt with it and have no clue how debilitating it can be. With help it can be either cured or managed but most of the time you need the help of someone who first believes it is a very real and debilitating illness. Anyone who does not believe that is in no position to help you.

I wish you the best of luck because I know how depression feels and how hard it is to just get up in the morning when you are dealing with it.

Date: May 16, 2013 03:54PM

Things to know:

1) Talk with your doctor about all of the possible alternatives to medication.

2) Why? Because meds only help about 13 percent of patients. For the remainder, they are potentially even dangerous. Please read this article for some particulars. http://www.newsweek.com/2010/01/28/the-depressing-news-about-antidepressants.html

3) Pharma and docs have known for a long time that antidepressants don't work for the majority of patients. However, they kind of push the biochemical/"throw a pill at it" model because it is more cost-effective. Why? Because you can conduct four 15-minute med checks an hour ... and only see one patient for effective counseling during the same time.

4) Be aware that many side effects of antidepressants can be *permanent* (including weight gain, Parkinsonian tremors and even tardive dyskenisia). Again, this is well-known in the medical field but not often addressed to patients.

5) When (not if) your med stops working effectively, the dosage will be increased repeatedly ... or you will be given a different med ... and then the dosage will be increased immediately. There is NO test whatsoever to say whether a person's dopamine, norepinephrine or seratonin is out of balance; it's a pharmaceutical crap shoot.

6) Why I am I telling you this? Because I spent 20 years misdiagnosed with depression, 10 of it on meds that did indeed give me permanent side effects. I was finally labeled as having "treatment-resistant depression." Except, as it turns out, I didn't.

7) Get your thyroid tested. Yep, that's actually what my problem has been for 20 years: hypothyroidism. Your thyroid regulates a great many hormones and neurotransmitters, and hypothyroidism *frequently* presents as depression.

Yes, depression is real. But make sure you are fully educated about what it *really is* and what it is not. And be ready to fire your doctor if he or she won't listen. (I had to do that, too.)

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: May 16, 2013 04:58PM

I completely agree with weight gain being a permanent side effect of antidepressants, as it's something I've dealt with in the years since I was fully weaned off the antidepressant. The thing I've had the hardest thing with was losing the weight gained from that drug. I was also one of those where Paxil triggered suicidal thoughts for me, and while I did have depression before going on it, I was never suicidal.

I saw a psychiatrist who was one of those who bought into Big Pharma's idea of throwing drugs at the problem, as he was one of those with the 15 minute appointments at the longest.

My depression was mostly situational, as at the time, I was in an emotionally abusive marriage, as when I got out of that situation, my depression went away, and it hasn't returned in 11 years.

Date: May 16, 2013 05:07PM

adoylelb Wrote:
> I completely agree with weight gain being a
> permanent side effect of antidepressants, as it's
> something I've dealt with in the years since I was
> fully weaned off the antidepressant. The thing
> I've had the hardest thing with was losing the
> weight gained from that drug. I was also one of
> those where Paxil triggered suicidal thoughts for
> me, and while I did have depression before going
> on it, I was never suicidal.
>
> I saw a psychiatrist who was one of those who
> bought into Big Pharma's idea of throwing drugs at
> the problem, as he was one of those with the 15
> minute appointments at the longest.
>
> My depression was mostly situational, as at the
> time, I was in an emotionally abusive marriage, as
> when I got out of that situation, my depression
> went away, and it hasn't returned in 11 years.

Do you mind saying what method of weight loss you used?

Posted by: Deus Ex Machina ( )
Date: May 16, 2013 04:17PM

Hi Ness

I agree with all the advise to talk to your dr - especially because you are breastfeeding.

I'm currently on anti-depressants, and I've found them to be really helpful. I feel like my old self again. I care about things, about myself.

To me the anti-depressants have just given me that little bit of space between my thoughts and my emotions - I still feel, but now I have the space to be able to think logically and rationally about what I can or should do about situations which I'm struggling with.

I believe my depression to be situational. My life has recently been a train-wreck, however the crying, anxiety, and feelings of wanting it all to just go away weren't dissipating with time. It got to the stage for me where I had to participate in a team photo, and I realised that when I smiled for the photo it felt odd - I just hadn't smiled about anything for so long.

I was so hesitant about taking the pills, it took me a few days to fill the prescription. But I'm so glad I did. They took 5 weeks to kick in for me.

I didn't have the side affects that many people have described here. I actually lost weight - 10kg so far, and its still dropping, I've also noticed that I seem to be getting far more muscular while not having changed my exercise routine.

I sleep through the night, which is really REALLY a lifesaver. I have more energy during the day, so i can get things done that need to be done, both basic needs stuff like eating, cleaning, and higher level stuff like acheiving work.

the bad thing I experienced (and I read about this side affect so let my friends know about it) was that for the first few weeks of taking the meds I felt worse. I actually felt suicidal. Knowing that it could happen, and letting my friends know really helped. I just held on, and got them to hold on to me too. and it went away, and then I started to feel good again. Like myself. I'm taking fluoxetine 20mg per day (in america I think this is sold as prozac).

My dr recommended a 9mth course minimum as this would prevent likely relapse, and in that time I could rebuild my resilience.

Its not a cure, but it can give you breathing space to find a cure. Feeling miserable, and worthless all the time, is no way to live your life.

Posted by: ness ( )
Date: May 16, 2013 10:48PM

Thank you all for the advice. I will definetly get my thyroid tested first, as thyroid problems do run in my family.

Posted by: anon for this one too ( )
Date: May 16, 2013 10:57PM

Take this from someone who has had a LOT of experience in these issues. Anti-depression medication should be your last resort. It has terrible side effects and the drs are going to tell you that they are not addictive, that there are no real withdrawal effects if you taper your withdrawal and that you can go off of them when you want. It is NOT true. Go to a few forums and read about people trying to get off the drugs before you submit yourself to them. I went on them after a birth, and cannot, no matter how much I want get off of them. It's as bad as going through meth withdrawal I've read and I believe it because that is what I have experienced each time I try.

I would strongly suggest seeing a naturopathic doctor. There are highly effective ways to treat depression without the use of drugs. Supplements (Sam-e, 5htp, fish oil, choline, etc.) are a couple of the ones that can be used effectively. A naturopath can get you on the the right combo and dose. Start mixing a greens powder and orange juice in the morning and look at spirulina as well. Please look into alternative treatments first. I was a huge skeptic of all things alternative, but have found out through experiences with other issues with me and my children, that there are ways for the body to heal/correct itself that do not depend on a prescription. The downside may be that insurance won't cover the doctor visits, but it will be money very well spent.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: May 16, 2013 10:59PM

I love me some spirulina in the morning :)

Posted by: Cowardly lion ( )
Date: May 17, 2013 03:34PM

Postpartum depression is real. But I would talk to your dr. in re; to breast feeding. I take anti-depressants myself. And while I avoided them for years; they do help. The only thing is I try not to get dependant on them & I take as low a dose as necessry. But I do think they help.

Posted by: Kittymcc ( )
Date: May 17, 2013 06:29PM

Lots of great advice in this thread. I'm a recent mom too and the post partum hormonal shifts that occur are just awful. I experienced them at 3-5 days, six weeks, three months post partum, and a huge one at six months post partum and again at the year point when I weaned my first son. Unfortunately this is an area that many doctors don't understand and little research has been done. Hormones can truly mess with their mind. In the past I took anti-depressants off and on over the years and I was generally on such low doses that in hindsight I question thee efficacy and wonder if it was a placebo effect. After a stint in cognitive behavior therapy I had the confidence to finally quit the anti-depressants after my doctor convinced me that my dose was so negligible it was truly not making a difference to be on them. My doctor also encouraged me to eat a lower carb diet than the typical high carb, low fat American diet. I can't even begin to tell what a huge difference this has made for my anxiety and depression. It's striking. When I eat carb heavy meals again within days I'm having huge mood swings and start feeling depression bringing me to a low place. When I get back on the lower carb, high protein, high fat diet again I experience sugar/carb withdrawals and then within a week I feel so much more even keeled again. There is so much more research that needs to be done studying hormones, insulin, and depression. While I definitely encourage you to seek out help and support from doctors and friends and family, I also encourage you to consider looking at your diet and seeing if you notice any change. I'm not even super strict with mine and I notice a huge improvement. I eat mainly paleo about 90% of the time. Best wishes to you, OP. I really respect and admire you for reaching out to others!

Posted by: Xanax ( )
Date: May 19, 2013 11:46PM

Chew a hot chili pepper and do exercise :)

Works for me when I'm down and I need a little boost.

Posted by: snuckafoodberry ( )
Date: May 20, 2013 12:25AM

Some people really do benefit from it. I took one for 3 months to correct a hormonal imbalance and did not like it. It was Lexapro. It did three bad things: 1) had a hard time orgasming. I did not like that one bit. 2) made me gain weight. 3) made me not care either way about anything.
After 3 months I said no to Lexapro. But I was never really depressed. I think a proper diagnosis and trying out different kinds and doses is the only way to go about it.

Posted by: kestrafinn (not logged in) ( )
Date: May 20, 2013 12:47AM

I'm a new mom (10 week old on Tuesday) and sought help from my doctor at eight weeks post partum when the "baby blues" were not only not subsiding, but getting worse. I was struggling to breastfeed, had to go back into the hospital due to a gallbladder attack (which developed into pancreatitis), and had to deal with two surgeries in eight weeks (c-section and gallbladder removal). I'm still struggling with feeling miserable about being a mom and not being able to enjoy what everyone's telling me should be a wonderful experience.

My OB/GYN prescribed Zoloft specifically because it was the safest with breastfeeding. He also is getting me into a therapy program in hopes to decrease the time I'll be on medication.

I hope that you get the help you need. I strongly urge talking with your OB/GYN about the possibility of postpartum depression and work with your doctor from there to determine your best route of care.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 20, 2013 12:51AM

I finally got Prozac and was on it for years. Having a baby changes so much (I had twins). I still don't feel myself and my twins are 27 years old. Prozac eventually made me worse than better. I've been off anything for a while. I did take 10 mg of Prozac for a year after my dog died a few years ago--and that was the perfect dose. The higher they put my dose of Prozac, the harder it was to get off the bed.

Walking helps me a lot WHEN I DO IT. When my twins were small, I walked 5 miles a day. It made so much difference. I also worked a part-time job in the evenings and my husband would tend the babies.

Posted by: celeste ( )
Date: May 20, 2013 01:13AM

I have been under treatment for depression and anxiety and after years of fighting it, went on meds. There are physiological reasons in your brain for depression (and for anxiety too). If you go to your doctor and officially diagnose you, there are many, many drug options. My psychiatrist (I go to one to manage my meds) uses some genetic testing to narrow down the list. For example, the tests showed that I have a gene variant that means that my brain doesn't tell my stomach it's full. FOr that reason, the doc avoided the common weight gainer meds and put me on a different class. They work great for me, I am still here (which if you had talked to me six months ago was not looking good) and I have actually had reduced appetite and healthy weight loss.

I got so bad last fall that I ended up in a partial hospitalization program that saved my life. Meds, cognitive behavioral therapy, dialetical behavior therapy and weekly therapy sessions. I am turning my life around and managing my depression and anxiety (if you truly have these disorders, they need to be managed since there is not a magic cure). Everyone on this board wants to help and means well. We can all share our experience, but this treatment is a lot of art with the science, so let me echo others and say start with your doctor. My psych also tested my vitamin D levels (ridiculously low) so I take Vit D and fish oil every day, both of which have been found to help (because Vit D and Omega 3 deficiences also have bad effects on your brain chemistry, not because they "fix" depression). My doc told me how much to take. I still have lots of rough spots. Some days I still feel sad for no reason, but I am getting better. I wish the same for you.
Best of luck,
Celeste

Posted by: omreven ( )
Date: May 20, 2013 03:07AM

Sometimes antidepressants take out that niggly sh!t that infects your brain so you can focus on the big issues. It can offer focus so you can make positive changes. Pills do not have to be permanent, but a tool for healing. In some cases it's permanent...you'll figure that one out on your own. I think some talk therapy might be useful as well.

Not all antidepressants work well or work fast. There may be some trial and error where you taper up, bad choice, taper down, try a new one. This probably won't happen. I am bringing it up so you are not discouraged on the process if it does happen and so that you know it's a normal possibility.

You can Google-research and discuss with your doctor what the best plan of action is. Perhaps a psychiatrist might enter the picture.

I love this site: http://www.crazymeds.us/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HomePage

Posted by: omreven ( )
Date: May 20, 2013 03:07AM

Sometimes antidepressants take out that niggly sh!t that infects your brain so you can focus on the big issues. It can offer focus so you can make positive changes. Pills do not have to be permanent, but a tool for healing. In some cases it's permanent...you'll figure that one out on your own. I think some talk therapy might be useful as well.

Not all antidepressants work well or work fast. There may be some trial and error where you taper up, bad choice, taper down, try a new one. This probably won't happen. I am bringing it up so you are not discouraged on the process if it does happen and so that you know it's a normal possibility.

You can Google-research and discuss with your doctor what the best plan of action is. Perhaps a psychiatrist might enter the picture.

I love this site: http://www.crazymeds.us/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HomePage

Date: May 20, 2013 03:33AM

Hi,

Just one more thing: there seems to be evidence that suggests that benzodiazepine use significantly elevates cancer risk, and mortality risk from cancer. Correlation doesn't necessarily imply causation, but it's difficult to come to anything other than the conclusion that taking psychotropic or other drugs is like playing Russian roulette. They may help in some ways, but cause harm in other ways.

No matter what we do--including not taking any drug at all--there are tradeoffs. We can never be certain as to what the outcome of our choices will be, because often, we're dealing with incomplete information and we're forced to guess.

If possible, avoid benzos. If you can tolerate SSRI's and they help, maybe they're safer. If you need benzos, take them at the minimal possible dose, for as short a time as possible. And if you're trying to find a psychiatrist, try hard to find one who suffers from a mental illness and actually takes drugs for it.

Best Wishes,

Steve

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.