Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: bella10 ( )
Date: September 02, 2014 08:38PM

I recently moved into my first non-mormon housing situation and one of my roommates is a total hippie and she drives me nuts sometimes. Right now her BO is driving me mad. She spends a lot of time outdoors working in the garden, hiking, biking....She doesn't wear deodorant and doesn't wash her clothes because she wants to conserve water. She does shower but she always smells bad because of her clothes. I am moving out in a couple months and cant wait to get away from the smell.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Alpiner ( )
Date: September 02, 2014 08:49PM

Vicks Vapo-Rub under your nose will at least hide the hippie smell.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: September 02, 2014 08:50PM

New rule when interviewing roommates - the small test! :-)

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: September 02, 2014 08:55PM

If you have access to her clothing, rub unscented antiperspirant on the armpits and crotch of her clothing. Problem solved.

My room mates and I did this with one of our hippie room mates. It worked wonders. Be sure you put in on the inside of the clothing.

Date: September 02, 2014 09:02PM

Hahaha, that is a really good idea.

Posted by: Ihidmyself ( )
Date: September 03, 2014 09:56AM

breakfast? Having a serious Homer moment here uhhhhh, shudder.

Posted by: lily ( )
Date: September 02, 2014 09:02PM

OMG I just went through a NIGHTMARE situation.

Needed a new roommate because my roommate at the time move in with her boyfriend.

I went with a girl who was moving out to my area from the east coast. (So, we didn't meet in person.) She ended up being the absolute worst thing I could imagine.

Very hippie dippy, which I don't totally mind, but she just kept pushing it. She would come to me every 15 minutes asking if it was time to turn the central air off yet. Bitch, it's 95 degrees outside, I'll tell you when it's time to turn it off. But then I wasn't "allowed" to run the oven or dishwasher or dryer when the AC was on. (She even thought showers were pushing it.)

You know the coupons that come on the back of receipts? She kept them. All of them. At one point, my entire fridge was covered in them. The real bitch of that situation is 1. they are the same dame coupons every time! and 2. THEY WILL GIVE YOU MORE. But she was very attached to them (even though they are for random things like booze and dry cleaning and brake jobs and she doesn't have a car!) and would even dig mine out of the trash to stick on the fridge.

She brought her boyfriend out for the first 4 weeks. No problem, right? She failed to mention that HE DOESN'T SPEAK A WORD OF ENGLISH. So for 4 weeks there was just this weird guy sitting at my kitchen table, waving at me, every time I left my room. He wasn't working, of course, and he would just sit there and stare and wave. So weird.

She would do awkward, almost naked yoga in the common areas. Um... take that shit to your bedroom.

She was just... weird. She doesn't watch tv or movies and in the evenings she would read, sing or play her trumpet for entertainment. (TRUMPET.)

I'd have to look up more stories (I kept a running list on my facebook) but let me tell you, it was weird. And awkward. So I gently mentioned that I didn't think we were compatible and I'd be the one to move out if she wanted, but I wasn't willing to continue with the lease. (It was 14 months due to my old RM moving in with her boyfriend early.) But she was the one to move out, and that just started my craigslist journey to find a new roommate.

That was 6 weeks of hell, including some veiled threats and scary stuff. Finally settled on an adorable, geeky guy who is a lot like myself. It's terrific.

Date: September 02, 2014 09:18PM

Oh my, that is pretty bad. I am starting to keep a tab of things she does in my journal. Did your roommate shave at all? Mine doesn't and she loves wearing tank tops. Every time she lifts up her arms it is both an unpleasant smell and sight.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: September 02, 2014 09:10PM

She's not a hippie...she's a pig. I was a hippie freak back in the day (well, sorta still am) but I showered and wore clean clothes...tell her to use her wash water to water her garden...

Ron Burr

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2014 09:37PM by Susan I/S.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: September 02, 2014 09:35PM

Haha True that!

I used to be a hippie. But never had an aversion to taking showers and smelling good. Any hippie worth their salt should smell fresh as a daisy.

The one thing I like about these people is their extreme need to save things so the major corporations have more resources for less $$$. They never thought of that. Ish.

I have a neighbor who spent 30k on solar panels. Nothing wrong with that. However, he forgot to do the math. In the 10 years (maybe) left of his life (he's 83), he will never recoup the cost. His thinking was that he's saving loads of money. Not. He spent a boat load that he'll never see a return on in his lifetime.

Posted by: MOI ( )
Date: September 02, 2014 10:07PM

I wanted to be a hippi too. Hell, I was drawing peace signs, flowers, and writing 'flower power' on everything. I even had to pick up vials of Spiritual Sky Patchouli oil from a little 'hippi store' (that's what I called it) in Kalispell, MT. LOL! And I used to have a Snoopy Feelin' Groovy poster above my bed. http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/b1/45/6a/b1456a75d30de8727e29de4bff4f5449.jpg

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: September 03, 2014 10:31AM

I second this vote. My sister is true Hippy ever since the early 70s and she never smells.

I am Hippy-lite. But, yup, you'll find buckets in my shower that I use to water the plants. And, a brick in my toilet resevoir. Grew up with drought, and just kept up with the water-saving stuff.

Posted by: Lemon ( )
Date: September 02, 2014 10:13PM

Try the lemon challenge -- instead of deodorant, squeeze a lemon - juice on hand and rub the juice under the arms.

This is remarkably effective, natural and low cost. Good for the environment too.

You can also use lemon juice when you work with fish, to get rid of the smell.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 02, 2014 10:15PM

Cartman: Hello, ma'am. I'm working to clean up the neighborhood from parasites. Do you mind if I take a quick look around your house? I'm afraid you may have hippies.

Elderly Woman: Hippies?

Cartman: [walks in and begins to rap the walls with his fist] Yeah, they've been poppin' up all over the neighborhood lately. Ms. Nelson next door had seven hippies in her basement; they usually live in colonies. [raps on the wall and the pitch changes] Hm, I don't like the sound of that. Could I take a look in your attic?
[The attic. He opens the door and looks in. He gets out a flashlight, turns it on, and looks around again. He stops after a few seconds.]

Cartman: Oh yeah, boy. Take a look at this, ma'am. [she climbs up until her eyes are level with his] See that? Hippies. [five hippies are sitting in a clearing in the attic, smoking and laughing.]

Elderly Woman: Oh my.

Cartman: These are what we call the uh giggling stoners. Pretty common form of hippie, usually found in the attics. Problem is, if you see one hippie, there's probably a whole lot more you're not seein'. Uh, whe-where's the backyard.
[The backyard. The elderly lady opens the door and Cartman walks out onto the back porch]

Cartman: Yep, that's what I thought. See that? You've got a drum circle in your backyard. [eight hippies are seen seated around a small cmapfire drumming away. Logs are scattered around them]

Elderly Woman: Oh, well they showed up a few days ago, but I didn't think they were hurting anything.

Cartman: Yeah. You know, I had a guy in Jackson county. He had a little drum circle in his backyard. It turned into a drum circle four miles in diameter. You get a few hippies playing drums and next thing you know, you got yourself a colony.

Elderly Woman: Oh dear.
[back inside the house]

Elderly Woman: Oh, well, so, so what do I do?

Cartman: [goes back to rapping the walls, then stops] Well, your attic could be so we can fumigate with polymerethane. The drum circle we're gonna have to gas. [raps again. The wall begins to crack and he steps aside. A hippie breaks through and falls to the floor. Cartman says under his breath] Goddamnit! [pulls out a fire extiguisher from his backpack]

Hippie 1: [dazed and confused, coughing] Whoa, how did I get here? Man, I'm so high.

Cartman: Goddamn hippie! [opens fire. Foam spews out from the extinguisher]

Hippie 1: Whoa, dude!

Cartman: Get out of here!

Hippie 1: Not cool! [stands up and loods at Cartman] What's up?! [runs off]

Cartman: Ma'am, I need to clear out your giggling stoners and your drum-cricle hippies RIGHT NOW, or soon they're gonna attract something much worse!

Elderly Woman: Ooooo.what's that?

Cartman: The college know-it-all hippies.
[The neighborhood, day. A red car pulls up to the curb. On the back window is a decal which says "University of Colorado at Boulder" Three men and three women step out of the car]

Driver: [wearing green jacket] Wow, my friend Brittany was right. This is a really laid-back place.

Woman 1: [wearing tan jacket] Yeah, this will be a great place to spend spring break. [Stan, Kyle, and Kenny approach them]

Kyle: Hey, let's ask them. [the boys are wearing shoulder totes with magazines peeking out from them.]

Stan: All right. [the two parties meet] 'Scuse me. [holds out a clipboard] Hello, we are selling magazine subscriptions for our community youth program. Would you like to help young people like us by purchasing a subscription of your choice?

Driver: Oh wow, you guys shouldn't be doing that. Don't you know what you're doing to the world?

Kyle: Wha- whataya mean?

Man 1: [wearing a guitar over his back] You're playing into the corporate game! See, the corporations are trying to turn you into little Eichmanns so that they can make money. [the other man is busily eating chips]

Stan: Who are the corporations?

Woman 2: [a blonde with a psychedelic fish on her shirt] The corporations run the entire world. And now they fooled you into working for them.

Stan: Are you serious?? We never heard that.

Driver: We just spent our first semester at college. Our professors opened our eyes. The government is using its corporate ties to make you sell magazines so they can get rich.

Kyle: Ugh! Those dirty liars!

Kenny: (Sonofabitch!) [throws down his shoulder tote]

Man 2: [has finished his chips] This is a really nice town you have here. That's why the corporations are trying to use you to take it down.

Stan: Well... Well what do we do?

http://southpark.cc.com/clips/103809/hippie-infestation

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 02, 2014 10:21PM

Welcome to the wonderful world of roommates. Over the many years that I had roommates I came to the conclusion that overall, 25% of roommates are wonderful, 50% are tolerable, and 25% are awful. Sounds like you got one of the awful ones.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: September 03, 2014 01:20AM

Old hippie here, but I always bathed daily, used deodorant, and washed my clothes. These smelly folks are just lazy as hell in my opinion and don't care about how anyone around them feels. I work in a professional environment (teacher at school), and one of my fellow teachers smells like a skunk that crawled out of another skunk's ass. Nobody wants to sit with her in meetings or at lunch. I have known her for years, and she is consistently stinky. You can smell her even 10 ft away. Once, she caught me off guard and bummmed a ride from me. I had to roll down the windows and it was in January. As soon as I dropped her off, I pulled over in a church yard and proceeded to wipe down my seats with wipes; thought I was going to puke. From then on I was ready with and excuse in case she asked me again.
I feel so sorry for her students. I don't know why an administrator does not have a little chat with her.
My heart goes out to you guys who are stuck with living with someone like this.

Posted by: darth jesus ( )
Date: September 03, 2014 05:01AM

yeah, glad you got the hell out of there.
never had a hippie friend or roommate. i try to stay clear, no less than 100 feet away from me.

i'm a geek in need of a roommate. just to talk to a human being for a change. i work all day, train at night some days, the rest..just chill but it gets old. it's hard to find a reliable roomamte..i'd prefer a female as they are less messy but then again, dramas may come if issues with her boyfriend.

anyway, good for you.

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: September 03, 2014 09:03AM

This condition is not limited to women. I was in the Navy and ships had very confined spaces for both work and sleep. There was a guy who smelled so badly that his crew mates in his berthing compartment physically carried him to the showers where he was scrubbed down with plenty of soap and rough scrub brushes (some were actually wire bristled brushes). It didn't work and he was eventually discharged. The dude was sick! At the the time I was as intolerant as the others, as I've aged I grew to pity him in his sickness. As I reread my post I can really see how men try to be more hands on in trying to resolve a problem. Looks like discussion for another thread.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2014 09:28AM by michaelc1945.

Posted by: The StalkerDog™ ( )
Date: September 03, 2014 04:04PM

Telling her she reeks? Seriously.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.