Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: soccer20 ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 08:12PM

So, I'm new here obviously and I'm sorry if this is in the wrong spot. I'm a 17 year old priest having some pretty strong intellectual questions go through my head about the church. I should say, I've only ever slightly grazed these topics with my mom and they were stopped, I wouldn't even try with my dad. But anyway, it's the time where I'm starting to really deeply think of everything for myself independently, and I just can't feel the spirit of the church. With so many members vehemently denying everything from evolution to homosexuality's place in society, I just have trouble accepting everything. I've seen the whole deal where someone will have a question and everyone says "talk to the bishop" but that's even a problem within itself. I don't understand how any time someone has a legitimate doubt about something in the Book of Mormon, they just aren't "spiritually partaking". Anyway, to stop rambling, any words or anything would be fantastic, I just wanted to get my thoughts out there to open minded people and have them talk back, so again, thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: soccer20 ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 08:12PM

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 08:14PM

Do you have belief in god?

I am a 17 year old also, if you want to talk more privately you could email me at nsgallup@gmail.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2013 08:23PM by nsgallup.

Posted by: icanseethelight ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 08:15PM

You are at the beginning of a long journey. I will tell you what I have told my kids.

Go to mormonthink.com and start reading.

Then read the source material, then read the apologists(all the links are there)

Then pray about it if you are so inclined.

Good luck.

The truth is pretty obvious.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 08:16PM

First of all, you don't want to get on the wrong side of your parents if they're going to make your life hard.

How long until you're out of the house?

Next, how liberal are they, with respect to you having your own ideals?

It sounds like you're a pretty practical thinking guy. The church is a silly sham, but to some, it's the most important thing in their life and they don't care whether or not it's a big lie.

Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 08:17PM

I highly suggest that you read, and read, and read on mormonthink.com. You will soon discover why you don't feel the spirit, and that much of what you've been taught your whole life is false. It doesn't feel right because it's not. You are in a tricky place because you are still living at home, and dependent on your parents. You will find support for that as well, and lots of advice. Feel lucky that you are discovering this so early in your life, instead of living it for 43 years like I did.

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 08:23PM

Indeed.

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 08:23PM

Great resource!

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 08:19PM

If you want links to lots of information about issues with Mormonism you can check out my website - www.mormonprobe.com.

If you have specific questions/concerns we can give you specific answers and/or direct you to articles dealing with those specific issues.

Posted by: Anonymoose212 ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 10:11PM

mormonprobe.com -- Mormon anal probe, to be clear.

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 11:14PM

Its best to probe Mormonism before Mormonism probes you.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 11:17PM

Ain't that the truth!

Posted by: judyblue ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 08:25PM

As a teenager I also had a hard time "feeling the spirit", and I also had a problem with just being told to talk to the bishop whenever I had doubts or questions. The answers I got were always the same - read your scriptures, pray, pay your tithing, go to your meetings - they weren't actually answers at all.

You're lucky that you're prepared to face these questions now, instead of putting it off for several more years like I did. Let me echo the others telling you to visit mormonthink.com and mormonprobe.com. You'll find answers there - real answers.

Best of luck to you.

Posted by: nailamindi ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 08:29PM

The mormon church says itself that a true church should be able to withstand any scrutiny. So do some scrutinizin' and see what you find.

The thing I never understood myself is why the mormon church thinks it should be able to define what truth is AND the method for determining truth. That's like a con-man telling you his pyramid scheme is going to make you money, but only letting you use HIS "special math" to evaluate that claim. You should be able to use the same method for determining truth in science or criminal trials or religion. Religion doesn't get its own rules. Don't let people tell you that some warm fuzzy feelings trump real history and facts. I call bulls&%^ on that one.

In fact, if you do a little searching on religious experiences, you'll find that people of pretty much every religion (as well as people on shrooms) describe the exact same thing for powerful religious experiences. If God really does want all her kiddos to go to heaven, don't you think she'd make the method of figuring out how to do that a little more reliable?

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 09:17PM

When I was a kid there was a framed quote on the wall inside the chapel that said, "Know the truth and the truth shall set you free." Just do it. Best advice ever. Research and thinking will lead you to the truth. Not faith.

Read it all. Trust your own mind. And when there is a big inconsistency, someone should explain it, not just tell you to have faith. That's a cop-out. Facts, not faith.

Trust your own critical thinking skills. Thousands of years of evolution made your brain really sharp, only you can dull it.

Posted by: Checker of minor facts ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 09:33PM

Yes, I've been where you are now. You are very soon to discover that the church is completely, and verifiably false. When that happens, don't take it hard, just keep looking forward. You're young luckly, and you have your whole life in front of you.

Next, what are your plans for the future? Where are you going? What do you want to do with your life? IMHO, these questions are very important to a young guy like you right now.

Posted by: wolfsbane ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 09:38PM

I prayed to God, asking him if the church was true and if he even existed, thousands of times in my life. I never once felt like I had received an answer. I figured there must be something wrong with me. I'm a very logical person and not very emotional at all. I make life decisions based on logic and common sense where most of my family and friends make decisions based on emotions and how they feel.

This set me apart from everyone I knew in the church. Even though I never felt the spirit I kept going and went on a mission (worst 2 years of my life and I was in an AWESOME place - England!!!) then came home and married in the temple. The church stole thousands of hours from me and tens of thousands of dollars I will never get back.

I learned the truth only about 4 months ago. I resigned and stop attending in February and it was the best decision I ever made. You are in a tricky situation where you still live at home. Like others have said study Mormonthink like you have always been told to study the BOM. Learn the true history and doctrine of the church. Then when you are old enough to move out and support yourself you can tell your family. But don't expect it to go over well. My dad wont speak to me and my mom just cries like a baby when she sees me and refuses to speak to me. It's not easy but it's worth it to be free.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2013 09:39PM by wolfsbane.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 09:41PM

Remember there is no rush to be confrontational. Just study and explore on your own. Read everything.

Check out Demon Haunted World by Sagan from your library.

Recognize that most people older than you have never questioned anything.

There is no right way to work through this. Observe and you will see. The facts have always been obvious for anyone who bothers to look. Once you see, you can't go back to when you didn't know. It's a journey. Enjoy. :-)

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 11:13PM

one of the Grand Keys to understanding why many people (friends, family included) embrace / 'thrive' with Mormonism is this:

Some people enjoy being in an environment / social setting where they enjoy living-functioning in a Highly Structured situation: Making only minor decisions about their Important 'life journey' options/choices; letting others do the Heavy Lifting... sound like Mormonism?

This shouldn't be thought of as anyone being 'better' than anyone else, it's just the way things are.

Next: understand the family/ multi-generational pressure to conform to the traditions & cultural norms of Mormonism. I am hoping a sociologist will describe this (specific to Mormonism) in an accredited paper.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2013 11:30PM by guynoirprivateeye.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 11:45PM

Welcome! The Mormon Think website is a good place to start. As you continue to read the board, many additional resources will be mentioned as time goes on.

Keep in mind that Mormonism is a relatively small belief system in the scheme of things. Most people on the planet are not Mormon, nor will they ever be. Mormonism does not have a lock on human happiness as church authorities would have you believe. There are plenty of happy people out there who are not Mormon.

Mormonism is also a highly demanding religion. It requires huge chunks of your time and money, far more so than the majority of other churches.

So there are plenty of other options out there for you as you mature and eventually leave home. You can join another church or no church at all. You can choose how you want to live.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.