Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mrsostrike ( )
Date: July 01, 2013 02:12AM

Today I volunteered at a charity fundraising event for three small children who had open heart surgery. I volunteered at this event as Snow White. I own my own Snow White at your party business. I spent the day posing for pictures with starry eyed little girls (and some parents) and holding babies and helping raise money for a good cause. No it wasnt church. It was work. But I truly believe God was more with me in those moments today than he ever was with me in a sacrement meeting on Sunday.

I posted pictures on FB and none of my 500 LDS friends liked any of the pictures. Guess they showed me huh? How sad that they do not see that doing nothing is worse than helping/working on a sunday.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: formermollymormon ( )
Date: July 01, 2013 02:15AM

I'll give you major props for doing that. I think it's wonderful. I was one of those kids a long time ago. Way back then, nobody did anything like that for us. I'm sure you made their day and brought smiles to their faces.

Posted by: perceptual ( )
Date: July 01, 2013 02:18AM

Wow... amazing what you can do when you're not worried about getting into heaven.

Posted by: releve ( )
Date: July 01, 2013 02:20AM

It sounds like you had a fun and productive day. Making well children happy while you help children who are ill sounds like a blessed day indeed. Your FB friends should be ashamed.

Posted by: Kendal Mint Cake ( )
Date: July 01, 2013 05:27AM

You weren't doing it for a mormon activity - why would you expect them to like it? Non-mormon activities do not have The Spirit (tm) and must be viewed with suspicion.

Posted by: anonfornow ( )
Date: July 01, 2013 08:14PM

They believe that anything other than being at church and sitting home doing nothing after that on a Sunday, is evil.

That's how extreme and brainwashed TBMs tend to be.

Even if you did that on another day of the week, they tend to think that good acts by anybody other than TBMs don't matter.

Posted by: schmendrick ( )
Date: July 02, 2013 05:17AM

Hey, another party princess!

SA and RFM are basically my forums these days. You (and everyone else) may appreciate this:

http://theprincessforhire.com/

(or if you're an SA goon, http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3502448&pagenumber=1 )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2013 05:36AM by schmendrick.

Posted by: kriss ( )
Date: July 02, 2013 05:34AM

You did amazing job! Thank you.
Perhaps you should think about deactivating your fb account?
I did it and now Mormons can`t impact me with their judgmental, cult, sick attitude.

Date: July 02, 2013 05:36AM

I wanted to add that many Mormons are good, caring people and I love them, but some can be very, very judgmental.

Posted by: jm1chevere ( )
Date: July 02, 2013 02:00PM

Too bad this is a public forum. I am curious as to who you are. I noticed that an old friend of mine with a similar name recently deleted their FB account. Hmmmmm?

Posted by: mrsostrike ( )
Date: July 02, 2013 02:14PM

jm1chevere Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Too bad this is a public forum. I am curious as to
> who you are. I noticed that an old friend of mine
> with a similar name recently deleted their FB
> account. Hmmmmm?

I haven't deleted my account. My Name is Corinne

Date: July 02, 2013 04:39PM

I am from eastern Europe. My name is Krisjanis.

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: July 02, 2013 06:36AM

"I posted pictures on FB and none of my 500 LDS friends liked any of the pictures. Guess they showed me huh? How sad that they do not see that doing nothing is worse than helping/working on a sunday."

Might this be a god time to rethink who your real friends are??

Posted by: Highland ( )
Date: July 02, 2013 04:45PM

It's hard to care when Mormons don't "like" what you're doing. :)

Posted by: Joy ( )
Date: July 02, 2013 06:43AM

When you do something out of love, you think only of the giving. This is when you receive so much more than you give. I never had that kind of experience in Mormonism, because I always served because I was forced to. I never wanted to do things that were unnecessary and unrewarding, for people who were unappreciative.
There was a lot more love outside the cult.

I'm glad I never joined Fakebook, because it saved me the trouble of un-friending all those Mormons.

Posted by: birthgoddess ( )
Date: July 02, 2013 06:58AM

Good for you! I would have "liked" your post for sure! You need more ex-mo FB friends ;) I've purged a lot of my TBM friends.

Yeah, I've been in healthcare for years, shown up at church in scrubs after pulling an all nighter, and gotten dirty looks. Better to be sitting around patting yourself on the back for being more righteous than the rest of the world, than trying to help the rest of the world.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: July 02, 2013 10:51AM

"and none of my 500 LDS friends"

Well, there's your problem right there. Get better friends.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: July 02, 2013 11:46AM

We have a new college-aged girl in our UU church. She is from a very TBM family and went to BYU. She was very nervous the first Sunday, her first time at any other church, but someone had recommended she try it. After meeting the first three people who, when she said she was raised Mormon, said "Oh, you have to meet NormaRae," she asked someone to point me out to her. I think she was shocked to find out that I had been as TBM, maybe more, as her and of course, we hit it off right away.

So this past Sunday was our turn to work at the downtown (very inner city) soup kitchen. We do it every few months on a Sunday afternoon. I told her she'd love the experience and she said that helping in a soup kitchen was on her bucket list. So she did. It really feels like a labor of love and you come away from it feeling like "there but for the grace of God go I." (not that I believe in Grace). We always work with another church and there are many churches that participate. She asked me if I thought any Mormon churches ever participate. I looked at her and said, "It's always on Sunday." She smiled and we both just shook our heads. Not that the Mormons would get involved in any kind of community service, they have their own "service." But you would NEVER see them "working" to feed people, many of whom it's the only real meal they have all week, on a Sunday. They're home playing video games and keeping it holy.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: July 02, 2013 04:01PM

Thank you for serving. No, really. I know people say that mechanically to military people all the time, and it has become rote and sucked dry of a lot of meaning. But taking time to actually serve people without pay or rank or expectations is another thing entirely. The LDS church goes on all the time about giving people "the opportunity to serve," but that is just bullshit, as we all know. "The opportunity to serve" is code-speak for "becoming a slavey of the Mormon church." I feel that as a Mormon, I was cheated, in short, of any meaningful service to others. It's pleasant to see people doing some sort of actual service. And thanks for taking this person under your wing. I'd be anxious to hear how things go in future.

Posted by: sparty ( )
Date: July 02, 2013 12:03PM

They may not, but I would like to.

I firmly believe that charity in the service of others who are in need and not able to serve themselves is one of the most noble things we can do.

If you and I were Facebook friends, I would "like" your photos, then I would unlike them so that I could click "like" twice!

Posted by: subeam ( )
Date: July 02, 2013 12:06PM

Thank you!

Posted by: scorpionking55 ( )
Date: July 02, 2013 04:57PM

You did a wonderful thing not only did you help a lot of people but you made them forget their worries at least for awhile. This is what is important what isn't important is what a bunch of closed minded people think. Show them what you think of them and block them off your facebook page and if the have the nerve to ask why tell them to figure it out for themselves

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.