Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: NeverMo in CA ( )
Date: July 23, 2013 01:53PM

I read the "Dear Prudence" advice column on Slate regularly, and just came across this from today's column:

Q. Fiancé and Fanatical Giving: My boyfriend of three years and I are getting married in December. I am so excited! He is perfect many in many ways. There is one thing; however, that bothers me to the point of tears the times we have discussed it. He gives 10 percent of his income to his church. Yes, it is a good church, hardly a cult. And, we have agreed on a "mine, yours, ours" method of family financing. So, his 10 percent to his church, over $8,000 a year, will come out of his sole funds. This seems so foolish to me! When I ask him about it, he simply explains it as his way of thanking God. God is for free, right? I don't get it. And I really need to get some advice on how to get him to tone down his giving to a more sensible donation.

Link to original question (scroll down):

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/dear_prudence/2013/07/dear_prudence_my_boyfriend_s_son_has_moved_in_and_i_still_don_t_have_a_ring.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: July 23, 2013 01:59PM

OMG Poor girl. Somebody has got to warn her that the 10% is only the tip of the iceberg and she's definitely on the Titanic.

Posted by: derrida ( )
Date: July 23, 2013 02:17PM

Posted by: anon242434 ( )
Date: July 23, 2013 02:11PM

Interesting, how a cult can hide behind "good value." And be mistaken for truly good religion. Poor girl needs to examine the websites for cult watch.

Posted by: sstone ( )
Date: July 23, 2013 02:23PM

And did you see how Prudence answered??? OMG, she told the poster in question to tread lightly because otherwise she would be "manipulating" him. Grrrr

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.