Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: inmoland ( )
Date: July 24, 2013 12:32AM

For those interested, there's a documentary airing on Showtime this week (7/24 and 7/25 at 8 PM PST) called Virgin Tales, about a fundamentalist family that started father/daughter Purity Balls and purity seminars for girls in Colorado Springs. They advocate waiting for marriage even to kiss.

Lots of cringe-worthy footage, including scenes from a ball in which fathers sign covenants pledging to be the gaurdians and "authorities" over their daughters' virginity.

I have to go bleach my brain.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: July 24, 2013 01:02AM

I saw only part, could not finish.

I know parents have a lot going on raising kids, but that seems just so wrong to do to kids. No kissing til marriage, what's that about?

Control.

Posted by: inmoland ( )
Date: July 24, 2013 01:26AM

Control---exactly. Funny how the parents made a point of saying they were not controlling. I felt really sorry for the twenty year old living at home, waiting for God to send her a husband.

Posted by: crom ( )
Date: July 24, 2013 01:26AM

First kiss at the altar in the temple was promoted as some sort of ideal in a ward I lived in. (Bishop and wife didn't kiss till then.)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.