Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: athreehourbore ( )
Date: January 10, 2012 11:49AM

Just curious if anyone has found practicing martial arts to be beneficial, especially after leaving the church. I've done some Aikido, Tae Kwon Do, and MMA training in the past but am looking for one that matches my philosophy best (spiritual and fighting), is realistic, and offers physical, mental, and spiritual development.

I know they all do, but I'd rather have a teacher/class where meditation is emphasized and sparring is a regular part of training--not reserved for 1-2 years down the road.

The Muy Thai and Jiu-Jitsu of MMA, as well as the workouts and boxing, were HUGE for me in the highly-stressed months following my separation. I dropped 20 pounds and felt like a champ again after suffering defeat at the hands of a 130-pound neurotic wife. But MMA training alone lacks the "soul" of martial arts and the spiritual development, IMO, at least it doesn't emphasize it in class or tie it in to Eastern Philosophy, which has helped me maintain my sanity in the last few years.

Kung Fu and its various styles seem like the best prospect for now, and Jeet Kune Do. Go with the flow, be flexible and adapt, act without acting/thinking, focused mind, staying completely calm even when fists are flying at your face, meditating, cardio workout, skills development, sparring practice, flexibility, strength training...I would rather master one thing that covers 7 areas than master 7 things concurrently.

So I'm interested if anyone here practices, what, why, and what benefits you have seen.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: January 10, 2012 12:01PM

I loved it and I really, really miss it. My classmates and Sifu were amazing people. When I started, I had just gotten out of an abusive relationship so it built up my confidence.
We practiced meditation, sparring, forms, weapons, Tai Chi, and self-defense moves. I still find Kung Fu to be the best fit in martial arts for me.

I recently got back into touch with my Sifu; He's still teaching in the same city and wants me to return back to class if I move closer to the area.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: January 10, 2012 12:19PM

I love a bunch of different styles as well.

I'd say though that if you are looking more for spirituality and meditation and can find a GOOD Tai Chi instructor, do that.

And I don't mean someone who just knows enough to run a class for seniors. Find someone who knows the fighting aspect of the style.

You'll probably find the droids you are looking for with that.

Posted by: Rob ( )
Date: January 10, 2012 12:47PM

Judo is a really good workout. You spar almost every class as well at about 80%. Some people will go all out.

Not a lot of meditation stuff involved.

Funny thing though. I was really into judo while I was TBM, but once I decided I was tired of being beat up spiritually, I also decided I was done with getting beat up physically.

I still have the urge to get back into training though.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 10, 2012 12:59PM

I studied martial arts for five years -- mostly Tomiki (competitive) Aikido, but also Ki-Aikido. I think that study of martial arts is the greatest thing in the world for women in terms of building confidence and skills in self-defense.

Ki-Aikido is the more spiritually oriented of the two disciplines. Tomiki Aikido has a lot in common with Judo. I think that just about any martial art is terrific for spiritual and physical development.

Kung-Fu is an attractive style, very well balanced, and if I were younger I would have investigated it. It might be a great fit for you. I also like Jiu-Jitsu.

Posted by: athreehourbore ( )
Date: January 10, 2012 01:20PM

I LOVED the holds and the blend-and-control philosophy of Aikido, but we never sparred or practiced a more realistic scenario, and I don't totally agree with the philosophy of never hurting your opponent. Sometimes I believe people just need a good punch in the face.

Kung Fu seems so balanced and foundational. I can see myself dedicating myself to it for at least a few years then going deep into some specific style.

The Tai Chi element is yet another way that focusing on one comprehensive thing can bring the most leveraged benefits.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2012 01:21PM by athreehourbore.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 10, 2012 02:58PM

athreehourbore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I LOVED the holds and the blend-and-control philosophy of Aikido, but we never sparred or practiced a more realistic scenario, and I don't totally agree with the philosophy of never hurting your opponent.

The Tomiki style has sparring as a central element. But the sparring in Tomiki strongly resembles Judo sparring (throws as opposed to kicks and punches.)

I take your meaning, though. Two of my Aikido instructors were also highly skilled in Tae Kwon Do. They deeply loved the harder style of sparring, but their joints couldn't take it anymore. I used to watch them do their Tae Kwon Do forms after Aikido class.

Posted by: Drai ( )
Date: January 10, 2012 05:53PM

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is my second love, besides my spouse and kids. Weekends are a lot more fun (and productive) spent sparring rather than holed up in TSCC and listening to that drivel, in my experience. I really want to do Judo too, maybe when my kids are a bit older and I have more free time. Re: spiritual development, BJJ doesn't really get into that too much, but it definitely helps develop and sharpen mental focus, teaches self-discipline and helps you discover your strengths and weaknesses. Oh, and it gets you in incredible shape, too!

Posted by: darth jesus ( )
Date: January 10, 2012 07:05PM

if you are looking for a more spiritual martial art, i'd say tai chi.

if you are looking for a more physical, very effective martial art, try brasilian jujitsu or krav maga or both. 6 months and you'll be able to defend yourself just fine against pretty much anyone.

Posted by: Nelson ( )
Date: July 28, 2013 09:02AM

Hello, i am looking exactly the same as you, but TMA are way to obtuse or closed, but have good spiritual work; and contact arts (boxing, mma), are effective and practical, but lack of spiritual work. But, let me tell you what have i discovered. I entered a boxing gym, and the more experienced guys, were the more "centered" persons. Indeed they didn't meditate or have a strong inner phylosophy, but they have learnt a lot from experience, so you can learn good things from those contact arts. The best spiritual art i have met is Taichi Chen style, but i also miss to much the sparring game, i like the sparring game, because there it is where you find the caos of a real situation or fight, emerging your intuition and no-mind states. So i do both. I train both taichi and MMA. I have found extremely beneficial armonizing both traditional MA and MMA in my practice. My MMA instructor don't know i do taichi, because i think they don't understand the spiritual benefits at all, but they are good persons. Pleas feel free to email me if you want to exchange your experiencies, t would be interesting. I have trained karate shotokan when i was a kid for about 6 years, then i trained capoeira for 4 years, boxing for 2 years, and finally taichi for 2 years and MMA just 6 months and i am very happy.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.